Transfer money from Metrobank online to Thailand

Mickeymaus

I have the following situation. Normally I live in Thailand. But I have an account at Metrobank Philippines. I also have an ATM card. Sadly this ATM card was changed to a chip card and so I can't use it anymore. To get a new chip card I will have to go to the branch. There is no other way I was told. And I also cannot transfer funds to Thailand. 

BUT recently I logged  into my Metrobank account and was VERY surprised. Firstly I got an OTP via SMS at my Thai phone number what didn't work for a long time anymore. And secondly I saw that I can transfer money to my Thai bank account now. I still cannot believe it. It looked too good to be true. Did anyone use this already? 

Edited by Mickeymaus

If you have funds, and/or, your funds are deposited in Metrobank in PP, then I strongly suggest you travel over and get a new ATM card. It´s not that far if there are no health issues that make you not able to take the trip. After that, if it shows that you can transfer and you get a code to your Thai phone. Then I see no reason for it not to work.

7 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

If you have funds, and/or, your funds are deposited in Metrobank in PP, then I strongly suggest you travel over and get a new ATM card. It´s not that far if there are no health issues that make you not able to take the trip. After that, if it shows that you can transfer and you get a code to your Thai phone. Then I see no reason for it not to work.

Travelling from Pattaya to the Philippines just to pick up the new chip ATM card... ?! This is exactly what I want to avoid. The OTP SMS seems to work again now. 

Problem was that the account gets dormant after 2 years. So desperately I looked for an option to create a movement. Before I could online only transfer inside Metrobank. So I always transferred every 2 years (donated) a small amount to UNESCO - they have an account there. Of course I could have transferred some money from Thailand. But I am thinking to close this account completely. And now there seems to be an option to do this without going there. I simply transfer everything to Thailand and then it will be closed automatically. 

Do you know if it is a problem nowadays to open an account on the Philippines? Just in case if I would need one again in the future. 

45 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Travelling from Pattaya to the Philippines just to pick up the new chip ATM card... ?! This is exactly what I want to avoid. The OTP SMS seems to work again now. 

Problem was that the account gets dormant after 2 years. So desperately I looked for an option to create a movement. Before I could online only transfer inside Metrobank. So I always transferred every 2 years (donated) a small amount to UNESCO - they have an account there. Of course I could have transferred some money from Thailand. But I am thinking to close this account completely. And now there seems to be an option to do this without going there. I simply transfer everything to Thailand and then it will be closed automatically. 

Do you know if it is a problem nowadays to open an account on the Philippines? Just in case if I would need one again in the future. 

U have to be resident in the pp and only after 3 years of living there u can open an account I am here now on a tourist visa and enquired .That's the answer I got from the bank

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, andyman57 said:

U have to be resident in the pp and only after 3 years of living there u can open an account I am here now on a tourist visa and enquired .That's the answer I got from the bank

This is bad news. Wasn't a problem 25 years ago and I had accounts at several banks (at this time some ATMs often did not work and so you tried one from a different bank). Perhaps I should keep this account... But I get too old to travel ????

I have been in the Philippines 10 years ago the last time. At this time they still had a Lion Air flight Bangkok - Angeles. I was worried because Lion Air was a small company. But I will never forget these flights. A completely new Airbus. It still smelled like a new car.

27 minutes ago, PeachCH said:

Actually Metro Bank very flexible. They issued a CC card for wife without any income. 

I would call them and  ask, if

A) the transfer is possible and

B) how to solve the card problem. 

+63 2 88 700 700

I talked to them so much already. It was bad. I always get a lot of information via email but not one word that they will change the ATM cards to chip cards. One day I tried to withdraw an amount here in Thailand and suddenly the card did not work anymore. 

Then suddenly I didn't get the OTP SMS anymore here in Thailand. Many Filipinos working overseas had the same problem and also had no access to their accounts anymore... They suffered even more than me.

But their new online system seems to be great. Got an OTP again. They also list all the very many countries where you will be able to receive the OTP SMS now. Also International transfers seem to be online possible now. Very many banks are listed. For instance Bangkok Bank here in Thailand should not be a problem. But I didn't try yet. I also couldn't find any information about the fees yet. 

Not sure if I close the account if it is not so easy anymore to open a new account. It is good if you travel in the Philippines and can withdraw money with a local ATM card. 

In respect of opening accounts I read this information below. So it is still possible. Perhaps you have to ask at several branches. 

https://kittelsoncarpo.com/an-expats-guide-to-opening-a-bank-account-in-the-philippines/

On 10/20/2022 at 6:39 AM, andyman57 said:

Actually, this is not completely accurate (we moved to Phils from BKK a few months ago).  Bank rules vary slightly, but its pretty universal that you do have to be a resident and in fact they will ask for the ACR (residence card) and lease agreement.  In fact, even Filipinos must have a valid written lease agreement or proof of home ownership, which is part of the reason a very large proportion of Filipinos are unbanked (cash is still king here).

We spoke to several banks and I have never heard of 3-yr rule, although its possible it exists at a bank I never spoke with.

In the end, I decided to not bother with getting accounts in my name -- my wife is a Filipina, so eventually (after securing apartment lease, etc.) we were able to open accounts in her name.  I still can't open an account as I have no intention to get the ACR card since I can get a 12-month stamp at entry as long as I arrive with her -- very easy and puts the Thailand spouse visa (or any other visa) to shame.

Bottom line, if you close the account it will be impossible to open a new one without moving here and officially stablishing residency

Edited by eppic
  • Like 1