Reliable health insurance

jezmilar

Asking for personal experiences about reliable and trustworthy health insurance companies.  Which company are you using?
I'm 30 years old and interested in outpatient, inpatient and dental health insurance.

Thaivivat, Luma, SafetyWing, AXA, Pacific Cross, Cigna?

Thanks!

ps: I'm living in Bangkok.

Edited by jezmilar

pacific cross, because they are the best value for money, easily communicating in english (but do go through an agent), have 50% deductible, 20% discount for no claim and can top up their accident included in health.

You don't need outpatient or dental.

All can be done online, just by scanning your's signed copy of passport.

I haven't claimed yet and hope not to. But from reading they are reasonable to deal with

As said almost no reasonable cost out or dental plans that I am aware of here - and insurance is so unregulated as to be less than sure even when it seems sure.  Probably best to have foreign sourced coverage rather than deal with local policy and if working here check on SS options for coverage also.  This is not a country where people have more than required insurance (as getting payment almost requires you be among those wealthy enough to not need it).   And on the flip side it is not billboard lawyer country with everyone trying to get something for nothing.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

yes, the pacific cross has 25% surcharge for 2 years after a large claim.

Some other thai health insurance can have up to 100% surcharge for such.

Still, the pacific cross has 20% no claim discount. For up to 300k yearly I pay by myself, and by going to the governmental hospitals. So I will use it for something major, even allowing myself to go to private hospital 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2022 at 9:32 PM, NickyLouie said:

Update on this for recommendations for expat medical insurance.

Personal experience, use a policy from your home country. that has an appeal process and is covered by a ombudsman, Thai policies have no such cover and change their conditions as and when they feel like it, i have had a policy for 5 years, made a small claim for out patients, they tried every trick to avoid paying, firstly saying you did not report the symptoms within 24 hours so can  not claim, lucky a doctor had solution, then they said max claim 1900 baht per claim and can only claim 10 times a year nothing on policy about this,  just had my renewal up 80%  ps my full claim was only about 15000 baht

On 11/22/2022 at 10:21 AM, howerde said:

Personal experience, use a policy from your home country. that has an appeal process and is covered by a ombudsman, Thai policies have no such cover and change their conditions as and when they feel like it, i have had a policy for 5 years, made a small claim for out patients, they tried every trick to avoid paying, firstly saying you did not report the symptoms within 24 hours so can  not claim, lucky a doctor had solution, then they said max claim 1900 baht per claim and can only claim 10 times a year nothing on policy about this,  just had my renewal up 80%  ps my full claim was only about 15000 baht

thank you for this reply, I priced expat insurance and the costs are prohibitive.

Someone here mentioned they are happy with Cigna but I have two issues with them. Firstly, you have to send them emails over and over to get a response. Secondly, as someone else mentioned, "I priced expat insurance and the costs are prohibitive". For full coverage they want over $1,000 dollars per month. I then asked for a scaled-back plan and I get no response.

2 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Someone here mentioned they are happy with Cigna but I have two issues with them. Firstly, you have to send them emails over and over to get a response. Secondly, as someone else mentioned, "I priced expat insurance and the costs are prohibitive". For full coverage they want over $1,000 dollars per month. I then asked for a scaled-back plan and I get no response.

I came in around $600 US per month ($1 million US coverage) vs. $200 a month for 5 million baht coverage from a Thai underwriter.

I tried Pacific Cross and they used bad data to refuse coverage of coronary vascular disease and stroke.

Why would I pay for coverage that didn't cover the top 2 causes of death for man AND women planer-wide?

So...

Even though I'm under 65 years old, I went to a Thai hospital and got a comprehensive medical report.

AIA had no issue covering everything. BTW - My medical report showed no issues - which I knew to be the case.

AIA was polite and helpful, which was not my experience elsewhere.