Trip to Kalasin - Help me please

Baron Samedi

Hi guys,

So I'm planning a trip to Isaan next week.

First stop will be Kalasin and the dinosaurs.

Here is a list of questions that I have for you, Isaan farangs ????

Thank you for your time !

1) Is the area flooded right now ?

2) The dinosaur museum is roughly 30 to 40 minutes away from Kalasin, how can I get there ?

3) Apart from the dinosaurs, I've no idea what to do there for a week. Any suggestions ? Things you like, things you think I should try/do ?

4) Is there any good farang-friendly area to drink a couple beers and chill at night ?

5) Is the city easy to navigate ? How should I move around ?

7) Is the city itself of any interest or are most attractions located a few kilometers away ?

Also is the place especially dangerous ? Maybe in a specific district or at night or anything you know...

Ok thanks for your help ????

Ton Tann Market in Khon Kaen is great. Beer,food, music,undercover. Hot women serve you drinks.

Trains are good. Need a car for national parks. 3 whale rock is pretty cool in Beung Kan.

Nong Khai is a cool town for food. White Inn hotel good soi. Good food opposite. I loved walking around NK eating.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Ton Tann Market in Khon Kaen is great. Beer,food, music,undercover. Hot women serve you drinks.

Trains are good. Need a car for national parks. 3 whale rock is pretty cool in Beung Kan.

Nong Khai is a cool town for food. White Inn hotel good soi. Good food opposite. I loved walking around NK eating.

I was planning to go KK, Udon and Nong Khai before leaving for Laos.

Will deffo try that Ton Tann Market ????

I don't have a car and I don't want to drive in Thailand anyway.

National Parks won't be for me unless I find an organized trip or a bus going there.

Do you know Kalasin ? Any idea if their dinosaur museum is reachable by taxi or bus ?

Kalasin no idea. Hated Udon. Id go korat to KK to NK by train. Cheap as. Day or night options. Day scenary but hot. Korat has a big mkt, havent been but supposed to be good.

At train station in kk no taxis wait. Get the grab number. No tuk tuks either 2 times i went. Strange. At Nong Khai tuk tuks wait there 60 baht to hotel.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Kalasin no idea. Hated Udon. Id go korat to KK to NK by train. Cheap as. Day or night options. Day scenary but hot. Korat has a big mkt, havent been but supposed to be good.

At train station in kk no taxis wait. Get the grab number. No tuk tuks either 2 times i went. Strange. At Nong Khai tuk tuks wait there 60 baht to hotel.

What was wrong with udon ?

4 hours ago, Baron Samedi said:

What was wrong with udon ?

Kalasin is a big city.

As suggested, get the GRAB app as without a car you will need transport to get around to have a look. 

Last time I went to Udon Tani we stayed at the HiSo hotel, great for under B900 for 2 nights. Booked a GRAB taxi for nighttime restaurant visit and return, great.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, carlyai said:

Kalasin is a big city.

As suggested, get the GRAB app as without a car you will need transport to get around to have a look. 

Last time I went to Udon Tani we stayed at the HiSo hotel, great for under B900 for 2 nights. Booked a GRAB taxi for nighttime restaurant visit and return, great.

Kalasin population is 35,000 people. Small town.

On 10/20/2022 at 1:11 PM, Sparktrader said:

Kalasin no idea

57 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Kalasin population is 35,000 people. Small town.

How do you know it's a small town?  Other than using a population census from 2015

Edited by puchooay

29 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

So it is a big city of 5m people?

Almost, give or take.

????

I guess the poster meant it is too large and outspread to manage it comfortably on foot if you are an elderly TV member. 

48 minutes ago, puchooay said:

How do you know it's a small town?  Other than using a population census from 2015

I live there and you could walk around the whole city in a mater of hours. Compare to Khon Kaen, Korat and Udon, Kalasin is a very small town. 

Edited by nightfox
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

The OP is in his 30s

Hmmmm....

Then, why "big city"?

Everything is relative.

My Chinese girlfriend used to tell my European friends "I come from a small village". I asked her to tell them how many inhabitants her small village had. "About 100,000".

Edited by Lorry

Just now, Lorry said:

Hmmmm....

Everything is relative.

My Chinese girlfriend used to tell my European friends "I come from a small village". I asked her to tell them how many inhabitants her small village had. "About 100,000".

Thats China. Thailand only has 1 large city.

24 minutes ago, nightfox said:

I live there and you could walk around the whole city in a mater of hours. Compare to Khon Kaen, Korat and Udon, Kalasin is a very small town. 

I've been there several times. It is quite spread out when compared to other places with larger populations. Agreed the area around the bus station is small but it does continue quite a bit further. The journey heading north from Kamalasai becomes more built up each time i go there. As do the journeys out to Somdet and Yang Talat.

My point to the poster who quoted a population of 35k to say it was small is, that figure is 7 years old and only covers Tambon Kalasin, not Muang Kalasin. He' d also previously said "kalasin, no idea". Having some local knowledge is one thing, being able to use Wiki is,another.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nightfox said:

I stand corrected. Kalasin is a small town. But Kuchinari is a smallest town and Baan Suan Pheung is one of the smallest towns.

For me, if it takes a few hours to walk around then it is BIG. So to me, it's a big city, but to you it's a small town. ????

• Like 2

5 hours ago, puchooay said:

I've been there several times. It is quite spread out when compared to other places with larger populations. Agreed the area around the bus station is small but it does continue quite a bit further. The journey heading north from Kamalasai becomes more built up each time i go there. As do the journeys out to Somdet and Yang Talat.

My point to the poster who quoted a population of 35k to say it was small is, that figure is 7 years old and only covers Tambon Kalasin, not Muang Kalasin. He' d also previously said "kalasin, no idea". Having some local knowledge is one thing, being able to use Wiki is,another.

Towns dont go up in size by 3m in 7 years. Google maps shows you the size.

This is also useless to the OP or to anyone, for that matter, but I can't help myself. Whenever I see the name Kalasin my heart gives a little pang for a past Kalasinian lady-love. Gosh how those feelings linger... She might yet be a sight worth seeing if you're game.