Neighbor violating building violations (less than 3m to wall for 3 story building)

I'm looking to buy a plot of land with a good view. At the moment the plot right next to it is building a house that looks to be in violation of the building code. It's a 3 story building but it's certainly closer than 3 meters to the wall, probably closer to 1m. The house is 80%+ built, so it don't think they'd be able to change it at this point. I guess I could complain and have them block off all the windows, but this would ruin their view and I'd probably have quite an enemy as a neighbor. The current owner of the land is also unhappy with the situation and did not give permission. Any suggestions?

• Haha 1

Leave, cut any losses, and buy another plot, maybe offer moral support to the owner to go and complain to the authority.

Spend more money and buy a larger block/s so you can situate your new build further away from the boundaries. 

Land is dirt cheap here (compared to western countries) ... even in the tourist areas.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boomer6969 said:

Or, even better, don't buy in Thailand

I’ve purchased  properties in Thailand and have walked away with good profits . I now have a secluded beach front property with several foreigners who have given me their contact details should I wish to sell with that in mind I regard your comment “ don’t buy in Thailand “ as a stupid remark 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Leave, cut any losses, and buy another plot, maybe offer moral support to the owner to go and complain to the authority.

Spend more money and buy a larger block/s so you can situate your new build further away from the boundaries. 

Land is dirt cheap here (compared to western countries) ... even in the tourist areas.

Land is dirt cheap? Lmao 

Compared to L.A ..maybe.

Agri land is 10 times or more expensive here than the average western country.

1 mil per Rai is not unusual here in the south....far away from the sea and from a town

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

LA-Home-Prices-Jul-2020.png

There is NO chart in Thailand, because it's as transparent as mud wrapped in metal.  lol 

250,000 to 700,000 USD in America is how many Americans come to Thailand and relax.   It's why I'm here.   And all you falangs get all excited about MAYBE making a few dollars with zero laws to protect the falang.

Buy America.   Oh, you think you missed it AGAIN?  Wrong.  Housing Prices going to 10 billion.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JayBird said:

I'm surprised there are rules.  Anyone know where I can find a list?

Building Control

https://old.ieat.go.th › Program_IEAT › pages › Keyword

NoList of LawsLaws

1Building Control Act, B.E.2522 (1979)Details

2Building Control Act (No.2), B.E.2535 (1992)Details

3Building Control Act (No.3), B.E.2543 (2000)Details

View 70 more rows,,,, 

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

I’ve purchased  properties in Thailand and have walked away with good profits . I now have a secluded beach front property with several foreigners who have given me their contact details should I wish to sell with that in mind I regard your comment “ don’t buy in Thailand “ as a stupid remark 

Never count your profit until the money is in your bank account!

• Like 2

First mistake......and it is huge.....is,      'I'm looking to buy'     ......never, never buy in Thailand, only ever rent.

And it is no good hoping to be one of the lucky few who 'claim' to have done well/made money etc.....they are the exception.

Edited by Will B Good
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, MartinL said:

We had a 400 sq. m. plot, in an area of low-rise residential buildings, on which we were intending to build a small house for rent. 

A 4 floor hotel building went up only a metre or two from our boundary. No response from local authority (?) despite complaints from us and 3 others already living there. Backhanders maybe?

All worked out well for us - not so much for the residents now in shadow. Less than a year later, the hotel wanted our still-vacant plot so we sold it to them - for 2,250,000฿, nearly 4x the price we bought it for 2 years earlier and well above the local price for a plot like that. 

Not sure how that helps the poster?