Marijuana smoking - allowed in someone's condo room?

bbi1

There's some inconsiderate w-anker on the same floor of my condo who seems to be smoking weed in their room. Probably some short-stay tourist. Got out of the lift and the whole corridor of the floor stinks big time of weed. Also, can't open up the balcony door as often there's a smell of weed that blows in from somewhere.

Is smoking weed in a room of a condo legal? I read that it's only allowed within your residence and without annoying (e.g., smell) or disturbing people in surrounding areas: https://www.timeout.com/bangkok/what-you-should-know-about-cannabis-use-in-thailand

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/pot-smoking-tourists-not-welcome-thailand-says-health-minister-2022-08-17/

Edited by bbi1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That's a bit rude, and this coming from someone who indulges.  What's the policy of the building for smoking, anything, anything, not just ganga ?

Did you have any issues with folks smoking tobacco ?

I agree it's rude as f-uck that someone's stinking up the hallways and other people's room.

Not sure what's the building policy for smoking anything is. Guess I should ask at the Juristic office.

No issues with people smoking tobacco as far as they don't stink up the hallways and my room.

Edited by bbi1

10 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Is smoking weed in a room of a condo legal?

it's 20 baht for a police report.   not sure they will do anything.   can call that hotline number, but then they will try to ruin your life just like you are ruining theirs.  

yea, it's a nightmare.   First tell the landlord and say it's cigarettes, you have an allergy, and it's a big, big problem.  I hope you are on month-to-month and not owning..........this is easily a reason to move IF... IF the landlord doesn't care, nobody cares, and now you are living in a smoking room as they don't give a F about you. 

passive aggressive is the only way in LOS.    

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

No issues with people smoking tobacco as far as they don't stink up the hallways and my room.

Tobacco I would have a problem with.  Hate every aspect of it.  Ganga, not so much, as quality stuff smells good, but wouldn't want to smell it everyday, either.  I smoke outside at my own house, on those rare occasions, as don't care for the lingering smell on material.  

Weather-stripping for your door, even on the bottom, should spare your living space from the smell.  Sold at any DIY shop/chain.  Great for keep critters out also.

In our condo it's severe penalties for smoking (anything) in the building. Juristic reminds everyone in app and by sticking notices in all lifts at least once a month (probably when someone ignores them). Not paying the fines (which are 5000 baht per time), would have water and power cut in the room and equates not paying maintenance fees. All proceeds of fines are going to charity. Our building committee approved that and vast majority of unit owners approve of it, given the vote in the app.

If your condo doesn't have such policy - bring it up with committee and juristic.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Weather-stripping for your door, even on the bottom, should spare your living space from the smell.  Sold at any DIY shop/chain.  Great for keep critters out also.

Landlord already has one of those rubbery things installed below the door of the room. Some smell still came in that day the hallway stunk big time of weed. 

6 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

In our condo it's severe penalties for smoking (anything) in the building. Juristic reminds everyone in app and by sticking notices in all lifts at least once a month (probably when someone ignores them). Not paying the fines (which are 5000 baht per time), would have water and power cut in the room and equates not paying maintenance fees. All proceeds of fines are going to charity. Our building committee approved that and vast majority of unit owners approve of it, given the vote in the app.

If your condo doesn't have such policy - bring it up with committee and juristic.

I'll have to bring it up with the Juristic office. Not sure how much weight being a tenant has though.

15 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Landlord already has one of those rubbery things installed below the door of the room. Some smell still came in that day the hallway stunk big time of weed. 

I'll have to bring it up with the Juristic office. Not sure how much weight being a tenant has though.

There was a call for smoking to be banned inside condo’s a few years ago. 

I think smoking on balconies is already banned. 

I’m not sure if there was a law passed to ban smoking inside yet.

There may be ‘juristic regulations’ preventing smoking inside. 

But, If there aren’t and a law hasn’t been passed, I’m not sure what you can do other than move out.

Of course, moving out is easy for everyone else to suggest, but not something you want to do if you like the place and don’t want to lose your deposit. 

Hopefully the Juristic office are helpful - suggest you’ll get the law involved as you think he’s a drug dealer !!! (over egg it - that may do something !).

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

I agree it's rude as f-uck that someone's stinking up the hallways and other people's room.

Not sure what's the building policy for smoking anything is. Guess I should ask at the Juristic office.

He can do what he wants, if you don't like it, leave the country. bye bye, it's legal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There was a call for smoking to be banned inside condo’s a few years ago. 

I think smoking on balconies is already banned. 

I’m not sure if there was a law passed to ban smoking inside yet.

There may be ‘juristic regulations’ preventing smoking inside. 

But, If there aren’t and a law hasn’t been passed, I’m not sure what you can do other than move out.

Of course, moving out is easy for everyone else to suggest, but not something you want to do if you like the place and don’t want to lose your deposit. 

Hopefully the Juristic office are helpful - suggest you’ll get the law involved as you think he’s a drug dealer !!! (over egg it - that may do something !).

Spoke to the Juristic office, smoking of any substance is not allowed in the rooms. She also pointed to the fire alarms in the rooms. She said smoking on balconies are allowed. Anyone have a link to the law stating that smoking is banned on balconies?

She said next time it happens, tell them and they will come and issue a fine to that person.

Edited by bbi1

How is it possible to stink the hallway? If the weed is moderately strong 1 or 2 tokes should be enough. If taken on the balcony few people should notice. Or is someone smoking weed instantaneously insensitive to the smell they generate around them? In my experience marihuana smell is strong but if I'm not mistaken it goes away quickly. It doesn't stick to clothing and furniture like tobacco smell. Then again it may be because 1 or 2 tokes are generally enough while a cigarette will burn away for ages.