VPN Dilemma

fusion58

I use a VPN first and foremost to stream movies and TV from services like Netflix USA and Amazon Prime Video USA on an Apple TV box using the VPN provider's smart DNS feature. I've tried both Express VPN and Nord VPN. EVPN is pretty much rock solid when it comes to beating Netflix at the "cat and mouse" game, but consistently comes up short where Amazon PV is concerned. With Nord, my experience has been just the opposite, i.e., never a problem streaming Amazon PV content, but Netflix USA access is totally unpredictable and unreliable. 

My question: Has anyone found a VPN provider whose smart DNS service is reliable for both of the aforementioned streaming platforms?

In a word No.  I dumped Express and Nord and just use the VPN that came with my Norton Anti-Virus software.  I also dumped Netflix and just watch US TV programs on the network websites.  The commercials are annoying but the only network that blocks the Norton VPN has been ABC.  My only paid subscriptions are Peacock(sucks but at least I get Sunday NIght Football) and Disney+Hotstar Thailand(it was only 799 Baht for one year).  

• Thanks 1

(Again) In a word, No.

I dont use the smart DNS feature, but I have a couple of providers, I have PIA and Surfshark as a backup, but surfshark is doesnt meet my spec, but its ok for some purposes.

Have you considered a DNS provider over a VPN?

I know guys have a lot of success with this provider.

https://dns4me.net/

Its a little bit fiddly to setup, but may suit your needs.

Especially with AppleTV - you cant use a VPN with that, can you? Do you use a systemwide smartDNS?

The link I posted, you can get a real free month trial. Maybe worth a shot.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm usually happy with VPN Unlimited (KeepSolid) for Prime / Netflix US / NFL.  There are cheap lifetime deals for them out there (5 devices about $50, I think).  The streaming services do block for a bit a few times each year until the VPN finds a workaround; seems unavoidable. 

-- Retiree

• Like 1

3 hours ago, recom273 said:

Especially with AppleTV - you cant use a VPN with that, can you? Do you use a systemwide smartDNS?

Sorry, I was just flying out the door - I also have an appleTV - just to clarify I was saying, you cant use a VPN app or whatever on the ATV, you need to VPN on the router, I never played around with the smartDNS.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 11:25 AM, MrJ2U said:

I use Netflix Thailand and I don't find anything blocked.

I'm going to stop using as I've found I can stream everything from KODI free.  Just need a descent build. 

Let us know what your decent build is please. ????

25 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Let us know what your decent build is please. ????

"25+ Best Kodi Builds for Free Movies & Shows in Oct. 2022"

October 25, 2022 / Kodi Articles

Currently, the Best Kodi Builds available include:

• CrewNique
  • Diggz Xenon. (Supposedly Diggz is closing his builds and retiring).
  • Misfit Mods
  • Titanium
  • Fentastic
  • Doomzday
  • Iconic
  • Franks
  • Green Monster
  • and many more found on this list........

https://troypoint.com/best-kodi-builds/

Edited by MrJ2U

On 10/25/2022 at 2:33 PM, recom273 said:

Sorry, I was just flying out the door - I also have an appleTV - just to clarify I was saying, you cant use a VPN app or whatever on the ATV, you need to VPN on the router, I never played around with the smartDNS.

That's correct. With ATV, your only options are (a) smart DNS or (b) VPN on router, which I don't like (prefer the flexibility of being able to engage VPN only when needed.)

On 10/25/2022 at 11:25 AM, MrJ2U said:

I use Netflix Thailand and I don't find anything blocked.

I'm going to stop using as I've found I can stream everything from KODI free.  Just need a descent build. 

I use the Netflix app on my smart TV to connect to Netflix Thailand (mostly for Mrs. Fusion) and the Apple TV to access Netflix USA.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 11:19 AM, recom273 said:

(Again) In a word, No.

I dont use the smart DNS feature, but I have a couple of providers, I have PIA and Surfshark as a backup, but surfshark is doesnt meet my spec, but its ok for some purposes.

Have you considered a DNS provider over a VPN?

I know guys have a lot of success with this provider.

https://dns4me.net/

Its a little bit fiddly to setup, but may suit your needs.

The link I posted, you can get a real free month trial. Maybe worth a shot.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Subscribed.

So far, dns4me has been more reliable than my VPN's smart DNS feature when streaming content from Netflix USA. And the price is right! ????????