Multi Parametric? Prostate MRI Scan

Negita43

29 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Sorry for the delay in responding - I'm confused one response says 50K and another 25K that's a big difference.

Also am I to believe that this scan is not widely available in Thailand?

there is a difference between multi-parametric and an ordinary MRI. Hence different prices.

more to read. The are old topics

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

there is a difference between multi-parametric and an ordinary MRI. Hence different prices.

more to read. The are old topics

Yes Thanks I know because I already had one in the UK which appeared to find something - at 79 I do not want a biopsy (I don't like the risks associated with invasive tests and what am I going to do with the results anyway?) so I thought another scan here would give me an indication if it was progressing and some idea how fast.

do multi-parametric and press doctor for any medicines and the least invasive treatments.

In some countries, even in europe, doctors don't treat prostate cancer until it starts spreading. That might be too late for successful treatment. I don't know what policy in thailand is, but the poorer country the lest resources health service has, so they postpone treatment. 

If you feel doctors in the UK and in Thailand are neglecting you, do read about ketokonazole (it is on thai official hormonal cytostatic list), as well as 10 other over the counter medicines (read about drug repurposing in oncology)

• 1 month later...

Update

Got a scan in Korat at Bangkok Hospital. For anyone looking at the post it cost around 11,000 Baht - done within a week (In the UK it was free but I had to wait 3 months to get it).

Result showed no change in size of possible cancer from the UK result 14 months ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Negita43 said:

Update

Got a scan in Korat at Bangkok Hospital. For anyone looking at the post it cost around 11,000 Baht - done within a week (In the UK it was free but I had to wait 3 months to get it).

Result showed no change in size of possible cancer from the UK result 14 months ago.

To be clear -- this was a multi-parametric scan or regular MRI? I would be very surprised if Bkk Hospital Korat had the machine for a multi-parametric MRI, only a handful of places in Bkk do. And it would certainly have cost more.

Suspect you had a regular MRI.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

To be clear -- this was a multi-parametric scan or regular MRI? I would be very surprised if Bkk Hospital Korat had the machine for a multi-parametric MRI, only a handful of places in Bkk do. And it would certainly have cost more.

Suspect you had a regular MRI.

Well I asked for and asked for confirmation that I was getting a multi parametric MRI

Here is an extract from the report

DCE-MRI at the prostate T1 FS+Gd in 3 planes. Not being an expert I don't know if "3 planes" is multiparametric but as I said virtually identical result to my UK scan which was also allegedly "multiparametric"

4 hours ago, Negita43 said:

Well I asked for and asked for confirmation that I was getting a multi parametric MRI

Here is an extract from the report

DCE-MRI at the prostate T1 FS+Gd in 3 planes. Not being an expert I don't know if "3 planes" is multiparametric but as I said virtually identical result to my UK scan which was also allegedly "multiparametric"

3 planes doesn't mean multiparametric 

multiparametric means T2 (= T2WI) FS in 3 planes + DW (=DWI) + DCE-MRI

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I would be very surprised if Bkk Hospital Korat had the machine for a multi-parametric MRI, only a handful of places in Bkk do. And it would certainly have cost more.

BKH has a 3T MRI.

They can be surprisingly cheap, let's say  half of BPH, but 11000 really sounds too cheap. 

16 hours ago, Lorry said:

3 planes doesn't mean multiparametric

16 hours ago, Lorry said:

Thanks Sheryl and Lorry

All very confusing - it seems that I didn't get what I asked for - here is the full setup:

Lower abdomen: Ax T2W, T1 FS+Gd Prostate: Ax, Sag, Cor Obi thin slice FSE T2W; Ax T1W thin slice Ax DWI at b = 50, 400, 800, 1200 mm2/sec DCE-MRI at the prostate T1 FS+Gd in 3 planes.

However there does seem to be a lot of people out there referring to this type of scan as "multiparametric". Wrongly it would seem.

I don't know whether to be miffed or not as the analysis gave me virtually the same result as the UK scan 14 months ago which I also guess may not have been "multiparametric".

Edited by Negita43
spelling

36 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Thanks Sheryl and Lorry

All very confusing - it seems that I didn't get what I asked for - here is the full setup:

Lower abdomen: Ax T2W, T1 FS+Gd Prostate: Ax, Sag, Cor Obi thin slice FSE T2W; Ax T1W thin slice Ax DWI at b = 50, 400, 800, 1200 mm2/sec DCE-MRI at the prostate T1 FS+Gd in 3 planes.

However there does seem to be a lot of people out there referring to this type of scan as "multiparametric". Wrongly it would seem.

I don't know whether to be miffed or not as the analysis gave me virtually the same result as the UK scan 14 months ago which I also guess may not have been "multiparametric".

I would call this multiparametric