Confused About Red Stamps

I've heard of Red Stamps, and know they are to be avoided.   Can anyone explain to me what one is and what the implications are if you get one?   I've gotten two red visa-exempt stamps when entering Thailand by air in the past year.    I was given the full 30 and 45 days, but questioned extensively last night when entering at DMK.   Are these the dreaded "Red Stamps" I always hear about or is it just a stamp that happens to be red?   I entered both times by air.    Thanks.   

• Like 1

As @ubonjoe stated, some red stamps mean nothing.

Red stamps when applying for visas at embassies/consulates can mean trouble. Notably, instead of just telling you your application for a visa is denied, they can place a visa sticker in your passport, and then cancel it with a big red VOID stamp. That is bad news when applying for visas elsewhere, and possibly when entering at airports. Some embassies are notorious for this. They should be avoided.

Another type of stamp to be avoided is a denied entry stamp (which is often red, but not necessarily). This might happen when trying to enter without a visa (visa exemption) at airports. These can also have continuing nasty after effects (sometimes with immigration of other countries).

Overstay stamps are usually not red (though they can be) and also look bad.

If you are ever deported from Thailand, this will result in some very unwelcome stamps, but you will hopefully never be guilty of an offence that leads to anything so drastic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Onerak said:

They are at at it again at DMK just like before Covid. They are warming up. 

I had a previous non-B visa and several covid extensions, which probably didn't help.  She called her supervisor who then grilled me (politely but firmly) on what I was doing in Thailand this long.   I explained I was just a tourist not ready to go back home yet.   It was when I finally mentioned that I was planning on going home for Christmas that she finally stamped me in.