Does anyone know 6 TB EXT HDD 3.5'' ADATA HM800

Negita43

I want to upgrade my old Asustor 1002T NAS box to 6TB (Raid ) (currently 3TB)

I purchased a couple of WD NAS red plus at 3900 Baht each from Lazada but returned them as they appeared DOA.

On looking in Lazada (and Advice) there appears to be a shortage of 6TB HDDs (and they are a lot more expensive than what I paid for the DOAs (yes I know – you get what you pay for).

On Advice I noticed this product:

6 TB EXT HDD 3.5'' ADATA HM800 (ADT-8006TU32G1-CUS) at around 3700 Baht.

The reviews aren’t good for the device and it is also a USB 3 device.

However this has to have a 3.5 inch HDD (max size for a 2.5 is currently 5TB) and my guess is that the HDD is probably a SATA with a board to convert to the USB 3 input.

So my question is:

Has anyone deconstructed one of these devices? and is my guess correct  and what is the HDD - if so this maybe a source of a pair of cheap 6TB HDDs for my NAS.

6 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Yes thanks - but not at 3700 baht and yes my asustor can  go up to 12TB (I checked with Asustor)

I am sure JIB sells them according to the current market price. Maybe you can get them somewhere for 10% less but I am pretty sure that's it.

So, at least IMHO, if you want working quality HDDs then that is what you have to pay in the moment.

And if you have RAID then I guess you have that to be sure your data is protected. Do you really want to risk your data with low quality HDDs? 

As mentioned above, JIB is your best bet for buying HDs.

You really need to buy a HD specifically designed for RAID use. Desktop and external drives are a totally different spec and are more prone to fail early and lose data when used 24/7 in a NAS. NAS drives feature heat-resistant and anti-vibration design and provide 24/7 operation with higher speeds. They also may cost 10~15% more, but you get what you pay for.

By my estimation, 8TB drives are the sweet spot right now in terms of price vs capacity. Get yourself some 8TB Seagate IronWolf drives from JIB and you'll be set. Seagate has really efficient warranty service in Thailand, you'll usually get a replacement for a failed drive within 24 hours of returning it. And yeah, drives DO fail, so never use your NAS as a backup or as the sole location for your important files.

21 minutes ago, clokwise said:

As mentioned above, JIB is your best bet for buying HDs.

You really need to buy a HD specifically designed for RAID use. Desktop and external drives are a totally different spec and are more prone to fail early and lose data when used 24/7 in a NAS. NAS drives feature heat-resistant and anti-vibration design and provide 24/7 operation with higher speeds. They also may cost 10~15% more, but you get what you pay for.

By my estimation, 8TB drives are the sweet spot right now in terms of price vs capacity. Get yourself some 8TB Seagate IronWolf drives from JIB and you'll be set. Seagate has really efficient warranty service in Thailand, you'll usually get a replacement for a failed drive within 24 hours of returning it. And yeah, drives DO fail, so never use your NAS as a backup or as the sole location for your important files.

You have SMR and CMR technology. My newer disks are SMR. Horrible write speeds sometimes. But I guess the OP is aware of these differences. For Seagate drives here is an overview 

https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/internal-hard-drives/cmr-smr-list/

Edited by Mickeymaus

I really don't want to get into a debate about the quality of HDDs - my NAS has been woorking fine on WD blues for 5 years and in any event even though I have Raid, I back up to an external drive regularly. In fact I have had a Mycloud as well for the same number of years and that has just failed - guess what the - HDD is a WD RED!

Clearly no none can answer the actual question so I am going to buy one take it apart and see what's inside (It will almost certainly be a Seagate or WD) the only issue is is the controller board - USB or SATA - I've seen plenty of 2.5 drives with a USB controller but never a 3.5 they are normally (these days) SATA.

Thanks everybody for your input.

ADATA doesn't make hard disks. It should either be WD, Seagate or Toshiba. Latter seems the cheapest, but not much experience with them. Most of my drives are WD and yet to have one die. Seagate just died on me last week, but that's after quite a while. My NAS (Netgear ReadyNAS) is using WD Blue (not Red) drives and has been running for a long time. Another QNAP is using SSDs (ADATA) with 3.5" adapters. I do have all of them on UPS, as I have faced data corruption on abrupt power failure before.

Edited by tomazbodner
it's QNAP not QNas

20 hours ago, Negita43 said:

However this has to have a 3.5 inch HDD (max size for a 2.5 is currently 5TB) and my guess is that the HDD is probably a SATA with a board to convert to the USB 3 input.

So my question is:

Has anyone deconstructed one of these devices? and is my guess correct  and what is the HDD - if so this maybe a source of a pair of cheap 6TB HDDs for my NAS.

Just realised this was your actual question. I have not. But - I've deconstructed Seagate and Western Digital both 2.5 and 3.5" drives. And Seagate was using SATA3 with an adapter to USB, however WD did not. The drives had USB connector at the back and could not be used as internal drive. I'm talking about external USB connected hard disk drives. If box is from ADATA it is likely SATA drive inside and a converter to USB, since if using WD's USB connected drive, it would identify as WD external drive, in my opinion. Seagate anyway doesn't make hard disks with USB connectors on internal drive. Never opened Toshiba so no idea. But likely from 3rd party it would be SATA drive anyway.

30 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Your idea to get cheap 6 TB disks is tempting. I talked to Advice about this product 

https://www.advice.co.th/branch-a004/index.php/product/productdetail/A0136865

It is even cheaper now with 2990. There is only one problem. "This one we don't have" I was told just before. 

Yes I tried to order 1 hour ago and got the "out of stock" mesage also

- all the best laid plans eh My gues is itwould be a WD blue inside

Thanks for all the input

38 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

If you look on Lazada - the AData device is listed at more than double the Advice price - Somebody caught on early to the way to cheap 6TBs including the suppliers!!!!

I think here you might find what you want to know. It is in Chinese but he dismantles it. 

4 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

I think here you might find what you want to know. It is in Chinese but he dismantles it. 

Thank you very much it confirms my thoughts it doe have a usb to SATA board which means that the hard disk would be SATA. Sadly however if you read my last couple of posts I think the oppertunity of cheap 6TB disks has passed I have looked on AliExpress but I cannot find Adata moodel there.

Thanks again

To conclude my posts on this subject.

I am intrigued by what is going on in the HDD world.

In my previous posts where I was trying to get the best price for two 6TB HDDs for my NAS.

My thoughts at the time were there seems to be a shortage of well priced 6TBs.

I’m still looking for a way to increase my NAS capacity at a reasonable price and in my search I am more and more convinced that there is an HDD supply issue with 6TB

Just look at these prices for Seagate Skyhawks on Lazada:

Disk                                    Cost per TB

3TB 2850                                         950

4TB 3080                                         770

6TB 5090                                         848

There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to these prices based on cost per TB so I can only assume that the prices are based on demand.

So here is what I am going to do;

Buy 2 4TBs and a Zyxel 2 bay NAS (basic but adequate for my needs and this will replace my MyCloud 1 Bay which had a corrupted WD RED HDD  and which as much as I have tried I cannot write a disk image to another HDD and get the MyCloud up and running).

This  gives me 7TB of RAID enables storage across two separate NAS devices (the AS1002T and the Zyxel).

Total Cost: HDDs 6160 Zyxel NAS 3300 Total  9460 which is just less than two 6TBs.

Thanks everybody for your help on this matter.

Edited by Negita43
Grammar