Using agents for visas

7 minutes ago, DezLez said:

WRONG!!!!!!!

not wrong. many people using agencies in Thiland because they dont have the necessary things to get the visa or extend the visa. 

people who can do, they just go to immigration and do in 1 day for max 3000 baht

i dont say anything to people using agency just because they dont want to deal with the immigraton. but they have all the things legal. 

11 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I disagree with most of what you write.

I don't know how many people use agents in which way. But I know plenty of people who are legally in Thailand and who don't need any illegal support but who use agents. The reason is that it is so much more convenient.

I.e. with my yearly business visa extension my agent, hired by my company, arrives at the immigration maybe at 6am. I see him at 8:30, walk with him to the immigration officer's "office", wait maybe 3 minutes before the previous person is processed, and then I sit with the officer, smile in the camera and a few minutes later I walk away. All done. No hassle. And if there are any questions then the agent works them out. Perfect! Currently my company pays for that, but I would pay it myself just for the convenience.

Now about the situation which are impossible without an agent because one or several people have to be bribed. I think people should only use this if they are desperate and have no other option. Why? Because things can go wrong. I remember an agent from years ago who seemed to be able to get miraculously lots of visas for lots of people. All was wonderful. Until the moment when the agent had to leave Thailand, within days. Out, or else. It seems he was doing the official stamps by himself in his office. Approved, sure...

Now I wonder what happened with those people who used his service and received visas which were just done with a fake stamp.

Sorry sir, you were illegal in Thailand for the last three years... 

Obviously that doesn't have to happen. But I think people who want to live here should keep that in mind when they ask agents to do the impossible.

with all respect i think we all can understand what the OP post means and what he is asking. obviously he is not asking things like this. And obviously he is asking something like if he can use the agency if he hasn't got the necessary visa requirements. and he wants to know if its legal or not. OR he wants to know if an agency do his visa which hasnt got the necessary visa requirements will be legal or not if a police asks him to see his visa or likewise situations. 

he asked if the agencies are legal or not and i simply explained him they are legal yes. i also explained him WHEN they are not illegal. so he can choice his answer.. 

• Like 1

From THAILAND IMMIGRATION ACT, B.E. 2522 (1979)

Rate of fees, working fees, and other expenses (Page 38)

(3) Application for extension of temporary stay in the Kingdom under Section 35, per person, each time 2,000 baht 

Unofficial translation http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsitedata/outsite21/file/Immigration_Act_B.E._2522.pdf

Edited by jerrymahoney

Whatever people are saying here, visa agents are an "institution" in Thailand and working hand in hand with the Immigration and Bangkok bank since many, many years. If you are over 50 and don't have the required financial resources, then use an agency. 

Without this agents, Pattaya would be very empty!! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BritTim said:

This has been discussed many times. There are ways it can be done, taking advantage of (deliberate) loopholes in the law., With care by the agent it is legal, although it involves what looks like corruption. Besides the apparent corruption which operates indirectly, a senior official abuses his discretion in allowing the extension, but that does not make it actually illegal. If the official's superiors do not turn a blind eye, he could be disciplined (without any actual laws needing to be broken).

In the event of a crackdown, you have broken no laws even if, clumsily, the agent has. You are paying the agent to help with your application, and have plausible deniability over the ethics and legality of the methods used by the agent to process your application. The worst that might reasonably happen is that other disapproving immigration officials could give you a hard time in future. See, for instance, what happened after the dubious scheme involving volunteer visas and extensions during Covid. There was a kind of crackdown, but no one prosecuted for any crime.

Yeah, but really? We know better right? 

57 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Some proof of that would be acceptable, otherwise it's just your opinion.

I used an agent and worth every baht to eliminate the stress. I did have the required money in the bank for the required time.

The only thing I really disliked about Thailand was the immigration office, with their made up pointless rules about such as size of photo, colour of pen, and the worst one of all- having to update bank book on same day. What difference does one day make, especially when a withdrawal would be printed in the bank book? None, but it does make it far more difficult than it needs to be.

I reckon they sit around making up stupid rules to annoy us.

While I agree updating the bank book on the same day is annoying, it's not that hard. I go to the cash deposit machine outside the bank at 7 am, deposit 1000 baht. Then move to the passbook update machine. Takes a couple of minutes.

IMO the rule is there because it is possible to withdraw an appreciable amount of funds using a linked debit card without those withdrawals showing in the passbook.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Yeah, but really? We know better right? 

You and I certainly do, but I am pretty sure that many using agents have no idea of the requirements for their extensions. I would also be completely truthful in stating that I had no desire for the agent to do anything illegal.

Edited by BritTim

6 hours ago, problemfarang said:

with all respect i think we all can understand what the OP post means and what he is asking. obviously he is not asking things like this. And obviously he is asking something like if he can use the agency if he hasn't got the necessary visa requirements. and he wants to know if its legal or not. OR he wants to know if an agency do his visa which hasnt got the necessary visa requirements will be legal or not if a police asks him to see his visa or likewise situations. 

he asked if the agencies are legal or not and i simply explained him they are legal yes. i also explained him WHEN they are not illegal. so he can choice his answer.. 

And you get your above interpretation of what he actually wants to know from this simple question? Amazing!

8 hours ago, Chainsaw said:

Is it legal to use an agent to get a visa