Using agents for visas

10 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Back to the OP... It is not Illegal to use an Agent, it's not even Illegal to get an extension without the necessary finances being in place (Senior IOs have the discretion to wave the requirement)

Even if a senior IO does have the discretion to waive other requirements per Section 35, he/she does not have the right to charge more than 2000 baht 

Just be wary of anyone who says it's 100% legit, 100% no concern, 100% fully complaint and blah blah blah....then it's 100% shady.

Of course there is a risk!!!!    The percentage of risk is likely already known in your head.  It probably ranges from 5 to 90% of risk, depending on why you need this agent.   No need for a thread, you know the answer in your head.   I need an agent for my business, OK!!!  I need an agent to stay off the beaten path for 10-years while eating 10 baht noodle soup because I have no money.......see, not same same!!  lol

2 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Even if a senior IO does have the discretion to waive other requirements per Section 35, he/she does not have the right to charge more than 2000 baht 

... and, indeed, he does not. If he personally demanded more than the official fee, that would be illegal. Of course, if someone else received a monetary advantage, there would be no breach of Section 35.

• Like 1

The extension I got using an agent is as legit as the guy who painstakingly collected all paperwork themselves. I do my own now but renew my extensions as early as possible so if there's a glitch I still have time for an agent to get the job done for me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BritTim said:

... and, indeed, he does not. If he personally demanded more than the official fee, that would be illegal. Of course, if someone else received a monetary advantage, there would be no breach of Section 35.

What someone else The RTP Widows & Orphans Fund? or just Plausible Deniability?

Edited by jerrymahoney

Just now, BritTim said:

I have probably said too much already. Let's just say that any possible generosity shown by the agent is not going to a registered charity.

Plausible deniability is the ability of people, typically senior officials in a formal or informal chain of command, to deny knowledge of or responsibility for any damnable actions committed by members of their organizational hierarchy. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plausible_deniability