Finding teaching work in Bangkok -how to do it?

Deserted

Hi all, I have just arrived in Bangkok and would like to work here. I've applied to a few things on-line but haven't had much response. I was wondering if anyone had any advice from previous experience on how to go about it? I am experienced and qualified but aged 50 I notice I am too old for some jobs. Does cold calling help much in Bangkok? What about social networks? Would Linkedin help much? Has anyone found means of finding work that the Thais seem particularly responsive too? Any thoughts would be appreciated. It may seem like a silly question to ask but the last time I was in Bangkok I also found it to be tougher than I expected. Where's best to look? Shopping Malls?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Deserted said:

I've applied to a few things

ah, OK.................slightly confused, but no worries.

AJARN jobs            Put that in the 'ol Googler and should be easy peasy.....low pay, bad jobs, but the system is so broken that anyone who can string together a few A,B,C's should be OK until they fix or patch the problem.

Normally, I'd be like, "no way!" but I've seen much, much, much worse.    Years ago I met many, many English teachers who couldn't speak English.   I can't imagine things have changed after COVID.

Let me just say that I had about 6 teaching job offers from international schools in Myanmar (120,000 THB, every school that I applied to made me a job offer), one job offer from a school in Cambodia (100,000 THB, I only applied to one school), and absolutely zero interest from every school in Thailand that advertised for teachers - not one of the 50 or so schools that I applied to replied to my email... I'm 63 years old.  These were not international schools, they were low-paying government and private schools, circa 30k - 40k per month.

Since it is proving difficult to return to Myanmar (business visa problems - they won't let me back in!), I've decided to go and relax somewhere in Thailand and forget about teaching in this country - ageism is alive and kicking here ????

Edited by simon43
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Let me just say that I had about 6 teaching job offers from international schools in Myanmar (120,000 THB, every school that I applied to made me a job offer), one job offer from a school in Cambodia (100,000 THB, I only applied to one school), and absolutely zero interest from every school in Thailand that advertised for teachers - not one of the 50 or so schools that I applied to replied to my email... I'm 63 years old.  These were not international schools, they were low-paying government and private schools, circa 30k - 40k per month.

Since it is proving difficult to return to Myanmar (business visa problems - they won't let me back in!), I've decided to go and relax somewhere in Thailand and forget about teaching in this country - ageism is alive and kicking here ????

You are correct on that one Ageism is alive and well.  Additionally, they do not seem to want a person over 50 who has been disability retired either.  Many rejections for Supervisory/Management positions as I was either to old, or at a second glance they found I was medically retired due to many work related disabilities.

8 hours ago, Onerak said:

Hmm Shopping malls? What jobs in Shopping malls you expect to find?

Actually, a lot of Bangkok shopping malls have language schools.  The OP could try Ekkamai Gateway as there are about 5 schools on the 3rd floor, or the Trendy in Sukhumvit soi 13, Centralworld (offices). Do some Googling...

Edit:  Just seen your reply too @JaiMaai @proton @ThailandRyan- you got there first!

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...