Registration/Recognition of Foreign Marriage in Thailand

Basso53

Myself and my good Thai lady were recently married in Melbourne while she was on holdays. This marriage plus and Aussie bank account will enable her to access a certain percentage of my Defence Forces Retirement Pension once I die. I told her she needs to keep me upright and breathing for 3 years at least to qualify, anyway this is what I want for her. So the Aussie marriage was planned and beneficial for both of us. We are now living together in her home in CM whilst she teaches during the week and I relax and look after the house and dog.

My question is; are there any advantage/s for me in travelling down to BKK to have this marriage registered/recognized in Thailand other than the marriage extension which of course I'm not on nor interested in.

Cheers

No need to travel down to BKK. My wife and I, both non-Thai but different nationalities, were married originally in Singapore. We used an agent in CM and a couple of months later we had the corresponding document translated, notarized and stamped by the relevant Thai ministry. All for a reasonable fee and without travelling anywhere.

Whether this is useful for you, it's your call but as a personal comment we used it a few times already.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2022 at 3:20 PM, ubonjoe said:

Not visa or extension related. Moved to the Marriage and Divorce forum.

There is a relevance to extensions.

If an overseas marriage is registered at a local amphur what documents are needed from the amphur to support an extension application based on marriage.

It seems from the few replies other than the marriage extension there is little reason to have my Aussie marriage to a Thai national recognised in Thailand.

I refer to my wife as my Aussie wife because of this laugh laugh.

Cheers.

No other reason if some crisis happens, and there is an advantage to be registered as married to get extended stay, priority to travel back to your wife in Thailand if seperated from each other. Thats why I want to be registered now, and get marriage certificate translated, translation stamped and verified at the embassy and for then registered at our Ampure. 

• Thanks 1