Archives in GMail.

NoshowJones

I have started using Gmail, and am happy with it, I have read all the instructions, but one big problem.

I cannot put anything in "Archives", everytime I try to put something in "Archives", it always goes to "Important".

I also have Hotmail and Yahoo, and it is no problem, I just click on "Archives" and there it is, so as I say, why can't I put anything in Archives on Gmail?

Edited by possum1931

I'll tell you what works for me.  I create a separate label, nested under ARCHIVED Messages, for each correspondent from whom I wish to save emails. 

• First click on the three horizontal bars in the top left of the Gmail screen.  This will open the Main Menu down the left side.
  • Within this main Menu, find the LABELS designator and click on the PLUS (+) sign to open a dialog box.
  • Inside the dialog box enter a new label name (e.g. "Uncle John", if you want to archive messages from your Uncle John; and then click the check box to nest the label; and finally select ARCHIVED Messages as the label under which to nest Uncle John's label.

Now, when you wish to archive a message from Uncle John, just drag the message from the inbox to the label for Uncle John.

• Love It 1

8 minutes ago, pablo el sueco said:

I'll tell you what works for me.  I create a separate label, nested under ARCHIVED Messages, for each correspondent from whom I wish to save emails. 

• First click on the three horizontal bars in the top left of the Gmail screen.  This will open the Main Menu down the left side.
  • Within this main Menu, find the LABELS designator and click on the PLUS (+) sign to open a dialog box.
  • Inside the dialog box enter a new label name (e.g. "Uncle John", if you want to archive messages from your Uncle John; and then click the check box to nest the label; and finally select ARCHIVED Messages as the label under which to nest Uncle John's label.

Now, when you wish to archive a message from Uncle John, just drag the message from the inbox to the label for Uncle John.

Many thanks for the clear and helpful advice. Much appreciated!

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Many thanks for the clear and helpful advice. Much appreciated!

Yes I did that on Hotmail, created my own file and it worked, but one of the reasons I chucked Hotmail is when I put something in any either my own file or "Archive", some of my posts would just disappear. At first I just thought I had maybe done something to cause it, but it happened so often that I know that wasn't the case.

I transfer the important posts to the Archives in Yahoo, and they have always stayed there until I deleted them myself. That proves to me that Hotmail was completely at fault.

I just want to use the Archive on Gmail by clicking on it the same as in Yahoo.

1 hour ago, pablo el sueco said:

I started this approach for my Gmail archive over a year ago, and I no longer recall whether Gmail established the ARCHIVED Messages Label, or whether I created it.  If you don't already have an ARCHIVED Messages Label,  you can add it yourself if you want to.  Here's a screenshot of the way my Labels look within the Gmail Main Menu.

683793751_Screenshot2022-10-28at14-25-18ARCHIVEDMessages-pabloelsueco@gmail.com-Gmail.png.6ca66f053691e4b14e2c8914a45fcef4.png

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes I did that on Hotmail, created my own file and it worked, but one of the reasons I chucked Hotmail is when I put something in any either my own file or "Archive", some of my posts would just disappear. At first I just thought I had maybe done something to cause it, but it happened so often that I know that wasn't the case.

I transfer the important posts to the Archives in Yahoo, and they have always stayed there until I deleted them myself. That proves to me that Hotmail was completely at fault.

I just want to use the Archive on Gmail by clicking on it the same as in Yahoo.

I've been archiving messages in Gmail for over a year, and none have yet disappeared.  I think there is a limit of 15GB on the standard Gmail storage capacity ... I don't know what action Gmail takes when you exceed that limit ... it probably just doesn't permit you to store additional archives ... I doubt if it would delete archived mail.

I don't know whether Yahoo, Hotmail, and Gmail can be expected to work the same way.  I've presented in above posts the method of archiving that works for me in Gmail.  I'll invite others to comment whether there is a way to do it as you are accustomed to doing it in Yahoo and Hotmail.

14 minutes ago, pablo el sueco said:

I've been archiving messages in Gmail for over a year, and none have yet disappeared.  I think there is a limit of 15GB on the standard Gmail storage capacity ... I don't know what action Gmail takes when you exceed that limit ... it probably just doesn't permit you to store additional archives ... I doubt if it would delete archived mail.

I don't know whether Yahoo, Hotmail, and Gmail can be expected to work the same way.  I've presented in above posts the method of archiving that works for me in Gmail.  I'll invite others to comment whether there is a way to do it as you are accustomed to doing it in Yahoo and Hotmail.

Mine have never disappeared either because I cannot get anything on to Archive. In Hotmail and Yahoo you just click on Archive and there you go. In Gmail you click on Archive and it goes to Important. That's it.