Smoked salmon

Geoffreyt

6 hours ago, SammyJ said:

exactly, and again, no salmon sold in Thailand is actually "fresh"--fresh frozen perhaps, or previously forzen,

Same in the US. It’s caught and thrown in the freezer on the boat. They’re not going to risk losing a catch due to a logistic failure.

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, novacova said:

Same in the US. It’s caught and thrown in the freezer on the boat. They’re not going to risk losing a catch due to a logistic failure.

Exactly. Like with tuna even bound for Japan. Caught thousands of miles away, frozen on the boat and kept frozen until displayed at Tsukiji to be sold for sushi. And the Japanese are really picky as far as the freshness of their fish is concerned. So to keep it as cold as possible all the way long is the crucial thing.

And this is where probably failures occur with the (sushi quality) fish here.

I have encountered some not so fresh salmon even in the most upscale supermarkets.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 1:40 PM, Mavideol said:

same here, they claim it to be fresh but it's absolutely NOT, same with their Freshly Daily Baked pastries, bred(s) some stay on the shelve for 2-3 days, bred hard as a rock but still say "it's Freshly made" .... liars and   jerks

Re: baked goods in Chiang Mai and most likely all of Thailand

Day-old items (and as attested above, many-days-old items) are sold at full price.  There's no discount for the stale stuff, unlike in the old country where I came from.  I'd still choose to pay full price for the freshest.

Ja, I know, if I don't like it, I can pack up and leave.  Or, just not buy the old stuff if it's possible to know how long the product has been sitting on the shelf.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrBrad said:

Day-old items (and as attested above, many-days-old items) are sold at full price.  There's no discount for the stale stuff, unlike in the old country where I came from.  I'd still choose to pay full price for the freshest.

In Central Festival Pattaya discount is (sometimes) given to merchandise approaching the proposed shelf life (not bread, though). It comes as either a lower price or as a "Two for one" offer. The latter can be rarely used if it is on the same day, but I had once an opportunity to get "Two for one" exactly for the expensive item and day I wanted.

I think Big C (Extra) offers as well discounts for items reaching shelf life, but only late on the day and supposedly some people are waiting for it. As I am not a bargain hunter this is not my thing but nevertheless there seems to be at least a very "weak" discounting scheme is implemented. It would be foolish not to do so - and it must be remembered - a proposed shelf life has always some "security margin" build in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrBrad said:

Re: baked goods in Chiang Mai and most likely all of Thailand

Ja, I know, if I don't like it, I can pack up and leave.  Or, just not buy the old stuff if it's possible to know how long the product has been sitting on the shelf.

agree with you about buying or not buying but was wondering if there is ever a food inspector(s) going around checking for false advertising and expired/over the date items, 3 years ago got food poisoning (my fault for not checking the exp date) sausages and cheese bought at Makro, called the manager to show her the products sitting on the shelve with expired dates, 2-3 date stickers on the products with a recent one placed on top of the previous ones but not well done as I could remove it to show her how the employees do... she instructed somebody to remove some items, but 3 days later much of the same same, a pack of so called "fresh" salmon had  3 date stickers, the 1st one was 10 days old, the next was 5 days old and the daily one was the last one, it appears they change "freshness" date stickers every 3-5 days and they go unpunished

Edited by Mavideol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/2/2022 at 7:24 AM, SammyJ said:

Fuji Restaurant--yes, understood, but of course, any salmon they are selling has been frozen previously.

If you want salmon that has not been previously frozen, then I’d suggest grab a fishing pole and go nab the critters on your own. Or go find a dock where they’re coming in unfrozen.

13 minutes ago, novacova said:

If you want salmon that has not been previously frozen, then I’d suggest grab a fishing pole and go nab the critters on your own. Or go find a dock where they’re coming in unfrozen.

Please return to The Land of Nob, your comments are senseless here.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bill97 said:

You are exactly what you say, how ironic and senseless ????. But I can understand, unfortunately some around here are unhappy with themselves ???? maybe time to get that little nob polished, if it’s even possible ????????????????

Edited by novacova
Haters exposed
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Please don’t be such a troublemaker. It’s like a stick-in-the-mud. A little friendliness could go a long ways. Spend much time conversing with the the lanna neighbors in the community? Or just stuck inside all the time?

Edited by 0james0

On 10/31/2022 at 5:54 AM, SammyJ said:

Certainly should not buy poor quality, but Makkro has a lot of good quality items, including their bakery and fish.

Some Makro better than others, and quality comes with expertise how to handle fish, as well temperature during transport and storing. 

13 hours ago, Hummin said:

Some Makro better than others, and quality comes with expertise how to handle fish, as well temperature during transport and storing. 

I agree--it is unfortunately, difficult to know if the "chain of freezing or refrigeration" was maintained properly from the source, in the case of salmon, from original destination, all the way to Bkk, then Chiang Mai--but that is true also to most markets here, and in the US also.

• Like 1