Where have all the Crunchips gone?

Guderian

I've no idea if this is only a Pattaya problem or if it's nationwide, but apart from a few leftover bags it seems that Crunchips have disappeared from the shelves of the supermarkets here. I've tried Lotus, Big C, Friendship, Foodmart and Villa, as well as keeping an eye out in the convenience stores. but to no avail. What's happened, have they pulled out of Thailand? I think the product is actually made in the US and packaged here in Thailand, so is there a major spud shortage in the US? Their salt & vinegar crisps (chips to some) were my favourite, but I can't find them anywhere now other than online at outrageously silly prices. Are they available in one of the farang-oriented places I didn't visit yet, like Foodland or Best, or maybe even Tops? Does anyone know what's going on?

4018077695452_1.jpg

Edited by Guderian

58 minutes ago, Guderian said:

I think the product is actually made in the US and packaged here in Thailand

Doubt it. It's a German brand with a long history stemming from "Bahlsen" (99/100 Germans know this name). AND imported, quite sure.

But in the global world I bet on nothing. Milka from Australia? ????

• © 2021 The Lorenz Bahlsen Snack-World GmbH & Co KG Germany

Edited by KhunBENQ

8 minutes ago, marin said:

Doritos Natcho Cheese are in short supply as well. Their other flavors are still available.

Snacks like Doritos Nachos Cheese Flavour   are often eaten in large quantities in a single sitting  and can be problematic because they end up delivering a large dose of salt, simple starches and fats.
The salt content in this snack is 748 mg sodium or 2 gm of salt in just 100 gm serving pack. This is  high and such high salt consumption is not recommended for people at risk of high blood pressure and heart ailments. The WHO recommends salt intake of 1-3 gm per day, which means that with the consumption of just 1 pack of Doritos Nachos Cheese you are almost having the entire day’s salt intake.

Other ingredients that are in the product but not a major source of concern in our opinion are:

Corn (77%)

Palm Oil

Milk Solids 3.1%- Whey Powder, Cheese powder, Skimmed milk powder

Wheat flour

Spices & Herbs-Onion powder, spice extract, Pepper powder, Chilli powder, Garlic powder,

Tomato Powder

Sugar

Citric acid (INS330)

Who would really want to put that c**p in your body

https://foodnetindia.in/product-review-doritos-nacho-cheese-flavour/

On a similar topic, where has all those Wrigley's Double Mint in the bright green packaging gone? You know those ones in a pack of 10 for 10 baht at every 7/11 or for 20 baht in a resealable plastic packaging occasionally found in selected supermarkets? Can't find them anywhere. All they sell these days are Dentyne for 12 baht at 7/11 and Xylitol and both taste like <deleted>.

There's still plenty of Lays around, but again no salt & vinegar flavour.

I found a recipe to make your own salt & vinegar seasoning so if all else fails I'll try adding some of that to a bag of Lays ready salted.

If that doesn't work well then I'll go back to making my own crisps from scratch, I did that for many years when I worked the Niger Delta and it was impossible to find any crisps at all.

Edited by Guderian

14 hours ago, Guderian said:

There's still plenty of Lays around, but again no salt & vinegar flavour.

I found a recipe to make your own salt & vinegar seasoning so if all else fails I'll try adding some of that to a bag of Lays ready salted.

If that doesn't work well then I'll go back to making my own crisps from scratch, I did that for many years when I worked the Niger Delta and it was impossible to find any crisps at all.

If you like Salt and Vinegar chips,these are the best and NO MSG

Kettle Foods, Potato Chips, Sea Salt & Vinegar, 5 oz (142 g)

14 hours ago, bbi1 said:

On a similar topic, where has all those Wrigley's Double Mint in the bright green packaging gone? You know those ones in a pack of 10 for 10 baht at every 7/11 or for 20 baht in a resealable plastic packaging occasionally found in selected supermarkets? Can't find them anywhere. All they sell these days are Dentyne for 12 baht at 7/11 and Xylitol and both taste like <deleted>.

I think this is the best chewing gum....And I am pretty sure it has no Aspartame, like most gum has.......

Gum Chewing ราคาถูก ซื้อออนไลน์ที่ - ต.ค. 2022 | Lazada.co.th 

5 hours ago, redwood1 said:

I think this is the best chewing gum....And I am pretty sure it has no Aspartame, like most gum has.......

Gum Chewing ราคาถูก ซื้อออนไลน์ที่ - ต.ค. 2022 | Lazada.co.th 

Can you get it at 7/11, Family Mart or Tops Supermarket? I'll try and keep an eye out for it to see.

30 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Can you get it at 7/11, Family Mart or Tops Supermarket? I'll try and keep an eye out for it to see.

It comes in little packs.....5 baht each.......All 7-11s and family marts use to carry it, but I have noticed it missing in a few of them....

And about the Aspartame, I despise this stuff and I am highly sensitive to it.....And I have had zero reaction to this gum......But I cant say 100% their none in this gum, but I am pretty certain their is not......

• Like 1

OK, the Crunchips crisis is over, I was in Friendship this morning and they have them back in stock, including the salt & vinegar variety I like. Presumably, if Friendship has them then all the other stores will soon be carrying them again.

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Save the planet. Buy potato products shipped all the way from Germany????

Looking at the boxes the spuds in Makro come in, they seem to mostly come from the Netherlands, though I've seen some boxes from China, so I don't really see it makes much difference where the crisps are shipped from.

21 minutes ago, Guderian said:

so I don't really see it makes much difference where the crisps are shipped from.

Except to reduce carbon emissions which seems to be popular at the moment we should eat local crisps???? which aren't shipped from outside the country.

22 hours ago, Guderian said:

Looking at the boxes the spuds in Makro come in, they seem to mostly come from the Netherlands, though I've seen some boxes from China, so I don't really see it makes much difference where the crisps are shipped from.

Regarding Crunchips/Lorenz completely wrong.

Made in Germany/imported.

Picture just taken at BigC Extra.

20221105_093446.jpg

signal-2022-11-05-09-32-37-525.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ