Cost of Kindergarten

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Actual school as we know it starts at about 5 years old... 

There are three kindergarten classes in Thailand, K1, K2 and K3 – followed by six primary school classes, P1 to P6 – so school rather begins at the age of three to four...????

9 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Actual school as we know it starts at about 5 years old... 

There are three kindergarten classes in Thailand, K1, K2 and K3 – followed by six primary school classes, P1 to P6 – so school rather begins at the age of three to four...????

It actually varies between schools / Kindergartens / Nurseries / International and local systems... 

The name, whether they call it a school or Kindergarten is somewhat irrelevant... What is relevant is what the children are up to at those ‘places’ - a professional ‘place’ (School or Kindergarten) will tailor their programs to the childrens age.... younger kids will be spending most of their time learning through play etc... 

The ‘actual school as we know it’... i.e. emphasis on literacy; learning to read and write etc, numeracy etc...  starts at about 5 years old at most schools in Thailand. 

I know some (i.e. Singapore International School) that start a little earlier. 

Also group play and learning social skills etc.

I don’t know of pre-school, nursery or kindergartens that go on after 2pm.

Perhaps some Thai schools do, I’m not sure about that. 

K1 generally learn/play in the morning. Have lunch then sleep in the afternoon.

As the kids enter K2 they start to be weened off the sleeping in the afternoon. Those that want to sleep can do. Those that wake up are encouraged to take part in activities.

K3 I'd generally full on. Desks and chairs, blackboard and books. Study is of course full of fun and student involvement to keep the kids attentive. Study ends at 4pm.

That is generally the system in private schools. Government schools usually have K1 and K2. Then the real study starts in P1. The ages are the same when entering P1 as private schools tend to start K1 a year earlier.

• Like 1

Just now, puchooay said:

Also group play and learning social skills etc.

I don’t know of pre-school, nursery or kindergartens that go on after 2pm.

Perhaps some Thai schools do, I’m not sure about that. 

As the kids enter K2 they start to be weened off the sleeping in the afternoon. Those that want to sleep can do. Those that wake up are encouraged to take part in activities.

K3 I'd generally full on. Desks and chairs, blackboard and books. Study is of course full of fun and student involvement to keep the kids attentive. Study ends at 4pm.

That is generally the system in private schools. Government schools usually have K1 and K2. Then the real study starts in P1. The ages are the same when entering P1 as private schools tend to start K1 a year earlier.

I imagine experiences vary significantly...  timing is a little different with the schools we chose... (a little shorter and no sleep time) otherwise the ‘general gist of things’ is quite similar. 

Playgroup: 

1-2 years old (2-3 times per week - accompanied by parents). 

International School

K1: At 2-3 years old... 

Drop him off at 9, pick up at 12pm - Three days per week.

(can do more or less days / that depends on parents preference)

K2: At 3-4 years old... 

Drop him off at 9, pick up at 1pm - Four days per week.

(can do more or less days / that depends on parents preference)

K3: At 4-5 years old..

Drop him off at 9, pick up at 1pm - Four days per week.

(I think we had to do 4 days)

At Big well known International School.

Y1 (5-6) / Y2 (6-7) / Y3 (7-8) / Y4: 8-9)

Drop him off at 7:30, pick up at 2:30pm - Five days per week.

Y1 to Y3: ECAs from 2:30 to 3:30pm 

From Y4 can do 2 ECA’s... (2:30-4:30pm)

13 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Yes, that's how it is...????????

• Thanks 1