so not One TV channel in Thailand showing World series

On 10/29/2022 at 5:30 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

"World" series or not, baseball is one of the world's greatest sports, particularly on TV, unlike cricket.  

I gotta say you have hit on another sport that has broader popularity than baseball.

Football (soccer to us yanks) is clearly the most popular sport worldwide.

Does basketball come second?

But cricket is fanatically followed in several countries (one of humanity's great mysteries), while baseball has had limited appeal outside of the US.

The countries where cricket is most popular are home to a significant part of the world's population:

India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh.

• Thumbs Up 1

Found several websites estimating number of fans of various sports:

Rank Sport Worldwide Estimated Fans Mainly Popular in
1 Soccer (Football) 3.5 billion Europe, Africa, Asia, America
2 Cricket 2.5 billion Asia, Australia, UK
3 Basketball 2.2 billion US, Canada, China, Philippines
4 Field Hockey 2 billion Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia
5 Tennis 1 billion Europe, America, Asia
6 Volleyball 900 million Asia, Europe, America, Australia
7 Table Tennis 850 million Aisa, Europe, Africa, America
8 Baseball 500 million US, Japan, Cuba, Dominican Republic
9 Rugby

410 million

USA (France), England, New Zealand, South Africa

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cdemundo said:

Found several websites estimating number of fans of various sports:

Soccer #1, of course. As for cricket, I would say the limited overs formats rather than test cricket. Heck, a close T20 game can be as exciting as any football match.

Edited by Why Me
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It always tickles me (and warms my heart) when people go OFF when the word "soccer" is used.  Usually it is the limey crew who get a stick up their rectum even though the word originated in England! 

It is just a name.  Their car has a wind screen and a boot.  My car has a wind shield and a trunk.  They go on holiday.  I go on vacation.  We are still talking about the same thing but somehow they must prefer that stick.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, bluebluewater said:

It always tickles me (and warms my heart) when people go OFF when the word "soccer" is used.  Usually it is the limey crew who get a stick up their rectum even though the word originated in England! 

It is just a name.  Their car has a wind screen and a boot.  My car has a wind shield and a trunk.  They go on holiday.  I go on vacation.  We are still talking about the same thing but somehow they must prefer that stick.  

interesting derivation; The word soccer comes from a slang abbreviation of the word association (association football), which British players of the day adapted as “assoc,” “assoccer” and eventually soccer or soccer football

FOX Sports Asia dropped baseball from their Thai schedule a couple years back. Last World Series I watched here; Dodgers vs Tampa Bay 2020. In Asia, Japan, Korea or Taiwan are countries that play baseball and would have it televised, not Thailand.

On 11/4/2022 at 6:23 AM, bamnutsak said:

Mattress Jack's 10 million dollar wager is still hot.

Mattress Mack.

$75,000,000 pay out is looking pretty good right now. Rumored to be the largest sports betting payout in history.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/world-series-houston-astros-philadelphia-phillies-jim-mcingvale-mattress-mack-bet/

On 10/29/2022 at 1:30 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

"World" series or not, baseball is one of the world's greatest sports, particularly on TV, unlike cricket.  

Only girls play rounders.......

How you can say it's one of the world's "greatest sports, particularly on TV" I don't understand. Never seen it on UK TV.

I think Tom Hanks starred in a movie about it once.

A damn sight more play cricket - what is with Americans that they think everything revolves around them..

Enjoy the Football WORLD cup - played by most nations. ????

Edited by Pmbkk
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

Only girls play rounders.......

How you can say it's one of the world's "greatest sports, particularly on TV" I don't understand. Never seen it on UK TV.

I think Tom Hanks starred in a movie about it once.

A damn sight more play cricket - what is with Americans that they think everything revolves around them..

Enjoy the Football WORLD cup - played by most nations. ????

BT Sport (a British channel, in case you weren't aware of it) show baseball all through the season, usually a different game every day between April and the Fall classic, which is coming to an exciting end right now.  Give it a try and you might like it.  Go Phillies...

I love cricket but Test cricket it isn't a great TV sport and I can't get into The Hundred.

While I think baseball is one of the world's greatest sports, football is the greatest, and as a proud Englishman (usually) I'm looking forward to Harry lifting the Jules Rimet later this year. ????????????????????????????

On 11/3/2022 at 11:28 PM, cdemundo said:

I gotta say you have hit on another sport that has broader popularity than baseball.

Football (soccer to us yanks) is clearly the most popular sport worldwide.

Does basketball come second?

But cricket is fanatically followed in several countries (one of humanity's great mysteries), while baseball has had limited appeal outside of the US.

The countries where cricket is most popular are home to a significant part of the world's population:

India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh.

Cricket is interesting compared to baseball.

9 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

BT Sport (a British channel, in case you weren't aware of it) show baseball all through the season, usually a different game every day between April and the Fall classic, which is coming to an exciting end right now.  Give it a try and you might like it.  Go Phillies...

I love cricket but Test cricket it isn't a great TV sport and I can't get into The Hundred.

While I think baseball is one of the world's greatest sports, football is the greatest, and as a proud Englishman (usually) I'm looking forward to Harry lifting the Jules Rimet later this year. ????????????????????????????

Soccer is just little guys playing passes for 85 minutes. 30 seconds of action.

On 10/29/2022 at 8:56 PM, kickstart said:

I do not know about the World Series not being shown on TV.

Neither is the T 20 World cup for cricket ,now on in Australia ,and they are 16 countries  completing 

Unlike the World Series with, er, one country.

As has been said no call for it ,the wife has said what is cricket.  

Its not just one country!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Best of luck with that !  They haven't competed for the Jules Rimet trophy since 1970 when it was won outright by Brazil.

20 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

what is with Americans that they think everything revolves around them..

Think? I tend to believe everything does. Only those jealous try to continuously and unsuccessfully knock down the big dog!

Soccer is a game where anyone can participate as long as you can run. American football is a sport, a sport that takes talent and coordination. 

2 hours ago, Spamhead said:

Best of luck with that !  They haven't competed for the Jules Rimet trophy since 1970 when it was won outright by Brazil.

Thanks for the correction.  Not that England have much chance of winning it anyway, no matter what's called these days.  ????

Sorry, I didn't know what is " world series ",: after reading, I know now that you speak of baseball 

I wait for the FIFA  world cup in Qatar, and I call this sport " football "; why do you think Thai people are interested by baseball ? they are crazy of football ( what you call "soccer " ) 

• Thumbs Up 1