US midterm elections: What's happened to economy under Biden?

Scott

10 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

No and No but they will win each one. I can't help it if many people in America don't think America should be a great place to live with closed borders, like every other country in the world and to be oil, gas, and coal independent. Maybe some on this forum should take a good long look in the mirror and ask yourself why are you supporting the Democrat party?

Maybe you could ask yourself why you are posting inaccurate information. The U.S. is largely self-sufficient and was a net exporter of oil in 2021 and 2022.

https://www.ogj.com/general-interest/economics-markets/article/14283286/eia-us-exported-record-amounts-of-petroleum-products-in-firsthalf-2022

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/oil-and-petroleum-products/imports-and-exports.php

Edited by candide

1 hour ago, vandeventer said:

No and No but they will win each one. I can't help it if many people in America don't think America should be a great place to live with closed borders, like every other country in the world and to be oil, gas, and coal independent. Maybe some on this forum should take a good long look in the mirror and ask yourself why are you supporting the Democrat party?

Perhaps you could give us a few examples of great countries to live in that have closed borders.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 1:19 AM, candide said:

Maybe you could ask yourself why you are posting inaccurate information. The U.S. is largely self-sufficient and was a net exporter of oil in 2021 and 2022.

https://www.ogj.com/general-interest/economics-markets/article/14283286/eia-us-exported-record-amounts-of-petroleum-products-in-firsthalf-2022

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/oil-and-petroleum-products/imports-and-exports.php

Rather than grovelling to Saudi to pump more oil, Biden should, IMO, be pointing the finger of shame at US oil companies for exploiting the situation to gouge US drivers.

BTW, how does begging Saudi to pump more of the bad stuff fit in with his claim to be for "carbon neutrality" in the US? Hypocrisy much?

Edited by thaibeachlovers

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Rather than grovelling to Saudi to pump more oil, Biden should, IMO, be pointing the finger of shame at US oil companies for exploiting the situation to gouge US drivers.

How is it you don't know that is exactly what he's been doing? It's been prominently featured in the media. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

BTW, how does begging Saudi to pump more of the bad stuff fit in with his claim to be for "carbon neutrality" in the US? Hypocrisy much?

First point already replied by placeholder.

Second point: weren't you complaining Biden was allegedly doing nothing to reduce inflation?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, candide said:

First point already replied by placeholder.

Second point: weren't you complaining Biden was allegedly doing nothing to reduce inflation?

I don't see anything by him as he's on ignore.

I was pointing out that Biden is trying to support two opposed policies. Perhaps he shouldn't make statements about "zero carbon" if he going to grovel to the Saudis to increase oil production.

I don't remember if I was complaining about him doing nothing to reduce inflation, but I don't think I did. Perhaps you can quote me on that. I mostly comment about him talking to dead people and falling over.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't see anything by him as he's on ignore.

I was pointing out that Biden is trying to support two opposed policies. Perhaps he shouldn't make statements about "zero carbon" if he going to grovel to the Saudis to increase oil production.

I don't remember if I was complaining about him doing nothing to reduce inflation, but I don't think I did. Perhaps you can quote me on that. I mostly comment about him talking to dead people and falling over.

Policies on short term and longer term are not necessarily the same. On short term, the only solution is an increase of global production, as capacities are fixed. On a longer term, a substitution policy can be implemented. As concerns SA, they know their resrrves are not unlimited and also invest in renewable energy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Too late, I am here already! Have been for more than 20 years. 

And it is by any standard "a great country to live in". Negligible crime, clean streets, Costco, great location for exploring Asia, low taxes...

Edited by Hanaguma

2 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

And it is by any standard "a great country to live in". Negligible crime, clean streets, Costco, great location for exploring Asia, low taxes...

And the government heavily subsidizes many consumer goods including gasoline. So it doesn't bow down to the shibboleths of free-market doctrines. And it has an absolutely huge national debt to GDP ration of 262%  and is doing just fine.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And the government heavily subsidizes many consumer goods including gasoline. So it doesn't bow down to the shibboleths of free-market doctrines. And it has an absolutely huge national debt to GDP ration of 262%  and is doing just fine.

The question was "a great country to live in with closed borders". And it is. I make a good living, have long holidays and enjoy access to a bewildering variety of consumer goods and international food.  I don't think that opening the borders would help with the national debt very much.

Nice try on the deflection though. 

Just now, Hanaguma said:

The question was "a great country to live in with closed borders". And it is. I make a good living, have long holidays and enjoy access to a bewildering variety of consumer goods and international food.  I don't think that opening the borders would help with the national debt very much.

Nice try on the deflection though. 

I was just pointing out some of the reasons that Japan is a great country to live in. And since the topic of this thread is  "US Midterm Elections what happened to economy under biden" do you really think crying deflection makes much sense?

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I was just pointing out some of the reasons that Japan is a great country to live in. And since the topic of this thread is  "US Midterm Elections what happened to economy under biden" do you really think crying deflection makes much sense?

Just answering a question... but you are right.  

From what I have learned about the election, the economy WAS on many peoples' minds but they held their noses and voted Democratic- especially independent voters. They generally vote against the ruling party, but this time didn't. In spite of Biden's low approval rating and the vast majority of Americans seeing the country on "the wrong track". I can only conclude it is the result of a combination of poor candidate selection by the GOP and the looming Orange Shadow (the two are actually closely related). 

33 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Well, obviously borders aren't closed if you are living there.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

From what I have learned about the election, the economy WAS on many peoples' minds but they held their noses and voted Democratic- especially independent voters. They generally vote against the ruling party, but this time didn't. In spite of Biden's low approval rating and the vast majority of Americans seeing the country on "the wrong track". I can only conclude it is the result of a combination of poor candidate selection by the GOP and the looming Orange Shadow (the two are actually closely related). 

And yet when given a referendum opportunity, voters in Republican states consistently endorse Obamacare's Medicaid expansion, oppose abortion restrictions, and support increases in the minimum wage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Credo said:

Well, obviously borders aren't closed if you are living there.

I think in terms of what is generally understood by closed borders Japan is a good example. And I agree, would be a good country to live. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Japan?

Japan is not closed, it allows some immigration and is increasing what it allows, though not as fast as the needs of an aging population require.

Countries like North Korea and Belarus are closed.  Would you like to live in either of these places?

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Wow; we're largely in agreement.  As so often happens in two party elections, many people reluctantly chose the lesser of the two evils.

I'd really like to see Ranked Choice Voting in the US.  It's not a guaranteed solution to a two party system in which both parties cater to their extremes, but I think it has potential.

33 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I think in terms of what is generally understood by closed borders Japan is a good example. And I agree, would be a good country to live. 

Japan has an easier time controlling its borders because it is an island nation, but it is definitely not closed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

And dwindling population.

I suggest you don’t stay into old age, there will be nobody there to take care of you or pay the taxes for thanking care of you.

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

WRT US politics, you’ve been wrong about everything in the run up to the mid terms.

What makes you think you are right now?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

You can add to it that the GOP may not have been perceived as able to solve economic problems, it did not articulate and promote applicable policies, in particular as concerns inflation.

9 hours ago, candide said:

You can add to it that the GOP may not have been perceived as able to solve economic problems, it did not articulate and promote applicable policies, in particular as concerns inflation.

I can't disagree with that.  Too many distractions were happening and a bit of overconfidence.  When Trump was media silent, the polls went up. When he started musing about running in 2024, things went back down. 

The GOP are also bad at message discipline.  On abortion, they just had to say, "it is up to the individual states and I will respect their decisions". But that was a bridge too far for some. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, candide said:

Policies on short term and longer term are not necessarily the same. On short term, the only solution is an increase of global production, as capacities are fixed. On a longer term, a substitution policy can be implemented. As concerns SA, they know their resrrves are not unlimited and also invest in renewable energy.

I visited the Saudi solar research project many years ago. They had to cool the solar panels as they got too hot in the Saudi temperatures.

Re Biden, it just doesn't look good if one day he's saying Zero Carbon and the next he's asking Saudi to pump more oil. Terrible optics.

What happens if the entire renewable energy project stops for any one of a dozen reasons? Is he then going to say "sorry, we got it wrong, keep driving petrol cars"?

13 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

My understanding is that mail voting convinced young voters to vote in large numbers and apparently they consider abortion to be birth control, rather than a last resort, so single issue voters.

In the past, apparently young people didn't vote much in mid terms.

IMO a bit sad that young people want to kill foetuses rather than use birth control.