can a foreigner buy or drrive a bus

jimmya123

Hi , i have been planning to buy an old bus from market and convert it to camper bus by decorating personally and then i will drive the bus whereever i want and live in it. As far as i know, in order to drive a bus , you must get work permit but a farang can not work as a public transportation driver on the other hand, i want to drive this vehicle for personal purpose not for commercial or business perhaps i have to change yellow plates(public transportation) to private white plate(for personal use) and can drive. let's say it is possible , how can i register this vehicle after conversion to camper bus. is there anybody having such kind of experience or knowledge , please could you share the procedures step by step if you have any informaation , thanks   

The problem you will have is that you can only hold a Thai driving license for a private motor vehicle, and the weight limit on this type of vehicle is 3.5 metric tonnes laden. A bus conversion of any kind is going to exceed the laden weight limit.

You can argue that your camper bus conversion is for private use, but you cannot argue your vehicle is less than 3.5 metric tonnes laden.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Before committing to buying the bus for conversion go to the DLT and ask what you have to do, maybe it's possible.

I have seen many large camper vans driven by falangies in Sukhothai but have foriengner county plates. 

If they are allowed to drive in Thailand don't see why someone living here can't do it. 

• Thumbs Up 1