Why Is Thai Music So Boring

dbm

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cool and thanks. I've been a Wobble fan for ages but havent checked out this cd. Certainly will though. The only thing I have about this though is it's still not originating from here. Wobble's great for exploring the world and incorporating himself and his genius into a genre, but I'm wondering where are the Thai/ SE Asian musicians exploring the world like Wobble and bringing it into their indigenous culture?I'd like to hear some fusion created by Thai's. And not just reggae sung in the Thai language for example but maybe reggae beats with traditional Thai instruments on top. Hundreds of tracks in this way come out of India every day. Take some dub, or hip hop, fuse it with some raga, sitars and loads of percussion etc.., throw some loops and samples in and then sing a traditional Punjabi verse on top. Now that's fusion,man! And we can dance like dervishes too!

I'm surprised. I thought everyone would up in arm saying how great Thai music is, and how lucky we are to be living in Thailand blah blah blah.

Personally Thai music is like listening to a cat being swung around by it's tail, but I may be tone deaf!

Why is golf so boring yet people play it?

Why do they show crap tv shows like "Survivor"?

Why do they play jazz, house..... in farangland? They make me sick!

I was in a club in London and I guessed the people were so bored of the music everyone had to take ecstasies and cocaine. I don't even need to drink to dance when I am in a thai disco. So why do they play those music in England? Anything to do with creativity?

I don't think Thai music is boring, the problem is you tend to hear the same stuff over and over again.

There is good Thai Rock and Indie music it's just finding it. Myspace.com is a good starting point.

Some friends of mine put on a night of signed and up and coming Thai bands.

Look here

myspace.com/mindthegapbkk

MTG_July4th_Flyer_EMAIL.jpg

• 8 months later...

Loso (I love you Pi Sek!)

Job 2 Do

Marijuana (check out the album Ling)

Carabao (though I do always feel like my dad would like them more than I do)

There is some well produced emo style rock stuff coming through now, but it isn't my cup of tea - Bodyslam, Slot machine and the like. Very commercial though.

There isn't a lot, but what is good is really good. My advice is get yourself down to a good Country pub, have a few nights on 100 pipers there and pretty soon you will be singing along and making requests for your favourites like the rest of the pub.

I love Thai music, you know the one when there on the bus in the bush? (probably 100's like that) but there are some great Thai songs.

And who cares if they copy some farang songs, farang copy farang songs too.

I like the Thai (Isarn) country music they play in most taxis, at first I hated it, but now after much conditioning, I have come to appreciate it. :o

Edited by pampal

Thai music is boring due to the lack creativity. There just aren't any bands that have done things like the Sonic Youth, Radiohead, Marilyn Manson, The Cure, Placebo, etc. They all like to stick tightly to specific musical genres and don't dare to break boundaries.

Sorry, but Marilyn Manson is a creative project? Or Placebo? Sonic Youth were great...2 decades ago.

They are not all that popular, and their distribution isn't great, but Goose are a fine band.

Saw them a number of times when we still lived in Bangkok.

how can you classify an entire country's music as 'boring?' based on hearing 20 songs in a bar?

Thai music is not familiar to the western ear, in many respects. be it thai traditional or luuk thoong. so it's easy to dismiss if you don't want to do a little work and want things to sound like what you've heard before. my friend says everything sounds like a chicken. music is an individual choice. I own about 75 thai cds: luuk thoong, classical and 'indie' pop. my thai is not very good, but I can now distinguish between korat style, lanna and isaarn luuk thoong. go to a bar that doesn't cater to expats who want to hear journey and listen to what they like; listen to everyone singing and clapping the same as if it was 'we are the champions.' and notice it is less generational--the 55 yr old bartender and the 22 yr old lady both know the words. I love chiang mai, but I really miss going to the big isaarn style music halls in bangkok and seeing the live music. where a house band plays and there's a new singer every song. great fun. if you can't dance to that, sorry friend.

To say Thai music is boring is fatuous in the extreme. To learn that that conclusion has been come to by the OP with his mates in the pub tells me all I need to know.

Is there such a thing as 'thai music'? Is there such a thing as 'English music' or 'American music'?

Sure the manufactured pop is trite and bland, but so is the manufactured pop of Korea, Japan, HK, Australia, the UK and the US.

If there is anything that can broadly be defined as quintessential Thai music then I guess it would have to be morlam and I actually really enjoy listening to that. I don't pretend to understand it, but it's lively, upbeat and fun.