New border ruling upsets Poipet’s parents

geovalin

The move by Thai Immigration to stop Cambodian children from entering the country by themselves to attend Thai schools has caused an uproar among the children’s parents. On Wednesday, the Thai Immigration at the Poipet-Khlong Leuk crossing forbade unaccompanied students from going to their school across the border and would only allow students who were accompanied by their parents and guardians.

One parent, Seng Sereyrith, said the restriction has made it difficult for working parents who could not accompany their children. Sereyrith was among the 40 parents who took their case to the Cambodian Counsul in Aranyaprathet in Thailand’s Sa Kaeo province, seeking intervention, yesterday. Sereyrith said his children would go to their Thai primary school by bicycle every day.

“I have to work and that is why I do not have the time to take them to school. My children have their border passes and it has never been an issue for them to go to school by themselves. “It is difficult because parents do not have enough time to take them to school and pick them up from school every day,” said Sereyrith.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501179545/new-border-ruling-upsets-poipets-parents/

47710.jpg.97278aa96238c2881ac687c3d369e14c.jpg