Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Wooden Walking Cane (High Quality)

JCauto

I am looking for a high quality wooden walking cane, preferably with a nice metal handle of some sort that has a bit of heft so it can be both an aid to my recovery from surgery and a security boon in a sticky situation or to protect against aggressive dogs. I saw one online at Chanintr.com but unfortunately no stock and not available to order.

If anyone has come across such a thing recently, would be greatly appreciative.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Had a look through the online links, and there's a few meeting my description, but with something like this that requires high quality and the correct height etc., I need to actually see it before buying. Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

If you also want it for protection, one of these might do:

https://www.etsy.com/market/knobkerrie

Ooh, some of those are way cool. Love the Zulu one, may go for that instead. Get all Druid-like, grow the beard and wear long robes. People would probably start listening to what I said. Or perhaps the opposite, not sure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JCauto said:

Had a look through the online links, and there's a few meeting my description, but with something like this that requires high quality and the correct height etc., I need to actually see it before buying. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I have a similar problem deciding on the height, and I think that the best way would be for us to put our hand and lower arm straight out, as though we are actually holding the cane. Then get somebody to measure the height to give a reasonable starting point. 

That gives 3 choices.

1   Order a cheap cane of that height.

2   Order the cane that you want in that height or perhaps 1 inch higher, which you could cut back a little if it is too high.

3   Order 2 canes, one at the measured height and one an inch higher and return the one that doesn't fit.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've spent my life collecting such sticks all over the world on my travels and Thailand is the most 'stickless ' country I've seen !

For ur info - these sturdy sticks pictured ( below ) on Lazada are available in JJ Market for about THB 200. I've bought three there.

Also the Daiso shops in Thailand sell perfectly good sticks - cheap and cheerful - for THB 60. I've got a load of Daiso ones.

045CE561-EDFB-441F-AEC4-F20AFBCEC874.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mbolo said:

I've spent my life collecting such sticks all over the world on my travels and Thailand is the most 'stickless ' country I've seen !

For ur info - these sturdy sticks pictured ( below ) on Lazada are available in JJ Market for about THB 200. I've bought three there.

Also the Daiso shops in Thailand sell perfectly good sticks - cheap and cheerful - for THB 60. I've got a load of Daiso ones.

I don't seem to be able to find this on Lazada. Do you have a link that goes directly to this item?

• Thumbs Up 1

If you have time and inclination there are some amazing old shop house/antique places all over the old city of BKK where such things can be found.

If you're looking for an antique (these are often of the best quality and longevity) you can also find them on the web and import it.

On 11/10/2022 at 3:03 PM, Mbolo said:

As is often the case, one finds real expertise when one asks on TV. Appreciate your input, and like those ones too, imagine they'd be less hassle than a metal-topped one when it comes to boarding airplanes etc. I'll see if I can stroll around the top floor of Emporium and have a gander at a few other spots nearby that have been mentioned, then will go the Lazada route if I can't find a winner in the wild. Cheers.

• Like 1

IMO a secondhand golf club, anywhere from a one-iron to a pitching wedge depending on the OP's height, would do just as well. Apart from fending off soi dogs, also useful as a snake-killer.

Not sure there are too many left with hickory shafts, though.