American going to Malaysia, do I need a Visa?

All,

im considering going on a group tour with my wife, she’s Thai, to Malaysia next month. The tour company is saying (at this point, requiring) me to apply for a formal visa to enter Malaysia?  As I read their website, it clearly states a visa-on-arrival (stamp) is granted for 3 months and ext,d for 2 months. 

Does anyone has experience traveling to Malaysia by land border where a formal visa was required?

Thanks in advance.   

You dont need a visa. My advice is dont go on a Thai tour full of Thai's unless you really really want to see some specific attractions. The Thai idea of a tour is not quite the same as a western one, if you know what I mean. 

• Like 1

Did not need one before the pandemic.  I found Malaysians and Kuala Lumpur fascinating.  Most were friendly I was never asked "Where you come from?".  It is almost felt like Singapore but a little behind.  It had all the things Singapore has but in a different way(Malls, bars and one can buy alcohol 24 hours a day).  All the Malaysians I had contact with spoke fluent English.  I would go back but this year I am going back to Singapore(yes it is going to be expensive).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackson2513 said:

The tour company is saying (at this point, requiring) me to apply for a formal visa to enter Malaysia?

what passport will you be travelling on? also what website were you consulting?

this website says that only Indians and Chinese are eligible for Visa On Arrival.

https://www.malaysia.gov.my/portal/subcategory/1543

Edited by Lemsta69

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

this website says that only Indians and Chinese are eligible for Visa On Arrival.

visa not required see here - https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/malaysia-entry-requirements.html

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

I went to KL and Penang many times and never needed a visa but that was many years ago

1 hour ago, marin said:

You dont need a visa. My advice is dont go on a Thai tour full of Thai's unless you really really want to see some specific attractions. The Thai idea of a tour is not quite the same as a western one, if you know what I mean. 

Just got back to USA from 8 weeks in Thailand/Vietnam.  Toured with Wife's relatives & friends (not a tour company).  I know exactly what you mean.  ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theoldgit said:

That's because US Nationals, and numerous other nationalities, don't require a visa on arrival or in advance. 

OP mentioned visa on arrival so I assumed that the rules had changed, like Indonesia. I was thinking of heading to Penang at the end of the year to meet a friend but I'm not going if I have to pay for a VOA and waste a page of my passport with the visa sticker. 

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.  The tour company informed my wife that I will not need a visa afterall!?  It turns out the person whom made the statement about needing a visa, we in fact just being lazy and guessing what the requirements were.  It was excused by the company as a young employee who had just started working for them....???? ????

• Like 1