Aussie passport expires mid Jan 23, when to apply for a new one ? mid December or earlier.

Mine is up for renewal in mid 2024, but plan on starting renewal process around Nov 2023. However, I don't believe it is necessary to travel to BKK to the Aussie Embassy to do so. It is my understanding I can renew at the Aussie Consulate in Chiang Mai. what I don't know is whether it is mandatory to leave the soon to expire passport with the consulate staff or if I can keep it with me, as it will be necessary for me to do a 90 report in late December/early January. The other information I'm uncertain of is the cost. Is it the same as what is currently charged in Oz ($350.00) or is the price inflated somewhat?

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

Mine is up for renewal in mid 2024, but plan on starting renewal process around Nov 2023. However, I don't believe it is necessary to travel to BKK to the Aussie Embassy to do so. It is my understanding I can renew at the Aussie Consulate in Chiang Mai. what I don't know is whether it is mandatory to leave the soon to expire passport with the consulate staff or if I can keep it with me, as it will be necessary for me to do a 90 report in late December/early January. The other information I'm uncertain of is the cost. Is it the same as what is currently charged in Oz ($350.00) or is the price inflated somewhat?

20221110_185816.jpg

9 hours ago, steven100 said:

yes Will,   I emailed them to ask about their online application process ...  it doesn't say much about it on the website or after the registration.  

You really should read it more carefully....there is a link to the passport office, where you are asked a few questions to see if you can do the online verification. If you pass that hurdle you print out the application and take it to the embassy on your appointment date. The embassy official verifies your ID using your current passport, takes your money (card only !) and photos and sends it off to Australia. When the new passport is ready you get an email from Passport Office. It's pretty painless but you should allow at least 3 months for the whole process.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

The price is on the embassy website, but yes, there is an overseas surcharge. 

16 hours ago, brianthainess said:

You HAVE to make an appointment, my new PP took 7 weeks and 4 days posted back to me EMS, as i had my old one cancelled. It also finishes 23 jan. As said if you need to leave the country or it finishes before you get the new one, you will have to leave, then you had better not cancel it, especially with Embassy holidays xmas and new year. Someone else can also collect it for you with a letter from you and their I.D.  I found their online booking easy.

Did you provide a return addressed EMS envelope when you sent it ?  thanks

12 hours ago, MikeN said:

You really should read it more carefully....there is a link to the passport office, where you are asked a few questions to see if you can do the online verification. If you pass that hurdle you print out the application and take it to the embassy on your appointment date. The embassy official verifies your ID using your current passport, takes your money (card only !) and photos and sends it off to Australia. When the new passport is ready you get an email from Passport Office. It's pretty painless but you should allow at least 3 months for the whole process.

Once eligible for online processing, he can do everything by post.

No need to go to the Embassy at all.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

Once eligible for online processing, he can do everything by post.

No need to go to the Embassy at all.

that is absolutely correct ....   just fill in the on-line form, print it, sign & date it, 2 photos ( one with your name on the back )  ,  CC authorization form filled in and signed ,  a self addressed return envelope ,   and that's it then post it. 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 5:07 PM, TigerandDog said:

It looks like a 5 yr passport is  7,070 baht ....    ?

On 11/9/2022 at 8:50 PM, ezzra said:

The sooner the better, given the fact that people back in Oz waiting 6 months and more for theirs...

Old news. I recently renewed my passport in Oz, took three weeks elapsed to receive new passport.

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2022 at 9:36 AM, steven100 said:

Am I reading this info correct ??    I can't buy a 5 year passport ??

it looks like a 5yr passport is only available to 75+  year olds.   ??   

image.png.927dc8f2fe8d50ac09919cb106196700.png

That is correct,

Edited by norbra
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2022 at 9:08 PM, Lacessit said:

Do it now, your passport is no longer valid for any international travel. Most countries want 6 months.

If you are in Chiang Mai, Ronald Elliot ( Honorary Consul) is the guy you need to talk to ASAP.  IIRC, it took about 3 weeks to get my new one in 2019.

Further re Aussies located in Chiang Mai:

- If the passport has been renewed before, whilst living in Thailand, does the holder have to visit the Oz embassy in Bkk?

- Where in Chiang Mai can the passport holder get the type of photos required?

- If available in Chiang Mai does the passport holder hand the finished photos to the honorary consul? Or..

Any advice appreciated, thanks. 

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Further re Aussies located in Chiang Mai:

- If the passport has been renewed before, whilst living in Thailand, does the holder have to visit the Oz embassy in Bkk?

- Where in Chiang Mai can the passport holder get the type of photos required?

- If available in Chiang Mai does the passport holder hand the finished photos to the honorary consul? Or..

Any advice appreciated, thanks. 

Q1 - I don't know, you would have to contact Mr Elliott for that information. Phone 0918576996, email [email protected]. There was no visit to Bangkok required when I renewed my passport in 2019.

Q2 - Any photo shop. There is a Kodak shop on the other side of the Lamphun Road, opposite Riverside Condo. That is where I used to get my passport-type photos.

Q3 - I would assume so, again ask Mr. Elliott.

The photo side of things has me sweating a bit.

As i will be flying to Bangkok for my appointment on Wednesday i don't have time to go to the embassy approved photo shop.

I have had two sets done locally(Chumphae) at a kodak shop.

1st set are fine for visa pics but didn't meet the size requirements from chin to forehead

2nd time took my passport in and left with them and they seem ok size requirement wise.

They could not tell me the paper quality just saying it's what everyone uses.

Both sets of photo's were taken from the same distance so would it be considered modified if one set is bigger in the frame?

On 11/21/2022 at 1:48 PM, farmerjo said:

The photo side of things has me sweating a bit.

As i will be flying to Bangkok for my appointment on Wednesday i don't have time to go to the embassy approved photo shop.

I have had two sets done locally(Chumphae) at a kodak shop.

1st set are fine for visa pics but didn't meet the size requirements from chin to forehead

2nd time took my passport in and left with them and they seem ok size requirement wise.

They could not tell me the paper quality just saying it's what everyone uses.

Both sets of photo's were taken from the same distance so would it be considered modified if one set is bigger in the frame?

All is well.

Taxi driver from airport knew where the embassy is.(i always catch o cab from departures,270 baht plus i think 75 in tolls)

Got to the embassy an hour before appointment and was served within 5 minutes by a pleasant lady who didn't question the photo's and gave my passport back.

So was back at airport by original appointment time and able to get an earlier flight home.

A good day to get out of the way.

They don't do the 64 page passports anymore but she did say if i run out of pages(32 page passport) with more than 2 years left on passport they will issue a new one with same details at a discounted price.

Also there is a shuttle service at the road enterance to take you in to the building.

Edited by farmerjo
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/23/2022 at 7:50 PM, farmerjo said:

All is well.

Taxi driver from airport knew where the embassy is.(i always catch o cab from departures,270 baht plus i think 75 in tolls)

Got to the embassy an hour before appointment and was served within 5 minutes by a pleasant lady who didn't question the photo's and gave my passport back.

So was back at airport by original appointment time and able to get an earlier flight home.

A good day to get out of the way.

They don't do the 64 page passports anymore but she did say if i run out of pages(32 page passport) with more than 2 years left on passport they will issue a new one with same details at a discounted price.

Also there is a shuttle service at the road enterance to take you in to the building.

Well it's a little over nine weeks and still waiting.

I guess christmas and new year have contributed to the delay.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2023 at 10:48 AM, farmerjo said:

Well it's a little over nine weeks and still waiting.

I guess christmas and new year have contributed to the delay.

Just a follow up for those interested.

Chase your passport.

I applied on 23rd november and have been patiently waiting,

Today i called embassy and was put through to Aus who said it was sent on 16th december.

Then i called consular services in Bangkok who said passport is there for collection and Aus should of notified me.

What a <deleted>eshow,i only ask one thing from the government and they can't even get that right.

Rant over.????