Aussie passport expires mid Jan 23, when to apply for a new one ? mid December or earlier.

1 hour ago, farmerjo said:

Might pay to call the embassy as you will need an appointment.

I just sent them an email 10 minutes a go with questions and got a no help reply.

Will call them tomorrow.

Embassy will respond during working hours only????????.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Get on the Embassy website NOW and book appt.

When renewing my passport this year it always seemed that the next available appt was 1 month down the track.

Took exactly 6 weeks for my newbie to be available. So maybe 10 weeks all up?

You possibly be cutting it very fine if at all.

Everyone should give themselves at least 4 months minimum.????????

Is there any benefit if I go over to the embassy in BKK today and apply or do I need to make an appointment online. 

Edited by steven100

7 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Embassy will respond during working hours only????????.

In Oz I got mine in 5 days.

You are supposed to have 6 months validity on your passport whilst overseas so should have started much earlier.

43 minutes ago, willr said:

You are supposed to have 6 months validity on your passport whilst overseas so should have started much earlier.

I don't think the OP is in Oz.

Bkk Embassy currently uses 6 weeks as a benchmark.

Correct. 6 months generally req'd for travel. Not sure about if req'd simply if you are overseas (ie expat on annual extensions.)

Correct. Should have started way sooner.????????

14 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

You MUST make an appt on-line. They will turn you away at the front gate.

Already done,  Dec 07 .. as MikeN above mentioned.  I just registered online with their website and maybe i'll submit an application through that as it might be a bit quicker ?

Edited by steven100

3 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Already done,  Dec 07 .. as MikeN above mentioned.  I just registered online with their website and maybe submit an application through that as it might be a bit quicker ?

Good work.

The on-line is not "on-line".

It purely produces a application form which you complete, print and take with you on Dec 7. It does give you a registration identifier.

Make sure you have the correct photos, Embassy very strict on this.

The Embassy website recommends a shop in the Embassy Sathorn Hotel. It is not far away. Go up the alley, LHS towards the end.

Cash payment not accepted at Emmbassy. Take a card.

All pretty painless but the Embassy is a sterile environment, do not expect to see Chuckles the Clown.????????

• Thumbs Up 1

As an Aussie who once had his passport damaged while in LOS and therefore had to get it renewed while in-country. Get it done NOW ASAP.

As a side note you have to have 6 months time left on a passport to move across borders in most countries. So theoretically your stuck here until you get a new one, or of you leave on it you risk not being granted re-admission to the Kingdom.

Priority Registered Post to Oz.

OR take it to the Aussie embassy in BKK (amazing building) with new passport photos and funds to pay and they'll process it for you and you return there to collect. It's easy to do there.

Mine took about 6 weeks ... but that was back in 2012.

• Like 1

Don't be surprised if you need to provide a full original birth certificate if, at the time of your application, your current passport expires and therefore not a valid document. 

Good luck expecting the Aus embassy to call you or even email you other than if you are in a "fault" senario.

1 hour ago, Lucky Bones said:

Good work.

The on-line is not "on-line".

It purely produces a application form which you complete, print and take with you on Dec 7. It does give you a registration identifier.

Make sure you have the correct photos, Embassy very strict on this.

The Embassy website recommends a shop in the Embassy Sathorn Hotel. It is not far away. Go up the alley, LHS towards the end.

Cash payment not accepted at Emmbassy. Take a card.

All pretty painless but the Embassy is a sterile environment, do not expect to see Chuckles the Clown.????????

Are you sure about this?

Seems a renewal can now be done online.

https://thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/Mailed_in_passport_applications.html

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Are you sure about this?

Seems a renewal can now be done online.

https://thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/Mailed_in_passport_applications.html

The link seems a bit vague.

Not sure why they would issue a new passport without clipping the old one?

Seems unlikely that you could have 2 valid Oz passports though.

If in doubt, e-mail them. The appointment can always be cancelled.

Not sure IO would transfer your stamps etc without a cancelled notation or clipped passport.????????

2 hours ago, willr said:

You were lucky. A friend who comes to Thailand every year waited 4 months for his new passport and so missed  his trip this year.

7 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

The link seems a bit vague.

Not sure why they would issue a new passport without clipping the old one?

Seems unlikely that you could have 2 valid Oz passports though.

If in doubt, e-mail them. The appointment can always be cancelled.

Not sure IO would transfer your stamps etc without a cancelled notation or clipped passport.????????

Not sure what seems vague about it TBH.

They're asking for the application and payment and then advise a waiting period.

Maybe it's been brought in due to the huge backlog due to Covid.

Emailing them wouldn't hurt I guess.

Edited by Will27
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Not sure what seems vague about it TBH.

They're asking for the application and payment and then advise a waiting period.

Maybe it's been brought in due to the huge backlog due to Covid.

Emailing them wouldn't hurt I guess.

yes Will,   I emailed them to ask about their online application process ...  it doesn't say much about it on the website or after the registration.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I did my renewal through the Phuket office last year, took around  6  weeks from memory but you need to allow 2 plus months currently to be safe through any aussie immigration/consulate centre

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wombat said:

Fresh off the press.

20221110_105719.jpg

Well Done Wombat.

I e-mailed the Embassy this morning & they advised of this new method.

Nothing mentioned in Embassy News or highlightes as "New" etc.

Please ALL accept my apologies for incorrect previous posts. Some bold announcement would have been helpful.

(wiping egg from face now.)

Steven, get to Soi Post quick!????????

(2nd last time I give any advice...????????????????????????????????????????????)

• Thumbs Up 1

I sent a 2nd email this morning through the appointment email i got.

Swift reply to few questions i had.

Please see the answer to your questions below:

1. You can retain your existing passport for travel and visas purposes, however this document will need to be presented for cancellation at the time of collecting your new document. Your new document cannot be released until then.

1. The Embassy accepts both Australian and Thai credit and debit cards for payment. Please checked you’re your bank to ensure that the card is activated for domestic transactions.

1. There is a map of the Embassy’s location on the Embassy’s website Australian Embassy Map - Eng.jpg (2424×2128). Our normal road is currently closed due to new construction occurring next door, however there is a bypass road in place for vehicles and the pedestrian footpath is still accessible. There is signage in both English and Thai.

1. Our checklists cover what you will need to bring to the appointment. Please ensure that your photos in particular meet the requirements as these are often of poor quality or have been digitally altered and will delay your application. Please ensure the photo shop takes the photos on a light or white background, make no digital alterations at all and print on good quality gloss paper as this gives the best result.

I hope this information assists.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, steven100 said:

Is there any benefit if I go over to the embassy in BKK today and apply or do I need to make an appointment online. 

You HAVE to make an appointment, my new PP took 7 weeks and 4 days posted back to me EMS, as i had my old one cancelled. It also finishes 23 jan. As said if you need to leave the country or it finishes before you get the new one, you will have to leave, then you had better not cancel it, especially with Embassy holidays xmas and new year. Someone else can also collect it for you with a letter from you and their I.D.  I found their online booking easy.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

You HAVE to make an appointment, Mornings only, can collect anytime, when ready. my new PP took 7 weeks and 4 days posted back to me EMS, as i had my old one cancelled. It also finishes 23 jan. As said if you need to leave the country or it finishes before you get the new one, you will have to leave, then you had better not cancel it, especially with Embassy holidays xmas and new year. Someone else can also collect it for you with a letter from you and their I.D.  I found their online booking easy.

I forgot to add if you go down the lost PP process that will involve making a police report.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, farmerjo said:

I sent a 2nd email this morning through the appointment email i got.

Swift reply to few questions i had.

Please see the answer to your questions below:

1. You can retain your existing passport for travel and visas purposes, however this document will need to be presented for cancellation at the time of collecting your new document. Your new document cannot be released until then.

1. The Embassy accepts both Australian and Thai credit and debit cards for payment. Please checked you’re your bank to ensure that the card is activated for domestic transactions.

1. There is a map of the Embassy’s location on the Embassy’s website Australian Embassy Map - Eng.jpg (2424×2128). Our normal road is currently closed due to new construction occurring next door, however there is a bypass road in place for vehicles and the pedestrian footpath is still accessible. There is signage in both English and Thai.

1. Our checklists cover what you will need to bring to the appointment. Please ensure that your photos in particular meet the requirements as these are often of poor quality or have been digitally altered and will delay your application. Please ensure the photo shop takes the photos on a light or white background, make no digital alterations at all and print on good quality gloss paper as this gives the best result.

I hope this information assists.

You send your passport with the paperwork...when you get your photos taken get the file sent to you in email...I had to resend pics because the quality of the paper showed through the pic when they do whatever it is they do with it...ended up sending the file in email.

Your original passport is sent back to you.

Courier service.