Thailand Okays Second Airport For Samui

Best place to put it would also be the area most heavily populated by locals: Ban Tai. And there would be a full scale riot if they attempted to force people off their land there.

not only would it be a riot, it would be an environmental disaster, a it is the majority of kpg's arable land

that jungle area in baan thai, maduewan(sp), baan nai suan is one of the most beautiul areas on the island. Land prices there have also been going up almost as steadily as the seaview stuff, but amongst the locals themselves.

surat - nok air - air asia - they working on the transfer time - if the new airport - will ever be build - and bkk air simply drops it's price - too risky - ko phan ghan?

hand in hand with the major players like seatran ferry and pantip travel everything is looked into - how to drop the price of airtravel.

go to: http://www.airasia.com/skylights/cgi-bin/skylights.cgi

already - since some time - bkk air offer special tariffs - night owl and early bird - "promotional flights for around 2000+ baht....

well and then develpoment happens anywhere on the planet - specially @ desired destinations - has to - naturally - sure mistakes are made by the truclload - but then any of the self proclaimed 'smarties' who seem to 'know' everything are going to tell and share their 'knowledge' with the powers to be?

and 2nd - forgot that most of the in samui and phan ghan accumulated tax money is flooding the surat coffers?

much is in the administration to be looked for - as long as surat has it's hands in... there will be potholes - plentyfull and watershortages.

Edited by Samuian

and 2nd - forgot that most of the in samui and phan ghan accumulated tax money is flooding the surat coffers?

much is in the administration to be looked for - as long as surat has it's hands in... there will be potholes - plentyfull and watershortages.

So true. We have one road on the island (a major road too) that was washed out in flooding two years ago. Still unrepaired and nearly undriveable. But the mainland has terrific roads, so who am I to complain? :o

There was an article I read a while ago,A MEMORANDUM of understanding between Bangkok Air & Thai airways.As I understand they will allow TG some landing spots,in return they will share the China route.I will try & find it & post it.

But I think that was the original gripe,weight limits & landing fees.So once that is sorted I don't think you will see another airport here.

Lots of land was acquired by the powers to be for the second airport,with hindsight you can see it was an indirect or direct way of pressuring Bangkok Air.

Edited by Rooo

News ReleasesPlease click on a news item below to see the full text.News Releases Year >> 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001

Bangkok Airways signs codeshare agreement with THAI Airways InternationalPosted: May 8, 2006 1:00 PM

Bangkok Airways signs codeshare agreement with THAI Airways International

On April 26th, 2006, Thai Airways International Public Company Limited and Bangkok Airways Company Limited jointly signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in flight operations and commerce in order to develop and strengthen flight networks belonging to both THAI and Bangkok Airways. The cooperation will help facilitate air traffic particularly on flights to Samui and other destinations in China.

Mr.Somchainuk Engtrakul, THAI’s Acting CEO, explained that the MoU signing between THAI and Bangkok Airways explicitly takes the level of cooperation development between the two carriers into the next level. From THAI’s point of view, this memorandum will pave the way toward a stronger network development on both domestic and international routes for both parties. Particularly the domestic route to Samui, for instance, which THAI does not have any operation, is now ready to work together with Bangkok Airways. For other destinations in China namely, Jinghong (Xixuangbanna), Xi’An, Guilin, Zhengzhou, Hangzhou, and Shenzhen; that are reached regularly by Bangkok Airways; THAI, therefore, seeks collaboration with Bangkok Airways to expand its Chinese network into a greater extent which is anticipated to be well-received by passengers.

Dr.Prasert Prasarttong-Osoth, Bangkok Airways’ President & CEO, said that Bangkok Airways and Thai Airways International would continue to consistently collaborate toward future collaboration. Nowadays, the airline business around the world faces tremendously high competition, so the formation of an alliance among the country’s two legacy carriers would gradually provide greater performance of Thailand’s airline industry. This will also prove that Thailand is set to become the aviation hub of the region. The shared route networks of the two airlines will be introduced worldwide; thus traveling to and around Thailand will be easier and would also result in boosting tourism—of which is the country’s major income.

Samui is among the top list of famous beach destinations in southern Thailand. According to statistics from the Department of Civil Aviation, tourist arrivals to Samui have progressively grown over the past years.

Also statistics from Tourism Authority of Thailand has shown that the Chinese market was potentially growing at a consistent rate. In 2005, tourist arrivals from China were recorded at 711,000 – a 12% hike in comparison to the previous year.

Apart from the cooperation in connecting route networks, THAI and Bangkok Airways have agreed in collaboration of commercial terms by coordinating in sales approaches to both ticket and package sales.

In late 2004, Bangkok Airways and THAI had, for the first time, a code-share agreement for which Bangkok Airways operated on THAI’s routes: Chiang Mai-Mae Hong Son and Chiang Mai-Luang Prabang. This was due to THAI’s aircraft routine check-up requirement. On the other hand, THAI operated for its counterpart the routes: Bangkok-Krabi and Bangkok-Phuket. This was then the beginning of the collaboration between THAI and Bangkok Airways.

That was a press release I hope It's OK to reproduce whole.

I, too, believe this is a way of pressuring Bangkok Air. Samui has many problems that dwarf the need for a new airport. Water and other infra-structure is far more paramount in my opinion. A great deal of those problems could be solved by an equitable tax distribution to Samui from the government in Suratthani. I personally have never encountered any problems catching flights to or from Samui, so I just don't see the "need" for a new airport. Granted, it is a tad expensive, though as someone mentioned, they do have several flights daily on web special at 2,000 baht. Very reasonable IMO. In short, if the government wants Samui to remain a popular destination, they need to maintain it's beauty and infra-structure.

regarding Thai Air and Bkk Air I understand that Bkk Air is asking exoerbiant landing fees (90.000) so there is a deal but thai can't fly any cheaper then the Bkk Air Price Dictate.....

Yep, the Samui Infrastructure Problem will not diappaer suddenly... another new pier is build at Nathon for what - or better for whom?

It is again in a very shallow shore position - like the one in Ban Rak - still not in use..... guess someone has made a couple a dimes...

There has been rumours about piping water via a pipeline from Nakhon si Thamarrat District... anyone?

As well as Samui is going to become it's own Municipality by 2007... anyone?

The other rumour is that the Tax - redistribution is per Capita - and because few of the Migrant Workers on Samui are registered - there are much more people living unaccounted for - on Samiuan soil - plus a million (or so) Visitors p.A. make Resources like water a very scare commodity.

The Development going on in the Hillsides and Hilltops is the next contributing to shortages - the wells need either to be dug through difficult, rocky soil or they need to be dug too deep - so water is carried up by trucks - from Samuis watertable - pumped up day by day - once this resource is gone.... do these water'dealers' pay any royalties for what they 'rob'? I wonder...

The other rumour that is floating around - is that a desalination plant is on the draftingboard.....anyone?

There seems to be a lot on the "drafts on the boards" but thats it......shame Samui has (still) great Potential - but it looks that it will be wasted with skyrocketing incompetence and malfeasance...

But then who can give up hope?

Edited by Samuian

I, too, believe this is a way of pressuring Bangkok Air. Samui has many problems that dwarf the need for a new airport. Water and other infra-structure is far more paramount in my opinion. A great deal of those problems could be solved by an equitable tax distribution to Samui from the government in Suratthani. I personally have never encountered any problems catching flights to or from Samui, so I just don't see the "need" for a new airport. Granted, it is a tad expensive, though as someone mentioned, they do have several flights daily on web special at 2,000 baht. Very reasonable IMO. In short, if the government wants Samui to remain a popular destination, they need to maintain it's beauty and infra-structure.

I think that your points and those of Roo hit the nail on the head.

There are new terminals and aprons being built at the present airport and I would have thought that they would cater for any increase in tourist numbers.

Thai International now have a codeshare agreement with Bangkok Airways for a couple of flights a day which might help stave off any monopolies accusations. Berajaya Airlines have a similar operation to K.L a couple of days a week.

I guess all you old timers already know this but the Bangkok Airways residents card gives a 20% air fare discount. They are only available at the beginning of each year for a limited period. Costs about 2000 Baht which is easily covered, even if you only fly a couple of times a year and brings the costs down to a reasonable level; particularly when you also get Flyer bonus points.

IMO and as stated on previous posts a new airport is not necessary and is really undesirable for many reasons.

Samuian,

I can answer a couple questions for you.

1, The water robbers pay nothing for the water if it's taken from a shallow well, if the the well is over 30 meters deep it's supposed be metered and a fee paid.

2, Desalination plant one has been build in Big Buddha should be working, only small set up.

The other rumour that is floating around - is that a desalination plant is on the draftingboard.....anyone?

The desalination plant is in fact already operational. It is located in Plai Leam just opposite the Thongsai Bay Soi entrance to the Plai Leam Temple. The water from the desalination plant is already being pumped around the island and inserted into the existing main line at certain locations.

I am on council water and usually in June - July it runs out on a regular basis and I have to truck it in - but has not done so this year (just as likely to do with the weather, but I am sure the plant has helped to support the larger demand from the construction and new hotels and homes etc).

As for the Ban Rak pier, they are attempting to dredge it but the dredger only works at night - not sure why but one explanaition given was that the boom on the crane dredging it was a potential hazard for incoming planes so has to work when planes are not coming in. Also it will be interesting to see the finished product (still a long way off at the current pace), because the dredged sand is being taken out to sea bout 500 metres and then dumped. This will either get pushed back into the pier or will create a new sandbar 500 metres from shore ... oh I love theses sots of projects, they just give me something to look at and talk about for ages while lying on the beach with my laptop and book.

watch out for long term damage on the shoreline due to dredging. Koh PHangan had their pier area (at thong sala) dredged years ago and the result has been beach erosion along the ban tai coast.

watch out for long term damage on the shoreline due to dredging. Koh PHangan had their pier area (at thong sala) dredged years ago and the result has been beach erosion along the ban tai coast.

The beach area in Ban Rak is already ruined when the road was put out to the island that Big Buddha is located on. It had no way of letting the water flow so the area filled up with sand and killed off the reef. It could be fixed if the road had some culverts put into or it or it was changed to a bridge ... maybe that will happen one day.

• 2 weeks later...
On the statement on Thai Airways website, it didn't mention landing slots for their aircraft. Does any one know if their planes will land on Samui, or is it purely Codeshare?

Probably codeshare. The smallest aircraft TG have are 737-400s which would need to operate with a reduced payload to meet the existing Runway length and load bearing characteristics.