Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?

Scott

7 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

Not entirely sure what your 1st paragraph was about. I wasn't talking about Syrian doctors.

And I'm glad you can be so cavalier with uprooting poor Dec and his whole family. Take it from me it's not easy.

Who said life is easy? It's not.

Anyway, Dec doesn't have to take his family, as he can be like millions of other men that support their families from afar.

On 11/23/2022 at 1:22 PM, johnnybangkok said:

And the example I gave? 
Is Dec from Newcastle (that’s his name now) with his wife and three kids and family all around going to “travel and live where the work is?”

Its not uncomment for Northerners to go to London to work during the week  and go home for the weekend , like its just 3 half hours by train 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 1:53 PM, josephbloggs said:

Brilliant, today's problems are because of Tony Blair and Gordon Brown and it is all the past stuff now biting them on the bum.  You do realise the Tories have been in power for 12 years now??  No blame there at all??  Nah, it's all because of stuff that happened before that that they haven't worked out how to fix. Right.  Bad Labour.

Besides the mention of Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, I think, it is spot on. But most of these reasons go way back, and were not 'fixed' in recent times. (Some, of course, like the deindustrialisation and being dependent on China are irreversible - creating problems not only for the UK, but even more so thanks to the reliance of the economy on London's financial industry.)

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

Not entirely sure what your 1st paragraph was about. I wasn't talking about Syrian doctors.

Yes, but I was. The first paragraph was to emphasize the pressing need of these trained professionals to leave their homelands. More of a case of stay and possibly get killed.

So what's your hypothetical Geordie's pressing need?

12 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

And I'm glad you can be so cavalier with uprooting poor Dec and his whole family. Take it from me it's not easy.

Believe me I know. It wasn't easy but we managed OK. For the less ardent, I'm pretty sure that motivational counseling is available in Newcastle.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

So these are people who can afford to have two residences?

No, they stay in Hotels ,  friends houses , accommodation provided by their employee , stay with work colleagues , stay with family , rent accommodation themselves or some sleep in vehicles and some sleep at their work

21 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I do recall when all the Brexiters were waxing indignantly about the loss of sovereignty over UK fishing grounds and the wonders Brexit would do for British fishing. Their solicitude for the UK's fishing industry seems to have evaporated as quickly from the scene as did Liz Truss.

This was caused by Covid and war in Ukraine :,

"Explaining the situation in an update to investors, Mr Ármannsson said 2022 "has turned into a very challenging year". He continued: "A year where we expected Covid-19 to end and life to go back to ‘normal’ – which turned into a year, characterised by a war in Europe, disruptions in value chains, high volatility in commodities, food prices and cost of capital."

10 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

"Explaining the situation in an update to investors, Mr Ármannsson said 2022 "has turned into a very challenging year". He continued: "A year where we expected Covid-19 to end and life to go back to ‘normal’ – which turned into a year, characterised by a war in Europe, disruptions in value chains, high volatility in commodities, food prices and cost of capital."

Can we have a link, I'd like to read the context to understand what some of the language is referring to.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

He also said:

"But we must adjust to a different reality and are therefore exiting the UK market from a value-added perspective. This is a difficult decision, but I believe it is the right one. We are committed to our main stakeholders and maintain our commitment to run a profitable business within the European value-added seafood industry."

So all the COVID/Ukrainian war issues seem not to impact business in Europe but are an insurance in the UK.

There is an irony in ‘Kippers’ voting for the route of the British fishing industry.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Can we have a link, I'd like to read the context to understand what some of the language is referring to.

Ok Ok OK , here is the link again ;

I thought that you would had opened the link when it was previously posted and you would have been aware of where the quote came from .

As you may have not have opened the link and read it when it was first posted , I have posted the link again below 

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/landmark-grimsby-seafood-factory-closing-7838339

Edited by Mac Mickmanus

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Ok Ok OK , here is the link again ;

I thought that you would had opened the link when it was previously posted and you would have been aware of where the quote came from .

As you may have not have opened the link and read it when it was first posted , I have posted the link again below 

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/landmark-grimsby-seafood-factory-closing-7838339

I thought as much

and the renovation and installation of the factory was very much affected by Covid and later Brexit along with difficulties in overall operations.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That was a fact, so I don't understand what was funny about that.

Its considered to be trolling when posters laugh at serious posts . I can conform that its not uncommon for Brits to travel to other part of the Country to work and go back home for the week-end .

I actually spoke to a guy who flys from Germany to work in London and goes back to Germany for the week-end 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 1:15 PM, Bluespunk said:

Not quite as badly. 

On 11/12/2022 at 1:28 PM, Bluespunk said:

Sure you do. 

On 11/12/2022 at 2:20 PM, Bluespunk said:

That they can't name either?

Do you have an opinion?

My opinion is the leaving the EU was a bad move.