trouble with new SSD again

3NUMBAS

1 hour ago, fdsa said:

elaborate please.

It´s simple. He has posted that BIOS cannot find the disk, but after that Windows device manager finds it, but he can´t use it. Very confusing. If BIOS can´t find it, then Windows usually can´t find it either. However, sometimes Windows can find it anyway, but then it´s usually something you can find and use.

Edited by Gottfrid

If BIOS can't detect it, maybe something is wrong with cabling or SSD drive is damaged? Did it disappear after an abrupt power failure?

Is it PCI Express or SATA? Actually either way, if re-seating doesn't help, can you get an external enclosure and plug it in externally via USB port?

If you have another SSD, that you can just temporarily insert, to go to BIOS, see if that drive is detected or not. If not, then reset BIOS to defaults, maybe upgrade BIOS, check what kind of boot options you have - toggle switches and see if anything is detected.

If the other drive works fine but this one doesn't, maybe your drive died. I've had several SSD drives die from the beginning, though recent ones seem more reliable (talking 10+ years back).

Off topic...and sorry for hi jacking.  But I built my own pc several years back. Os is sitting on a 120GB Kingston SSD.

The PC is getting a bit long in the tooth now and I want to ghost the abovementioned ssd.

What free ware is best to ghost with.

And how do I go about it.

I have a spare sata plug on the motherboard and cable.

Can I just connect the new drive and then use the ghosting software to copy my existing OS ssd content to the new one.

And then if I stick the new one in another computer will it boot up ok.

2 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

windows 7 system device manager and device shows ok ,  but bios wont see it

BIOS = Basic Input Output System

That is one of the first things what is working on a computer - way before any operation system starts.

If you use Windows, then just use Windows. Why would you care about the BIOS if your Windows works?

2 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Off topic...and sorry for hi jacking.  But I built my own pc several years back. Os is sitting on a 120GB Kingston SSD.

The PC is getting a bit long in the tooth now and I want to ghost the abovementioned ssd.

What free ware is best to ghost with.

And how do I go about it.

I have a spare sata plug on the motherboard and cable.

Can I just connect the new drive and then use the ghosting software to copy my existing OS ssd content to the new one.

And then if I stick the new one in another computer will it boot up ok.

Some, maybe all, SSD and M.2 manufacturer offer such software on their websites.

I.e. here: Samsung Magician & SSD Tools & Software Update | Samsung Semiconductor Global

16 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Some, maybe all, SSD and M.2 manufacturer offer such software on their websites.

I.e. here: Samsung Magician & SSD Tools & Software Update | Samsung Semiconductor Global

Thanks for the link.  Can you walk me through ghosting and whether I can just put the newly ghosted sSD into my computer and boot off it like the orignal SSD.

21 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

BIOS = Basic Input Output System

That is one of the first things what is working on a computer - way before any operation system starts.

If you use Windows, then just use Windows. Why would you care about the BIOS if your Windows works?

if he's trying to boot off of the SSD then the BIOS could be an issue. I had that problem with an NVMe SSD that I was trying to boot Windows 8 from. I had to manually patch the BIOS with a mod I found on the internet which thankfully didn't bring the laptop.

14 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Thanks for the link.  Can you walk me through ghosting and whether I can just put the newly ghosted sSD into my computer and boot off it like the orignal SSD.

You could just read the manual.

And I am sure there are YouTube videos about how to do that.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Adumbration said:

post another topic instead of hijacking a topic with a total different subject

8 minutes ago, MJCM said:

It would help if you disclose what kind/brand of SSD, what Bios and the version.

Have you tried updating the Bios?

Have you tried updating your Windows from 7 to 11? 555

AOMEI Partition Assistant works fine for me.

Edited by KannikaP