convert a visa exempt to a non o?

Is it still possible to enter thailand with a visa exempt and then convert to a Non O and then extend for 1 year due to retirement?

My friend from the usa tried today at Bangkok and they told him cannot do? He may not have asked the right questions?

If possible what does he need to do?

He had this previously and has kept funds in the bank here but the non o expired during covid while he was out of country.

As mentioned the minimum is 15 days left on his permission to stay, some offices may require 21 days, Chang Mai is one that needs 21 days.

If he has enough time and can show that his 800k was from overseas or in some cases that it has been on deposit for a substantial period of time, he may be able to take a trip to another area to stay for a couple of weeks and apply in a different area.

Bangkok is not known to be difficult so he probably applied late or without fund origin proof.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If he has enough time and can show that his 800k was from overseas or in some cases that it has been on deposit for a substantial period of time, he may be able to take a trip to another area to stay for a couple of weeks and apply in a different area.

That would not work. The rules require staying in the province where the office is located for a period of time the rules I posted shows 3 months but it is not strictly enforced when person has recently entered the country. Also when applying for the one year extension it has to done at the office where the visa was applied for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That would not work. The rules require staying in the province where the office is located for a period of time the rules I posted shows 3 months but it is not strictly enforced when person has recently entered the country. Also when applying for the one year extension it has to done at the office where the visa was applied for.

I was probably not clear enough. I was not talking about anything other than getting the Non-O Visa from immigration, as he was (for some reason) denied that. That process, as you are well aware of  I’m sure but others may not know, requires at least a 2 visits to the same immigration office. So a couple of weeks visit to an area will usually be sufficient.

So after getting the Non-O he is of course free to return to Bangkok and can then continue with the extension process there.

You say that you are required to continue the process at the office where your Non-O was issued, That is in nothing that I have seen, I certainly could be wrong but can’t see anything requiring that. There is nothing that I can see requiring or even suggesting that you should stay for 3 months.

Possibly the wording 

IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA OR VISA STATUS ALTERATION FOR 90 DAYS

Could bee seen to imply that, though isn’t it more likely that it is actually referring to the 90 day permission to stay that will be granted by the issuance of (and immediate use of) the Non-O visa?

There can be no suggestion that there is a requirement for a period of stay before applying for the initial Non-O visa certainly not 3 months.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

6 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You say that you are required to continue the process at the office where your Non-O was issued, That is in nothing that I have seen, I certainly could be wrong but can’t see anything requiring that. There is nothing that I can see requiring or even suggesting that you should stay for 3 months.

I have seen many reports of a different office than the one that issued the non-o visa denying a extension application.

It may be in a rule that has not been made public.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I have seen many reports of a different office than the one that issued the non-o visa denying a extension application.

It may be in a rule that has not been made public.

You certainly see more reports than anyone else I know of, and there  are a few offices that are known to be difficult. There are probably unpublished rules but I don’t recall many reports of the nature you are suggesting.

1 minute ago, eboy said:

@ubonjoe The document that you link to appears to be for a 90 day stay. Is that right? Any idea how one would apply for a 1 year stay?

You would apply for a one year extension of stay during the last 30 days of the 90 day stay from the non-o visa

You need to have a non-o visa to apply for the extension based upon retirement.

• Thanks 1

@ubonjoe

"You would apply for a one year extension of stay during the last 30 days of the 90 day stay from the non-o visa
You need to have a non-o visa to apply for the extension based upon retirement."

At the end of the one year extension what happens? Do you need to leave Thailand and repeat the entire process, or can you just extend again for one year, year after year?

44 minutes ago, eboy said:

@ubonjoe

"You would apply for a one year extension of stay during the last 30 days of the 90 day stay from the non-o visa
You need to have a non-o visa to apply for the extension based upon retirement."

At the end of the one year extension what happens? Do you need to leave Thailand and repeat the entire process, or can you just extend again for one year, year after year?

new extension every year

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, eboy said:

Do you need to leave Thailand and repeat the entire process, or can you just extend again for one year, year after year

No need to exit Thailand.

You will just apply for new extension.

Your pp will have an admitted till date.

You can apply for your new extension up to 30 (some offices 45) days prior.

You don't "lose" any days by applying early.

A good policy is to do it couple of weeks early just in case immigration wants something extra that you overlooked. 

The official Thai Immigration website indicates that an O visa is for people with family in Thailand, or who are volunteering at a non-profit.

https://thaievisa.go.th/non-immigrant-o

But I gather from the present discussion thread is that anyone can get an O visa. So is the Immigration website not telling the whole story, or am I missing some piece of the puzzle?

54 minutes ago, eboy said:

The official Thai Immigration website indicates that an O visa is for people with family in Thailand, or who are volunteering at a non-profit.

https://thaievisa.go.th/non-immigrant-o

But I gather from the present discussion thread is that anyone can get an O visa. So is the Immigration website not telling the whole story, or am I missing some piece of the puzzle?

That is not a immigration website look at the bottom of that page.image.png.61a6ba1e0bec935e330ee09141609ae4.png

That site does mention the non-o for retirement. You do need to dig to find it or start a application for a visa.

image.png.560dada697ebb4eb87766387f4ddc293.png

The immigration website does have a non-o visa for retirement on it. 

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

1 hour ago, eboy said:

@ubonjoe When I go to the "Download Form" page of the Immigration Bureau Royal Thai Police website

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=3202

I don't see the document you've linked to. What is the title of this document on the "Download Form page? Or did you get it from some other page?

You are not downloading a form if you click this link I posted. https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

It is a list of requirements titled.

image.png.1db6d3db341618038e61532e73fa85c3.png

Why you don't mention why he was denied Non-O conversion. The officer must have given a reason. Thousands of people apply for conversion and they get it successfully. And why your friend is not able to post it here? Is he not aware of this forum, handicapped, etc. etc. What are his problems? Tell him to post here with details of why he was denied his application to get meaningful suggestions so that he could take corrective actions and reapply. Never heard of anybody denied Non-O conversion for no reason at all. If he is living in Bangkok, applying in a different location is not recommended. If he has not yet decided where he would live, he can come to Pattaya and live in Pattaya and apply in Pattaya. And then after he successfully gets his one year extension, he could move wherever he wanted. 

• Like 1