Aussie old age pension eligibilty question

1 hour ago, whereyougo said:

Absolutely no problem if you can get back in under 5 years I just did it and just had to promise I was a returning expat . Got both Medicare and a pension straight away

I been away longer than 5 years. I believe if I returned to Australia doesn't matter how long you been away you can go straight on the pension if you are old enough, but got a feeling with Medicare...if you been away more than 2 or 5 years (I forget) there is a waiting period to get free medical again 

Edited by Kenny202

4 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I been away longer than 5 years. I believe if I returned to Australia doesn't matter how long you been away you can go straight on the pension if you are old enough, but got a feeling with Medicare...if you been away more than 2 or 5 years (I forget) there is a waiting period to get free medical again 

Me original Post was edited to say pension card.. I skimmed the topic and will move on to avoid more confusion

"Residency is based upon how long a person has been a resident of Australia between the age of 16 and age pension age (currently 65 and moving to 67 in 2023) and the person does not have to be in paid employment within that period. " AWLR Australian Working Life Residency.

This means if you have been in Australia (forget holidays) for 35 years from 16th birthday to the pension age (soon to be 67) then you qualify (on this point) for full OAP.

An example:

-Born in Australia

-Achieves 16th birthday.

-Then leaves australia to live or work in another country for say 40 years

-Meaning returns to Aust. at 54 years old.

-The difference between 67 (the official retirement age) and the total above of 54 = 13.

- 3 is way way under the requirement of 35 years resident IN australia to qualify for the OAP.

-But I'm not sure whether in this case the person might be entitled to a 13/35  (about 37%) proportion of the full OAP on this point. Needs checking.

Ten years relates to people who have officially migrated to Australia from certain countries. But this needs to be checked what original countries this applies to. Also if the person is entitled to some type of pension from their original country this must be declared and is taken into considration in determining the amount of $ benefit that person will get from the Aust. OAP. 

Keep in mind that Centrelink has always active links to the authorities in many countries and they can easily check if you might be entitled to a penion from another country.

Edited by scorecard

On 11/17/2022 at 7:06 AM, itsari said:

The 35 years is to qualify for the full pension . There may well be a minimum of years to qualify for any pension at all . 

If you have lived out of Australia then you must live there for two years to qualify for the pension for portability . I am not sure if you would receive a pension when you arrive back .

There draconian rules apply to Australian and non Australian citizens .

Australia has a number of countries they  have agreements with that can change matters . Thailand is not one of them and that includes the UK . 

I have no desire to live in Australia to receive the pension  what I paid for . They have changed the rules and are robbing thousands of people . Something needs to be done to make the Australian government to pay up .

That's not his question, he's explained several times that's not his question.