Patient claims surgeons cut his leg off without his permission - goes to Lawyer's Council for action

webfact

On 11/17/2022 at 4:18 AM, BestB said:

May well be true, but knowing Thai inability and laziness to read anything, would not surprise me if it was there and he simply did not bother to read or to ask any question.

My rental agreement is half a page, written in large print, no more than 60-70 words and 99.9% do not read, just sign it and when they breach it are in total shock as if they had never seen it, even though they signed it

Here in the U.S. I have had people upset with me because I won't just sign the document they hand me and give it back to them.  Many times at the end of the document above the signature line is a statement that (paraphrased) reads, by signing this document you agree that you have read it.

I also, frequently, get documents that also reads that by signing it, I have been given another document.   When I ask where that document is, some of the things I am told are, we don't print that out, no one ever reads that, I don't know what that document is, we don't have that document here, just sign it, we will give you a copy (of the document they didn't give me) when you leave/before you leave, ets.  When I tell them I won't sign the document until I have a copy of the one that they didn't give me, one person told me that she had to cancel my appointment! 

On 11/18/2022 at 5:29 PM, Dogmatix said:

Not really a good excuse, if the surgeon didn't bother to tell him. You mean you think it's OK not to tell the patient and ask permission verbally, as long as it is slipped into the written form, possibly after he signed it?

You assuming what surgeon may or may not have said and nothing get slipped into a form after its signed, it is not blank piece of paper but typed up document

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/20/2022 at 10:38 AM, Kwaibill said:

I think it may be in part because Thai written language appears to even be difficult for many Thais. I know my wife often depends on her phone directions rather than try to read the signs when travelling. 

Has nothing to do with language being difficult, but has to do with laziness to read or even ability to read.

On 11/20/2022 at 11:41 AM, radiochaser said:

Here in the U.S. I have had people upset with me because I won't just sign the document they hand me and give it back to them.  Many times at the end of the document above the signature line is a statement that (paraphrased) reads, by signing this document you agree that you have read it.

I also, frequently, get documents that also reads that by signing it, I have been given another document.   When I ask where that document is, some of the things I am told are, we don't print that out, no one ever reads that, I don't know what that document is, we don't have that document here, just sign it, we will give you a copy (of the document they didn't give me) when you leave/before you leave, ets.  When I tell them I won't sign the document until I have a copy of the one that they didn't give me, one person told me that she had to cancel my appointment! 

no idea how your post relates to what i said, but ok

20 hours ago, BestB said:

Has nothing to do with language being difficult, but has to do with laziness to read or even ability to read.

The byzantine aspects of Thai written language relate directly to those problems. With several existing systems to choose from Ramkhamhaeng elected to create an entirely new, and therefore uniquely Thai, alphabet.

Thainess does not guarantee ease of assimilation for sure, though I admit I also failed with Russian and Japanese.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2022 at 11:59 AM, radiochaser said:

If your post was about people not reading hospital documents, but signing where told to, that is what my response is about.  I read what they give me.

Only this topic is NOT about you or what you do

I new an older lady that had Gout!  Was given a drug and she died a couple of weeks later. I asked the daughter what the drug was and googled it. It was basically homicide IMO.  Not one word of a I am sorry from the doctor. People that say come to Thailand for medical care are putting their lives on the line.  This lady that died , died one of the most horrible deaths I have ever seen all because of a negligent doctor. 

Edited by Gknrd