Second Social Security Notice.

khaepmu

I just received a second social security form7162. They said they hadn't received the first form which I had sent registered mail. This is the second time this has happened to me. I have found that the Thai postal system is reliable. I am not sure how to send this second form. Maybe just standard air mail. They said if they don't received the form within 45 days, they might stop my benefir payouts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Instead of paying silly FedEx, UPS, DHL prices, I'd just make 5 copies of the form, and send them regular post.  At least would have to make it through.

Pay for them all at the same time, but only mail 1 while at post office, then drop the other 4 off, on different days.  Just in case the one box/bag carrying all at 1 point, gets lost.  Sh!t happens.

22 yrs on, and all mine have made it, simply regular, cheap post.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Instead of paying silly FedEx, UPS, DHL prices, I'd just make 5 copies of the form, and send them regular post.  At least would have to make it through.

22 yrs on, and all mine have made it, simply regular, cheap post.

I agree with the silly money but what if none arrive? He will loose his benefits and thus loose much more IMHO.

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MJCM said:

And what if none arrive? He will loose his benefits and thus loose much more IMHO.

FedEx, UPS, DHL is no guarantee either, as they lose stuff also.  Especially at Xmas time when using part time temporary help.  One of those krap jobs I had ????

If OP knows someone in states, could send to them, and they could forward registered USPS, then would have a receipt.

Edited by KhunLA

Just now, KhunLA said:

FedEx, UPS, DHL is no guarantee either, as they lose stuff also.  Especially at Xmas time when using part time temporary help.  One of those <deleted> jobs I had ????

I sent several very important docs back to my lawyers and banks and all have arrived with Fedex.  Only stuff send via regular mail did not arrive, still waiting for a bank authenticator, looks like a calculator but it isn’t

Hubby received a second notice also and he sent his first letter back, also.

DHL, FedEx, UPS isn't an option since the receiving address is a PO box.  Have to use Thai post.

First letter he sent from a Thai Post substation in a mall that I've always claimed isn't a "real post office".  He has a difference of opinion.  This time he's going to a "real" post office and will mail with a higher level of traceability.  

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, khaepmu said:

just received a second social security form7162. They said they hadn't received the first form which I had sent registered mail. This is the second time this has happened to me. I have found that the Thai postal system is reliable. I am not sure how to send this second form. Maybe just standard air mail. They said if they don't received the form within 45 days, they might stop my benefir payouts.

Aloha Mate... Just received my second notice, never received the first... Mailing it out EMS SAT..

Hey @khaepmuThank you for requesting some ideas here on what to do. I received my "second request" today. It seems the SSA has a real problem in managing their mail.  I just received the same letter and form.  This is the second time in the past 3 years that I've mailed them a document in their enclosed addressed envelope for which they claimed not to have received.  The first time in 2020, it cost me over $2500 and they'll take no credit for their or the postal services inefficiency/inadequacy (in 2020 it did not have to do with notification questionary. it was to do with Medicare, still 'they are never wrong'.  

@KhunLAThank you for such a 'brilliant' idea.  That's what I'm going to do.  EMS and Registered mail have become ridiculously expensive and because it's to a PO box, no one is going to sign for it anyway.  My Thai PO is only a few kilometers from the house, so that's exactly what I'm doing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Mansell said:

Why not make a copy and send to the Philippines Social Security office at the US Embassy. They are usually pretty good with communications.

I might do this, too. They were the office that resolved my problem in 2020, but it still cost me chunk of money (deductions from my SSA payment).

In mid 2019 (before the pandemic) I did some 3 test mailings from Bangkok to Texas and California mail forwarding addresses via "registered" airmail and "regular" airmail.    Each test mailing was done from the same post office here in Bangkok and both the register and regular mail were sent at the same time with the same postal clerk.   When these mailings arrive I would get an immediate email notification of arrival and a snapshot of the arrived mail envelope.   The three regular airmails arrived in 11 to 14 days; the three registered airmails arrived in 21 to 32 days...or said another way the registered airmail took 2 to 3 times as long to arrive due to how the USPS handles registered mail.

In 2021 I did a registered airmail test to the California address....it took 40 days to arrive.   in 2022 I did two regular airmail tests to Texas and California...they took 18 and 10 days, respectively to arrive.

Summary:  registered airmail to the U.S. is expensive and based on my testing is usually much slower than regular airmail.  The problem is "not" on the Thailand end with the Thai Postal System but on the U.S. end with the USPS.

• Thanks 1

On 11/17/2022 at 3:08 PM, KhunLA said:

FedEx, UPS, DHL is no guarantee either, as they lose stuff also.  Especially at Xmas time when using part time temporary help.  One of those krap jobs I had ????

If OP knows someone in states, could send to them, and they could forward registered USPS, then would have a receipt.

No guarantee that’ll work either. I sent my first notice response from a Post Office in California in August and yet got the 2nd notice dated 17 October last week

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Pib said:

Summary:  registered airmail to the U.S. is expensive and based on my testing is usually much slower than regular airmail.  The problem is "not" on the Thailand end with the Thai Postal System but on the U.S. end with the USPS.

Registered mail at least provides proof of delivery for a fee of 325 baht versus standard mail. I agree it is slow for some unknown reason. To me it is worth it to get the proof of delivery.

I just received the second notice today.  Dated October 27.  Saying form was never received.  I sent the form in months ago.  Registered Mail.  The tracking showed it was received at SSA, months ago.  I cant find the tracking number.  I guess I have to send it in again. Hoping they dont lose it.