Do You Trust Your Internet Shop..

RDN

On the idea of copying and pasting from Wordpad, does anyone know if there is any keylogger that records information in the copy-paste buffer; in other words not typed in?

If this kind of keylogger does not exist, why not? Is there any technical reason that it could not be developed?

Also, it is my understanding there are indeed viruses that install programs that record the screenshots of everthing that happens during a computing session, and then send to a remote site. Does anyone know how common this is?

Clearly, even if keyloggers don't track info in the copy-paste buffer, if a screen shot program was installed, using the copy paste from a Wordpad file would be useless because there would be a screenshot record of all actions onscreen.

It seems to me there are lots of people who are in a position where they do need to do secure transactions from internet cafes. This is obviously not desirable, but it is a reality.

A program called Spector Pro records not only Keystrokes and BOTH sides of all Chat sessions, it records Screenshots at a rate the installer can set himself. The program records ALL activity on the Computer - not just when connected to the Internet. All this information is recorded on the Computer HD and can be viewed by starting the program using Hotkeys - and the Hotkeys can also be configured to choice.

However the program will not send the information over the Internet - you have to have physical access to the machine to read recorded Data.

Another program from the same Company, E-Blaster, records all Emails sent and received (accessed) on the Computer and sends a copy to an Email Address you specify. There is even a "Remote Install" option whereby you do not need to have physical access to the target Computer to install the program.

A program called Spector Pro records not only Keystrokes and BOTH sides of all Chat sessions, it records Screenshots at a rate the installer can set himself. The program records ALL activity on the Computer - not just when connected to the Internet. All this information is recorded on the Computer HD and can be viewed by starting the program using Hotkeys - and the Hotkeys can also be configured to choice.

:o I just installed Spector Pro v4.0. It's incredible - captures everything: keystrokes, screenshots, emails. It is incredibly useful though - I just played back everything I've done over the last 2 days. A bit like seeing your life flashing before your eyes...

God help us if this stuff is installed at your internet cafe. OK, so no more banking work at cafes... :D

Thanks, p_brownstone.

I've come at the problem from the other end..

I run a 30 day access account at my bank...so all I have to do is log-on periodically (say once a week) and check 'future transactions'..and if there is anything unauthorized I can cancel it and contact the bank.

I can make immediate transfers from the account but I have to contact the bank directly to do this..and obviously there is a loss of interest.

HSBC bank btw.

Have i overlooked anything?

:o I just installed Spector Pro v4.0. It's incredible - captures everything: keystrokes, screenshots, emails. It is incredibly useful though - I just played back everything I've done over the last 2 days. A bit like seeing your life flashing before your eyes...

God help us if this stuff is installed at your internet cafe. OK, so no more banking work at cafes... :D

Thanks, p_brownstone.

Yeah, those keyloggers are very scary.

Do you know if the keylogger programs capture text that is moved by DRAG and DROP, as opposed to copy paste in the clipboard? Text in drag and drop is not stored in the clipboard, but I don't know where or how it is exactly stored as it is moved by drag and drop.

Thanks, p_brownstone.

Yeah, those keyloggers are very scary.

Do you know if the keylogger programs capture text that is moved by DRAG and DROP, as opposed to copy paste in the clipboard? Text in drag and drop is not stored in the clipboard, but I don't know where or how it is exactly stored as it is moved by drag and drop.

I don't know - the Spector Pro program might catch what you are doing if a particular screen capture coincides with your dragging and dropping. You can adjust the capture rate down to a minimum of 1 second, so when you play it back, it looks almost like real-time, and at that capture rate, it'll probably show what you've moved.

You can configure not only the rate, but also how much disk space to allocate to the data files and how many days worth of data to retain. Very user friendly - and very dangerous!

You are just as exposed using your laptops from home.

Mandatory programs

Spyware--updated

Updated virus scanner

Firewall-updated

Adware-updated

I use wells fargo online banking--anyone with my password and username can view the account details, transfer to my credit card, and transfer money to my online trading account. They could aslo buy and sell all the stocks they wanted.

Noway to get money out.

You are just as exposed using your laptops from home. 

Mandatory programs

Spyware--updated

Updated virus scanner

Firewall-updated

Adware-updated

I use wells fargo online banking--anyone with my password and username can  view the account details, transfer to my credit card, and transfer money to my online trading account.  They could aslo buy and sell all the stocks they wanted.

Noway to get money out.

Yes, I know... and I've got:

Fully Updated XP Pro

Firewall enabled

Norton Anti-Virus

Trojanhunter

PestPatrol

BHO Demon

SpyBot

AdAware

...no wonder it runs like a dog :o:D

I returned to an internet cafe 10 min after I left,

to look for lost sunglasses, and I saw a Thai guy looking through

my mail....seems he just looked at the "history" and there was

my yahoo mail, I told him to stop , and at first he just ignored me...

, then reluctantly closed it...

You should have signed out from your email !!!

(if you don't know, closing the window does not sign out!)

For others, I think you are quite paranoiac, because even though it is technically easy to keylogg, I think people in these shops have other things to care about than doing that.

I know many people who gamble on the stock exchange from public internet, and none of them ever had a problem.

But everything is possible, so you want to reduce the risk, don't do online banking ( and don't check your email! ;-) ) on public computers!

I think it is probably not paranoia; it is common sense.

Paranoia isn't paranoia if it is based on real threats.

Would you have sex with a stranger without a condom?

The public computers at internet cafes can easily be infected with spyware introduced from other sources than the cafe employees. These hidden programs can easily log all your keystokes and screens and then send them to someone in the Ukraine (an example of a place where prosecution of international cyber criminals is near to impossible).

I know very little about all such things, but when I run programs like Ad-Aware, the stuff it comes up with tells me VERY little.

How am I supposed to know if a certain registry key is vital to a desirable process or some kind of malware with the secret intention of stealing my banking details, sodomizing my wife while recording the process, and slandering my German Shepherd?

Can anyone tell me please?

Cheers,

Meadish

How am I supposed to know if a certain registry key is vital to a desirable process or some kind of malware with the secret intention of stealing my banking details, sodomizing my wife while recording the process, and slandering my German Shepherd?

Can anyone tell me please?

Actually Mead your not far off, for starters clean up your registry,

...Start/run/regedit ... HI_KEY_CURRENT USER/Software ...

Take a look, any programs or applications you don't recognize ? Delete it ....

But first, export the current registry to a folder somewhere in case you F... things totally up, you can restore by importing same,

A lot of bundled apps will launch from your registry, ("viewpoint", etc,), most are data miners and will cause no real harm other than slowing your system down by robbing resources, for giggles open your task manager to see what's currently running. You'll be amazed, well I'm sorry but the pot's a-boil and we're so easily called away .... :o