If YOU, a Farang, had been Compelled to be Born into an Asian culture: Which Asian Culture would you have Chosen for your Unborn-Self of Yesteryear?

GammaGlobulin

6 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Im aware of the record and the record holder, but stil being a Sherpa is not that lucrative except for poor Napalis who risk their lives because they are poor. Nepal have most of its history been in a squeeze and forced in one direction or another because of it location. 

Still feel for the open landscape, born wild and free in a wealthy time in Mongolia as a man. 

22 hours ago, RayWright said:

Singapore, aka The Little Red Dot.

Founding Nation of the WTO (World Toilet Organisation), with World Toilet Day celebrated annually on 19th November. (Don't forget to flush a public toilet after use, otherwise you'll be fined.

.Screenshot_20221120-120050_Chrome.jpg.e7707fec8207df52a15ae1b90e849064.jpg

I lived there in the 70s. Loved the place. No strikes every 5 minutes, safe, efficient, everything worked as it should, no corruption that I could see, no dole bludgers, no vandals or graffiti artists, good standard of living for all, and a great life style.

Yes, they enforced standards, but so what? Does anyone like using a filthy public toilet?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The idea of being a salaryman in Japan does not appeal to me, and need to have money to live well there.

However, being a DJ in the AKB48 theatre would be acceptable.

Exactly. And this why the question of country alone is not enough. Or would you like to live in the Netherlands while being a compassionate mountaineer ? But I would find quite any country quite acceptable if I had tons of dosh I believe. You might come and go to visit your other 15 residences. I did come from Switzerland. If you have the money (and I mean MANY of it) than this a very acceptable place to live, too. Just look where many of the celebritites or billionaires stay. There must be a reason for it.

If it came to Japan, then I would rather prefer to be a (moderate) Oyabun instead of a salaryman (or maybe not ?) or a member of a buddhist temple. Same in Bhutan (omit the Oyabun then ????). Many possibilitites, many ways to change. Unfortunately for most of the possibilities you need funds especially during changes. Me and my wife are living in Thailand now. I find it quite acceptable and at times even superb and our funds are sufficient, too. I would not want to live here with only a bit to spend

However to be a DJ - wherever that would be (no idea what AKB48 is) - would be out of the question, although I am a musician for nearly 50 years. But many things have changed since then.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I lived there in the 70s. Loved the place. No strikes every 5 minutes, safe, efficient, everything worked as it should, no corruption that I could see, no dole bludgers, no vandals or graffiti artists, good standard of living for all, and a great life style.

Yes, they enforced standards, but so what? Does anyone like using a filthy public toilet?

Some of these new standards did spoil the atmosphere. It was much nicer before they skipped the food stalls. Everything exactly planned and under control. Which has its advantages. I like a clean public toilet, too. But I do not like to be government controlled in many steps I take in my life. I think everybody needs air to breathe.

What I dont like as well are the hassles to get a car. Application which needs ages, prices in the sky, need for a confirmation of a parking. And what I dont like are the (even) moderate Muslim influences. What I definitely like: The Raffles (and the Satay Club, if this still exists - it has been quite some time that I have been there the last time).

Edited by moogradod

16 hours ago, moogradod said:

no idea what AKB48 is)

It's one of those Japanese girl groups that do choreographed dancing and sing songs, Make millions of $ and are chosen on looks, so all fit, slim, beautiful, sexy, DDG. Started with 48 dancers and currently have about 90 in various off shoot groups and in a few different countries.

Plenty of VDOs on U Tube if interested.

16 hours ago, moogradod said:

Some of these new standards did spoil the atmosphere. It was much nicer before they skipped the food stalls. Everything exactly planned and under control. Which has its advantages. I like a clean public toilet, too. But I do not like to be government controlled in many steps I take in my life. I think everybody needs air to breathe.

What I dont like as well are the hassles to get a car. Application which needs ages, prices in the sky, need for a confirmation of a parking. And what I dont like are the (even) moderate Muslim influences. What I definitely like: The Raffles (and the Satay Club, if this still exists - it has been quite some time that I have been there the last time).

Last time I was there, the Satay Club had to move, but no idea if still going. I went to the original location near the Merlion quite often.

When talking about Singapore being over regulated one has to remember that they had huge race riots in the past, and had to take action to overcome the hatred- seemed to have worked.

Singapore is too small to allow unrestricted car ownership, and their public transport was excellent when I was there.

Only went to Raffles once. Didn't see the appeal.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Only went to Raffles once. Didn't see the appeal.

The appeal is the colonial style. I like the colonial style and have lodged at the Raffels twice. Then it is the history. Same as with the Mandarin Oriental in BKK. Or with the Centara Grand in Hua Hin. If there is no room to my liking available there I would skip Hua Hin then. I LOVE these places.

Edited by moogradod
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1