Can 45 day visa be extended to 60?

Entered on a Non A-O. Last eight years extension base on marriage. I've been too lazy to change. Then covid. But I can no longer resist the simplicity of a Non O yearly extension. So I planned a visa hop to Vientiane to get 45 day visa. Then apply for non-o at CM immigration. But I can't apply because my USA passport expires in 17 months. I don't want to risk not having passport in 45 days, if I renew passport now.
Can I get a 60 day extension on the 45 day visa. That would give time to renew passport. 
My wife says to go to CM immigration and ask them. I think advice from experts here is a better option. 

Thank you for responding. A Non O yearly extension is a lot simpler than a marriage extension I have been using. If I extend my OA it would require insurance. I have an excellent AIA policy with a good agent.
That's why I want change to non O.

A 30 day extension would work if I could extend now. That would give me 75 days to renew passport. If I can only extend after 30 days That still gives me only 30 days to renew.

10 minutes ago, cgros said:

A 30 day extension would work if I could extend now. That would give me 75 days to renew passport. If I can only extend after 30 days That still gives me only 30 days to renew.

You can apply for the 30 day extension up to 30 days early at some offices. Then if you needed more time you could a apply for the 60 day extension to visit your wife.

• Thanks 1

Sorry. I think I was not clear enought in first post.
I don't want an extension of my OA because of insurance requirement. (I have policy with AIA).
And I don't want to extend based on marriage due to additional paperwork.
I want to change to non O. Which I think requires 18 months remaining on passport.

17 minutes ago, cgros said:

Sorry. I think I was not clear enought in first post.
I don't want an extension of my OA because of insurance requirement. (I have policy with AIA).
And I don't want to extend based on marriage due to additional paperwork.
I want to change to non O. Which I think requires 18 months remaining on passport.

There is no minimum time remaining on you to apply for a non-o visa at immigration.

You would only need the 12 months remaining to apply for the extension of stay.

At the most you might need 15 months when taking into consideration the 90 day stay from the non-o visa to get the entire 12 months from the extension.

• Like 1

Thank you for the requirements link. But please see this link from Thai officials stating 18 months on visa required.https://www.mfa.go.th/en/page/non-immigrant-visa-o-a?menu=5e1ff71bc4281a00c812e8e2

Part 2. "documents required"

I am not challenging your advice. You are respected by me. I just have conflicting info.

Maybe the conflicting info is due to the O-A being obtained outside Thailand. And O can be obtained inside Thailand.

Edited by cgros

1 minute ago, cgros said:

Thank you for the requirements link. But please see this link from Thai officials stating 18 months on visa required.https://www.mfa.go.th/en/page/non-immigrant-visa-o-a?menu=5e1ff71bc4281a00c812e8e2

I am not challenging your advice. You are respected by me. I just have conflicting info.

The visa is not to be confused with an extension (that cannot go beyond the expiry date of a passport).

Quite simply you carry the old passport (with the visa in) AND the new passport which has your latest immigration stamps in.

22 minutes ago, cgros said:

Maybe the conflicting info is due to the O-A being obtained outside Thailand. And O can be obtained inside Thailand.

The O visa can be obtained both inside AND outside of Thailand. It can be issued for a variety of reasons with the two most common ones asked about in here being Retirement and Marriage. 

The standard form of this visa is single entry which grants a permission to stay of 90 days. That can be extended one year at a time provided you meet the qualifying conditions. 

OA gives you a 12 month stay which explains the 18 month passport validity requirement (12+6).

Edited by Lemsta69

27 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Quite simply you carry the old passport (with the visa in) AND the new passport which has your latest immigration stamps in.

No need to carry your old passport if you have your stamps transferred to the new passport at immigration.

37 minutes ago, cgros said:

That is only needed if applying for a Non-OA visa at a embassy or consulate in your home country or country of legal residence.

Not needed if you apply for a one year extension of stay. You only need 12 months remaining to get the entire 12 months the extension is valid for.

Yes I think your'e correct. I got spooked by the non OA 18 month on passport requirement. Does not pertain to non O.

But very strange when I go to the Chiang Mai immigration site. There is an area "Documents to be submitted for CHANGE visa for retirement purposes Non-O" It appears one can CHANGE visa to non-O as long as you apply before 15 days of the
current visa expiration.

Can one really CHANGE a visa without doing a visa hop?

14 minutes ago, cgros said:

Can one really CHANGE a visa without doing a visa hop?

You can if you are on a visa exempt or tourist visa you can apply for non-o visa at immigration.

There have reports of Chiang Mai immigration requiring 21 days remaining on your entry.

Here is my plan to change visa to non O:

1.Fly Nok Air direct from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani. 
2.Minivan to Nong Khai and cross to Vientiane. 
3.Use eVisa for entry into Laos.
4.Immediately return to Nong Khai and enter visa exempt.
5.Minivan back to Udon. And fly home to CM.
6.Apply for Non O at CM immigration.

How does this sound to the visa/visa hop experts?

• Like 1