Guitar .

jvs

Which guitar and amp did you buy ? 

Before you even start you should try to get the guitar ' set up ' for you. This means adjusting the action ( height of strings from fretboard ) so that the strings are as low as possible without buzzing on the frets when you finger chords. The reason why this is important is that if the guitar is physically difficult to play because the strings are too high it puts off a lot of beginners who give up. In connection with this you should buy a set of extra light gauge strings ( 42 32 24 16 11 9 )  which are easier to play and better for electric guitar. Ernie Ball Super Slinky are a popular choice with many players.

Once you have attended to these two things you will find the whole experience a lot easier.

You won't really benefit from a teacher since there are millions of tutorial lessons on youtube. EG.

You can search them out yourself. Learn a few basic chords to start and master these so that you can play a few songs.

I have just learnt the chords to this from Youtube ( not the solo ...too difficult ) and you will notice the advantage of estra light strings as they are a lot easier to bend :

Lead guitar can come a bit later, again , plenty of tutorials on you tube.

Edited by Denim

I got a Yamaha Pacifica 112V and a Fender Champion 20 watt amp.

I already looked a lot on Youtube and there are many different ways

and options to learn,nearly too many if you catch my drift.

Most go too fast for me,i am an absolute beginner.

8 minutes ago, Denim said:

I have just learnt the chords to this from Youtube ( not the solo ...too difficult ) and you will notice the advantage of estra light strings as they are a lot easier to bend :

Extra light strings could suffer from going out of tune easily. Start with 10 - 46 guage. I do not think an absolute beginner will be 'bending' notes quite yet.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Extra light strings could suffer from going out of tune easily.

Depends on guitar. Don't have that problem on my knock off Tele.

But since you mention being in tune this is another area beginners struggle with. You can buy a tuning gizmo from Lazada but they work better on acoustic than electric. I use this video quite a lot.

Edited by Denim

6 minutes ago, parafareno said:

good luck learning...the older you get the harder it is....

i started with 10 years old....today I am pretty good, but the younger guys play much faster because they start at 6, 7 years old and have abundance of online tutorials which i did not had

I'm over 60, bought an electric guitar in Bangkok a few years ago to learn how to play, just for fun. I suggest learning online (for free) and the absolute best teacher is at justinguitar.com He is amazing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

The electronic ones which clamp to the headstock are fine on both electric & acoustic as they work through vibrations as well as sound. Gibson now make

I bought a cheap one on Lazada and it was ok on my acoustics. But most of the cheaper ones like the one I bought work only on vibrations not sound.Fewer vibrations on a solid body compared to hollow body.

I would advise the op that if he wants to get one get a good one.

I never use the one I bought as although it gets the tuning in the ballpark it is not spot on, especially when using a capo. Annoying when you are playing something and you can hear that something is a wee bit out. How sweet when everything is spot on.

Sigh. Unfortunately my playing days are drawing to a close because of arthritis. The simplest chord , Am , is now difficult for me since I can hardly bend my index finger. At least playing lead is still pretty easy.

I signed up for justenguitar.com,thank you Des1.

I downloaded an app for tuning the guitar and it seems to work pretty well.

I am well over 60 years old but i am willing to give it a try,if it does not work out ,there is a family member who wants to be a rockstar.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Denim said:

The simplest chord , Am

Surely Am is just as difficult as C, A, G & E major which need three fingers (unless you do A with just one). Em, A7 with open G and D only need two. No bending involved  555

• Haha 1