How much is a cheap studio condo in Asoke/ Nana area?

jack71

I live in another province of Thailand and visit Bangkok once a month. 

In the next year or 2 I intend to apply for Thai citizenship and understand that I need to get an address in Central Bangkok in order to apply at the special branch office in Siam. I intend to move my yellow book to the new address. 

If I wanted a small studio condo in Asoke / Nana area how much would I be paying. 

What reputable websites should I look at? 

Do landlords allow yellow books being updated on their property? I read somewhere that some of them dont like this at all. 

thanks

Most landlords will not cooperate with requests for tabien baan registration at their properties. They have to do some paperwork for you and to report again that you have gone. Many rental properties don’t have a householder which is essential to register occupants and they are not going to assign a tenant to be the householder. 

You need to buy your own condo in Bkk or get on a friend’s tabien baan there. 

The cabinet resolved in Jan 2022 to axe Special a branch from the citizenship process completely and give the whole thing to the Interior Ministry to administer from beginning to end, including processing initial applications in DOPA (Dept of Provincial Administration) offices the provinces. DOPA has been drafting new ministerial regulations for this, including for new Thai language tests, which are intended to take effect in early 2023. These will be only the second set of ministerial regulations pursuant to the 1965 Nationality Act. The first regulations were issued in 1967 but new ministerial guidelines that don’t have to be announced in the Royal Gazette and thus don’t have force of law were last issued in 2009.

Special Branch only has one dedicated office for citizenship applications which is in Bangkok and they has been happy to take applications from people who line the provinces, knowing that SB offices in other provinces were ill equipped  to handle applications. They were happy to overlook the fact these applicants had only cosmetic tabien baans in Bkk. But it is too early to say how this situation is going to pan out under DOPA. 

if you are ready to go with your application, it is probably worth getting a tabien baan in Bkk and applying with SB while the Bkk office is still functioning. Otherwise I Wouk’s hold off re-registering in Bkk until the new regulations are issued and there is Mor clarity about they will be applied.

• Thanks 1

I wouldn’t depend on those websites.  There are many properties listed but much of the information is outdated.  
I have lived for a year in Onut and for the past two years in Asoke.  Both times I have used property agents.  Not all are good, not all are bad.  I suggest you use one . Instead of going from place to place asking if anything is available.  Which can be very time consuming.  

As for pricing.  It depends on what amenities you want.  What type of building it’s in,  older or newer.  Condo or apartment building.  Close to BTS station or not. 
    Prices in Central Bangkok are for the most part more expensive.  Asoke and Nana are prime areas.  

On 11/22/2022 at 9:21 PM, JimTripper said:

Use Facebook Groups. The agents list on there. The units have to be manually updated so you know the recent ones are available. You don’t search, it just gets bumped up as it’s listed.

Bangkok Expats would be a good start. Usually there are plenty of agents trolling that group that will activate themselves and PM you!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2022 at 10:10 PM, airbalance said:

Bangkok Expats would be a good start. Usually there are plenty of agents trolling that group that will activate themselves and PM you!

True, but make sure they are from a physical agency. The link will be in their profile. Seems like just anyone can call themselves an agent and get a commission from the landlord. They will want an agency with a real office so they can be around to negotiate about deposit returns and also make sure the owner who is getting your two months deposit is legit and not just someone subletting who is going to disappear with your money.

Edited by JimTripper

On 12/6/2022 at 9:25 AM, JimTripper said:

True, but make sure they are from a physical agency. The link will be in their profile. Seems like just anyone can call themselves an agent and get a commission from the landlord. They will want an agency with a real office so they can be around to negotiate about deposit returns and also make sure the owner who is getting your two months deposit is legit and not just someone subletting who is going to disappear with your money.

True - but that can easily be verified once they say they are from some agency, give that agency lanline a call to cross check their names.

10 minutes ago, moontang said:

What is a COSMETIC TABIEN BAAN?  I got a yellowbook in chiang mai..what a goddamn pain.  Nine trips, total.  GF was actually helpful.  Is a person, who paid for their job, going to be cooperative?  

I’m not sure, but it still won’t get done right.