Feel free to poke holes in this plan - long term stay

I'm a US citizen planning to stay long term in Thailand so the goal is to extend a 90 day non-0 based on retirement.  

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but can't one avoid a lot of headaches and having to purchase insurance if you do the following?

Arrive on a 45 day visa exemption.

Open a bank account by bringing the required documentation such as passport, proof of residency, lease agreement, address, enough money for a deposit, and preferably a Thai speaker.  My fiance is a government teacher which she claims gives her a little bit of pull in these situations.  I'm not as sure.

Transfer money into that bank account (800000 bht).  That transfer needs to show the money came from outside of Thailand 

If I need more time, exit and re-enter on another visa exemption.

Then apply for a non-o 90 day visa to avoid the insurance requirements.

Then after 60 days (?) apply for a one year extension.

Then continue extending into the future.  I've forgotten how many days I should apply for an extension prior to a current extension expiring.  Hopefully someone here can fill in the blank of the matter

Thanks for any help

2 hours ago, Slosheroni said:

Open a bank account by bringing the required documentation such as passport, proof of residency, lease agreement, address, enough money for a deposit, and preferably a Thai speaker.

Depending on the location it can be very difficult to open a bank account on visa exempt or tourist visa. They'll want to see a long-stay visa or work permit.

Some members of this forum have said that they were able to open an account by "shopping around", ie schlepping around town until they find a willing branch.

Others have reported success by getting a "respected Thai" to write them a letter of invitation.

Getting a residence certificate from US Embassy is a bit pricey as far as I know (I'm Aussie). so the invitation letter could be cheaper for you (but you'll owe fiancé a favour lol).

Or you can use an agent to open the bank account. Prices range from B3,700 to B5,000 depending on location.

59 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Depending on the location it can be very difficult to open a bank account on visa exempt or tourist visa. They'll want to see a long-stay visa or work permit.

Some members of this forum have said that they were able to open an account by "shopping around", ie schlepping around town until they find a willing branch.

Others have reported success by getting a "respected Thai" to write them a letter of invitation.

Getting a residence certificate from US Embassy is a bit pricey as far as I know (I'm Aussie). so the invitation letter could be cheaper for you (but you'll owe fiancé a favour lol).

Or you can use an agent to open the bank account. Prices range from B3,700 to B5,000 depending on location.

I think now, after your advice from the other thread, that it's probably best to apply for a 90 non-o evisa from the US.  Then extend it in Thailand after that for my long term stay goals.

Two issues I just ran into.  One is I'm not sure the evisa system issues 90 day non-o's.  I briefly went to their website and when selecting "over 50 based on retirement" the system takes me to a page talking about visiting family.  Nothing about retirees  Then when trying to find the document requirements "over 50 based on retirement" is grayed out.  Meaning you cannot open a link with information on the documents required.   I haven't set up an account yet.  Maybe after I do that I'll find my way and information in the application process.   I noticed in another thread that people from the U.K have been able to do apply for a non-o evisa.  Since the evisa website seems to be centralized through Bangkok I'm guessing I can apply online for a non-o 90 day visa.

The other issue is back to the banking.  Does anyone know how long one typically needs to be in Thailand before you can open an account with a non-o? And also how long those funds need to be in the bank before applying for the first non-o, one year extension for retirement?  With only a 90 day visa, if the funds need to be sitting for 60 days prior applying for an extension, that only leaves 30 days in country to get an account opened.  If there's a waiting period to open an account I'm wondering if I need to see about a multiple entry visa if that animal exists 

22 minutes ago, Slosheroni said:

The other issue is back to the banking.  Does anyone know how long one typically needs to be in Thailand before you can open an account with a non-o?

Most of your first post is correct.

Best to obtain the 12 month extension at least couple of weeks prior to expiry of the 90 day stamp you receive for the non O.

When applying for the non O you need 15+ days remaining on your permit. 21days at CM.

Where do you plan to live? 

You can arrive visa exempt and it is 45 days currently till March 31.

You can obtain 30 day extension at immigration.

No need to exit Thailand.

Depending where you obtain your residence certificate that would be an issue at Bangkok.

They require you to be doing 90 day reports.

Even then the residence certificate can take up to 2 weeks (normally 1).

Not all embassies provide letter to satisfy bank (Oz being one) 

Even then it can take time for others.

Best to use an agent for the bank account and do the rest yourself.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Best to obtain the 12 month extension at least couple of weeks prior to expiry of the 90 day stamp you receive for the non O.

When applying for the non O you need 15+ days remaining on your permit. 21days at CM.

Depending where you obtain your residence certificate that would be an issue at Bangkok.

OP mentioned in another thread that the he will be in Sisaket. I was trying to help out as best I can with all the various visa options. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1278286-wont-get-questioned-at-dmk-or-suv-airport/?do=findComment&comment=17738553

57 minutes ago, Slosheroni said:

I think now, after your advice from the other thread, that it's probably best to apply for a 90 non-o evisa from the US.  Then extend it in Thailand after that for my long term stay goals.

Two issues I just ran into.  One is I'm not sure the evisa system issues 90 day non-o's.  I briefly went to their website and when selecting "over 50 based on retirement" the system takes me to a page talking about visiting family.  Nothing about retirees  Then when trying to find the document requirements "over 50 based on retirement" is grayed out.  Meaning you cannot open a link with information on the documents required.   I haven't set up an account yet.  Maybe after I do that I'll find my way and information in the application process.   I noticed in another thread that people from the U.K have been able to do apply for a non-o evisa.  Since the evisa website seems to be centralized through Bangkok I'm guessing I can apply online for a non-o 90 day visa.

The other issue is back to the banking.  Does anyone know how long one typically needs to be in Thailand before you can open an account with a non-o? And also how long those funds need to be in the bank before applying for the first non-o, one year extension for retirement?  With only a 90 day visa, if the funds need to be sitting for 60 days prior applying for an extension, that only leaves 30 days in country to get an account opened.  If there's a waiting period to open an account I'm wondering if I need to see about a multiple entry visa if that animal exists

The bank will open the account same day if you meet their requirements as stipulated by the individual branch. 

The e-visa website is hosted by MFA in Bangkok but your application will be handled by one of the US consulates. 

Best to create an account, log in and then you'll see the available options for visa types and who will handle the application. I just made a dummy account and can see there are four to choose from: Chi-town, DC, LA & NYC.

I can't go any further than that because on next screen they want passport details. 

Funny you should mention the UK because in another thread (see below) member SunsetT says that despite London Embassy website stating that insurance is required for non-O, in practice it's not required and you just upload a blank document or something. 

Maybe it will be the same in the US? Maybe send DC an email to confirm if it's actually required or not (I heard LA suck). Depending on the urgency of course, you haven't mentioned how keen you are to get back over here ????

https://aseannow.com/topic/1277848-io-demands-a-12-month-statement-from-1st-time-retirement-extension-from-an-o-visa-right-or-wrong/page/2/#comment-17728541

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

The bank will open the account same day if you meet their requirements as stipulated by the individual branch. 

The e-visa website is hosted by MFA in Bangkok but your application will be handled by one of the US consulates. 

Best to create an account, log in and then you'll see the available options for visa types and who will handle the application. I just made a dummy account and can see there are four to choose from: Chi-town, DC, LA & NYC.

I can't go any further than that because on next screen they want passport details. 

Funny you should mention the UK because in another thread (see below) member SunsetT says that despite London Embassy website stating that insurance is required for non-O, in practice it's not required and you just upload a blank document or something. 

Maybe it will be the same in the US? Maybe send DC an email to confirm if it's actually required or not (I heard LA suck). Depending on the urgency of course, you haven't mentioned how keen you are to get back over here ????

https://aseannow.com/topic/1277848-io-demands-a-12-month-statement-from-1st-time-retirement-extension-from-an-o-visa-right-or-wrong/page/2/#comment-17728541

Thanks for all your help.   I was just looking at this thread when your reply came in. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1277873-brit-travelling-to-thailand-for-around-90-days/

I have time to get this done.  I'm just trying to get everything figured out now.  I'm trying to tell myself not to go too far down the rabbit hole because in a month everything will probably change.  It's really mind numbing after awhile.   Depending on how work is going it could be anywhere from April to September before I make the move.   So still a ways off. 

I'm going to have to dig into the e-visa site and see my options.  I'm now wondering if the best bet might be to see if the 60 day, multiple entry tourist visa is still available.  It's listed on the LA website but who knows?  I'll be close to the border so no problem leaving and entering.  That would give me 120 days to get everything in order.  Although this will involve one more step in getting my one year extension by having to get a non-o in Thailand. 

Yeah I've heard LA is pretty shoddy.  That's a big reason why I was trying to avoid it by doing the visa waiver route.  Just looking through the two websites, I can see the DC consulate is far better but I'm in the LA jurisdiction.  An email to DC can't hurt though. 

1 hour ago, Slosheroni said:

Thanks for all your help.   I was just looking at this thread when your reply came in. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1277873-brit-travelling-to-thailand-for-around-90-days/

I have time to get this done.  I'm just trying to get everything figured out now.  I'm trying to tell myself not to go too far down the rabbit hole because in a month everything will probably change.  It's really mind numbing after awhile.   Depending on how work is going it could be anywhere from April to September before I make the move.   So still a ways off. 

I'm going to have to dig into the e-visa site and see my options.  I'm now wondering if the best bet might be to see if the 60 day, multiple entry tourist visa is still available.  It's listed on the LA website but who knows?  I'll be close to the border so no problem leaving and entering.  That would give me 120 days to get everything in order.  Although this will involve one more step in getting my one year extension by having to get a non-o in Thailand. 

Yeah I've heard LA is pretty shoddy.  That's a big reason why I was trying to avoid it by doing the visa waiver route.  Just looking through the two websites, I can see the DC consulate is far better but I'm in the LA jurisdiction.  An email to DC can't hurt though. 

The embassy may be shoddy (no problems with LA embassy so far for me) but it’s nothing compared to a shoddy agent in Thailand.

If it were me I would get an O-A from the LA embassy and be good for two years. You would need the insurance, and a clean physical and criminal check though, not sure if your already covered. Big plus is that you don’t need to move funds or have a Thai bank account. Depends if you have a mailing address in the States and would return every two years. You have more control of the situation because your not pressured by dates and stuff expiring.

Anything in the states secured beforehand is easier than dealing with stuff in Thailand after arriving, in my opinion. You’re going to have everything you need, not bopping around town looking for a “reputable agent”, or trying to convince some bank clerk that they deserve your business. Like the saying goes “if you want it done right, do it yourself” has worked great for me so far.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thanks 1

Did this 2019 by coming here on tourist visa and then had to change to retirement. I used an agent in Chiangmai. But the thing I would highly suggest is before starting this, renew your passport. I had about 5 yrs left on mine but went ahead and renewed right before we departed USA.. The US Gov doesn't care if you renew before it expires..Aside from all you will need to do, its nice to know you got 10 years before screwing with passport issues... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

If his girlfriend is a government worker, she can bring him to her bank and he should get an account. No Need for an agent.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Slosheroni said:

The other issue is back to the banking.  Does anyone know how long one typically needs to be in Thailand before you can open an account with a non-o?

You need to open the bank account fairly quickly to season the funds before making the extension application. You shouldn't have a problem opening the account if you make it clear you need it to extend the visa. In order to do that you need to use a bank that is familiar with immigration procedures.

I would advise you avoid TTB. I was with TMB and a few years ago had managed to establish with my branch what was required for immigration. When I went recently the staff had all changed following the merger and they didn't have a clue. Speaking Thai doesn't help, my wife had to have a heated conversation with the manager before she reluctantly phoned head office, who appeared to put her straight on what to do for immigration. Bear in mind you will need to go to the bank again prior to your extension so choose a bank with a branch convenient to your immigration office.

Regarding the E-visa, you need to be careful with text from the embassy, may not be up to date. There is no insurance requirement for a Non O, there was a pop-up on the E-visa website to say in came to an end in July. The pop-ups are dynamic and I think the one in question has now dropped off the bottom of the page.

I did my E-visa a couple of months ago and now under consideration for marriage extension.

• Thanks 1

I once moved from multiple entry tourist visa (no longer available) to the Non-O for retirement while in Thailand.  I did it myself at local immigration office. I can't remember what documentation was required.

I had more than 800K in the bank (while on the tourist visa).

So it can be done...or at least it could be in the past.

Best to go in and visit the office where you want to change visas and get them to write down exactly what you need and any important timing.  Different offices often have varying requirements.

Edited by Adumbration
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

OP mentioned in another thread that the he will be in Sisaket. I was trying to help out as best I can with all the various visa options. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1278286-wont-get-questioned-at-dmk-or-suv-airport/?do=findComment&comment=17738553

Sisaket is a very friendly  and helpsome Immigration office.

• Thanks 2