Brit Travelling to Thailand for around 90 days

Hi there.

I am a Brit, of retirement age, travelling with my partner, also retired. We would like to travel from UK to Thailand, to stay, for a holiday, around 90 days.

In the past, we have visited the Thai Embassy in Hull to secure the relevant visas, before travel, but it has been suggested this is no longer necessary, and can be done on travel?

Obviously that would be fantastic, but seems rather good to be true.

What are our options these days?

You could obtain a tourist visa plus obtain an extension inside Thailand. That would give 60+30 days.

You could enter visa exempt that gives 45 days.

Take a trip out of Thailand and back for a second visa exempt entry either via air or land for another 45 days. Total 90 days.

Added note: if wanting a longer stay the visa exempt entries can each be extended by 30 days. 

Edit: just realized you are both over 50.

You could obtain a non O retirement that would give a 90 day stamp upon entry. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

@DrJack54 - You mention the Non O Retirement visa, for 90 days.  Can that be achieved on entry to Thailand, so does it involve a trip to an Embassy?

So, 45 days, visa exempt, then extend.  Is that extension automatically granted?  Obviously, our plan would be to book flights for the length of stay we would prefer.  Would there be an issue travelling in on a ticket with the return leg on a date later than the visa exempt status would allow?

The Embassy trips are OK, but if not required, why would anyone?  That said, I think deportation is less palatable than a schlep to the Thai Consulate at Hull.

Edited by Maud
Edited to add additional queries.

15 minutes ago, Maud said:

@DrJack54 - You mention the Non O Retirement visa, for 90 days.  Can that be achieved on entry to Thailand, so does it involve a trip to an Embassy?

So, 45 days, visa exempt, then extend.  Is that extension automatically granted?  Obviously, our plan would be to book flights for the length of stay we would prefer.  Would there be an issue travelling in on a ticket with the return leg on a date later than the visa exempt status would allow?

The Embassy trips are OK, but if not required, why would anyone?  That said, I think deportation is less palatable than a schlep to the Thai Consulate at Hull.

15 minutes ago, Maud said:

What I mentioned was a non O based on retirement obtained in UK. 

That would provide a 90 day stamp upon entry.

Some folk have found that process messy. 

With  visa exempt entry that would be granted however the extension is for 30 days. Total 75days.

In order to obtain total of 90 days you would need to exit Thailand and reenter with another 45 days visa exempt entry.

Entries via air without a visa the airline may require onward flight within 30/45 days. 

Some options to satisfy that are discussed in many threads.

One option is to use companies such as "onward flight.com" 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You could obtain a tourist visa plus obtain an extension inside Thailand. That would give 60+30 days.

You could enter visa exempt that gives 45 days.

Take a trip out of Thailand and back for a second visa exempt entry either via air or land for another 45 days. Total 90 days.

Added note: if wanting a longer stay the visa exempt entries can each be extended by 30 days. 

Edit: just realized you are both over 50.

You could obtain a non O retirement that would give a 90 day stamp upon entry. 

I can't find any reference to a non O retirement visa on the official website, and whilst Tourist Visas are valid for 3 or 6 months, they only allow entry for 60 days?

Bewildered of Back of Beyond

22 minutes ago, Maud said:

I can't find any reference to a non O retirement visa on the official website, and whilst Tourist Visas are valid for 3 or 6 months, they only allow entry for 60 days?

Bewildered of Back of Beyond

It will be there.

Not sure but I think the non O retirement still requires 90 day insurance. 

Even if it does not ....it would not be my first choice. 

The non O gives max 90 day stay.

Cannot obtain 30 day extension.

You need to exit prior to expiry.

That already eats into your 90 day visit. 

Everyone will have their own receipt that suits them.

Personally...I would choose visa exempt entry and prior to 45 expiry take trip to Saigon.

Cheap flights and UK visa exempt.

Few days there and return visa exempt OR border bounce.

Up To You. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

It is there, keep looking....

image.png.3f4c73ecaa23174bf8730df0a48d5655.png

But, when I "View Detail" I can't see the element that applies to us, and therefor the documentation we must supply?

(I see what you mean about a day out in Hull,............................ except it has closed permanently?   <sigh> )

3 minutes ago, Maud said:

But, when I "View Detail" I can't see the element that applies to us, and therefor the documentation we must supply?

(I see what you mean about a day out in Hull,............................ except it has closed permanently?   <sigh> )

Exactly.  You will have to start an application and see what they ask for.  But the Embassy website has the following information;

• Non-Immigrant Type (Retirement (pensioner aged 50 or above with a state pension who wants to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days) - single entry only)
  • Financial evidence e.g. A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000
  • Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland. Copy of health insurance that covers COVID-19 related medical expenses, both inpatient and outpatient, no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand.

6 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Exactly.  You will have to start an application and see what they ask for.  But the Embassy website has the following information;

• Non-Immigrant Type (Retirement (pensioner aged 50 or above with a state pension who wants to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days) - single entry only)
  • Financial evidence e.g. A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000
  • Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland. Copy of health insurance that covers COVID-19 related medical expenses, both inpatient and outpatient, no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand.

You star.  Thanks!

(On a pedantic note, I understand the requirement for specific Covid insurance is no longer valid?)

Just now, Maud said:

You star.  Thanks!

(On a pedantic note, I understand the requirement for specific Covid insurance is no longer valid?)

No it's a general health insurance requirement, specific covid coverage is not required.  

But as others have pointed out getting either the 45-day exempt entry or 60-day tourist visa is much easier to get.  Neither require any insurance requirement at all.  Each can be extended for 30 days with a pro-forma application at your local immigration office (cost 1,900 baht).  Or you can do a trip to neighboring country by air and come back in on a visa-exempt for another 45 days.

I honestly wouldn't mess with the Non-O because of the insurance, but to each his own.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skatewash said:

I honestly wouldn't mess with the Non-O because of the insurance, but to each his own.

As far as the visa is concerned agree, but at the same time I wouldn't mess with a 90 day holiday in Thailand without some half decent health insurance cover.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

As far as the visa is concerned agree, but at the same time I wouldn't mess with a 90 day holiday in Thailand without some half decent health insurance cover.

Yes, there's the mandatory insurance requirement that satisfies Thai Immigration which I would avoid, and then there's the health, accident, and perhaps travel insurance that you may want to satisfy your own requirements.  Insurance is not a bad idea.  Jumping through unnecessary mandatory insurance hoops imposed by Thai immigration in a one size fits all basis is a bad idea.  Just my opinion, of course.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Upnotover said:

You may find that the process is far less pleasurable than a trip to Hull

Have you ever been to Hull ? I used to go there for weekends out with my brothers who were  miners around Selby - it was basically a boxing match weekend ????

Best place was/is Mark in Gibraltar, you could pop into his house on the main street and be out in 5 mins with a new visa.

To the OP, we just looked at travel insurance as we're travelling this weekend for 90 days. Staysure were good but their prices seem to have gone up considerably for > 30 days( they now bundle Thailand with USA at the highest rate ). Virgin Travel Insurance are doing good offers for annual insurance, with one leg up to 100 days.

6 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

Have you ever been to Hull ? I used to go there for weekends out with my brothers who were  miners around Selby - it was basically a boxing match weekend ????

Best place was/is Mark in Gibraltar, you could pop into his house on the main street and be out in 5 mins with a new visa.

To the OP, we just looked at travel insurance as we're travelling this weekend for 90 days. Staysure were good but their prices seem to have gone up considerably for > 30 days( they now bundle Thailand with USA at the highest rate ). Virgin Travel Insurance are doing good offers for annual insurance, with one leg up to 100 days.

The thread is about options for 90 day visit to Thailand.

Mandatory insurance came up as requirement for non O retirement.

Travel insurance completely separate issue.

Also application for non O would be eVisa online not Hull. 

11 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

I've been to the Consulate twice and for other reasons several times.  It wouldn't be my top choice to live there, but I'm also sure there are worse places.

Gib sounds a bit like the gift shop in Guadeloupe where effectively you do your own visa and the gift shop owner just stamps your passport.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

The thread is about options for 90 day visit to Thailand.

Mandatory insurance came up as requirement for non O retirement.

Travel insurance completely separate issue.

Also application for non O would be eVisa online not Hull. 

Please give it a rest  - you don't own threads, even though you think you do .

It's a forum for general comment. He's over for 90 days so travel insurance is what he'll require.

Why would he go for a retirement visa for a 90 day holiday ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

Why would he go for a retirement visa for a 90 day holiday ?

Read all my posts 

I recommended against that option and outlined alternatives. 

Some folk have opted for a non O based on retirement for a 90 day stay. (It's not a retirement visa). So it's certainly an option some choose. 

It avoids any contact with immigration after arrival for extension. 

As for any insurance you state.....

"He's over for 90 days so travel insurance is what he'll require."

It's not a requirement. It's personal choice. Nothing to do with visa options and visa exempt entry. 

Edited by DrJack54

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Some folk have opted for a non O based on retirement for a 90 day stay. (It's not a retirement visa). So it's certainly an option some choose. 

With what is entailed for up to 90 days you believe this is the best option.

I'm glad we have experts...

I'd give it in if I was you ... No more from me.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

With what is entailed for up to 90 days you believe this is the best option.

Read my posts. This is early on ...

"Not sure but I think the non O retirement still requires 90 day insurance. 

Even if it does not ....it would not be my first choice."...

Apart from that I suggested better options. 

Back to back visa exempt.

Tourist visa + extension. 

Border run or flight to eg Saigon. 

Read the thread. 

Edited by DrJack54

Just to help clarify the insurance requirement for a Non Imm O 90 day Single entry from the UK...there is no compulsory insurance requirement.

Where the E-visa system asks you to upload this you can either upload a copy of whatever insurance you have got (all my schedule showed was basic details of my name, policy number and dates of insurance cover) or upload a copy of a piece of paper with ' Not required for this Visa' written on it.

Even though the Embassy website states insurance requirements, this is out of date.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Roy111 said:

Even though the Embassy website states insurance requirements, this is out of date.

Not according to the Embassy.
You need to supply an Insurance policy covering $100,000 for the Non O application.
It doesn't have to be a TGIA policy, any travel policy will suffice.

2 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Not according to the Embassy.
You need to supply an Insurance policy covering $100,000 for the Non O application.
It doesn't have to be a TGIA policy, any travel policy will suffice.

Roy is correct, I've just landed recently on a 90 day non o and no insurance is needed for that visa , just upload a piece of paper with not needed for this visa, a day later I had my e-visa.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1