IO demands a 12 month statement from 1st time retirement extension from an O visa - right or wrong ?

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes, BKK Bank here state 3 working days, I have in the past ordered a 12 statement on Tuesday am and they called me Friday to say it’s ready with enough time to do the extension that day.

I usually order my statement 2 or 3 weeks ahead as the IO wants it on the same day as the application.

I guess it boils down to me thinking that i knew the requirements for extension of this O visa and omitting to visit the office yesterday to get the confirmed requirements.

I would have still been annoyed at the request for a 12 month statement but could have visited the BKK Bank ( literally 100 metres away ) ordered said statement and be done by Thursday.

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

So have I , and they always request a 12 month statement from me , you must be special .....

regards worgeordie

CM Never asked me for statement (800,000 in fixed account). I was asked once to show my old book since the book was less than a year old. 

11 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

When initially planned incorporating a visit to my home country with an opportunity to lose the OA extension back in March 2020 I planned to get an O visa from a Thai consulate ( Hull ) .

Of course Covid19 hit and the consulate closed so my trip was abandoned.

When I finally decided I should make another attempt to lose the OA extension, May 2022 , the U.K. consulates were still closed and the alternative of obtaining an O visa from Thai Embassy was being reported as being complicated plus health insurance was also required so I chose to go the visa exempt/O visa in house route.

Am not sure if health insurance is still required for an O visa from Thai Embassy in London is still required but visa exempt/O visa in house is simple and costs 2000 baht, with the extension the usual 1,900 baht and no health insurance required.

Unfortunately your consulates were closed. I left on an OA extension to kill it off as well, returned 3 months later with a 90 day Non O from home Embassy using my existing health insurance to cover the Non O application E-visa process. For my 1st extension on the Non O, two months bank statement was all that was needed, my previous OA was not mentioned by the IO.  ( Phuket ). Sounds like the Non O  'in house' route can be more of a headache. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

Unfortunately your consulates were closed. I left on an OA extension to kill it off as well, returned 3 months later with a 90 day Non O from home Embassy using my existing health insurance to cover the Non O application E-visa process. For my 1st extension on the Non O, two months bank statement was all that was needed, my previous OA was not mentioned by the IO.  ( Phuket ). Sounds like the Non O  'in house' route can be more of a headache. 

Not sure if “ in house “ O visa is more of a headache or my IO is more of a headache !.

Either way it’s all local so not too much hassle. I have a friend who is following the exact same route as me but 1 week later, he has a few hours round trip to his IO so would be well peeved if it happens to him, but turns out his bank will give a 12 month statement immediately so again not too much hassle.

My choice of IO and bank has given me this result …….oh well , all part of Thailand’s rich tapestry ???? 

• Like 1

Yes Joe that must be the case, I accept that ……. but still don’t agree with it .

555555 or you agree or not, doesn't matter. You are not the BIG BOSS in a country what is.t yours. In case you want an sxtention you just have to do what IO is asking you. We all know your problem: you used an agent .... what reason? Don.t make me writing it here, you know very well why.

They just want to check you fullfil the rquirements before ans you cannot give that proof because you didn't. Use and pay an agent again, you know the 'advantages' very well.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, hakancnx said:

I have never, during my 8 years, been told to show a 12 months statement here in Chiang Mai.

I have the 800.000 in a separate fixed deposit account. 

I too have the 880k in a separate account up here in Chiangmai.  When I got my annual extension last December (based on retirement and funds in the bank) here in CM, I was required to provide the standard materials and the 12-month statement (which, thankfully, SCB provided on the spot).  That was the first time ever that a full-year statement was required and I'm expecting the same requirement when I obtain the next extension in a few weeks.

Mr. Dwyer obviously has a point in his original post.  For somebody who's never been in Thailand before, never had a prior bank account here, came in either with a tourist visa or visa exempt, and who then converted to a Non-O, it would be impossible for them to show a full years' bank statement. Either the IO he used got it wrong or somehow saw the OP's visa/extension history merited the request for a full year's bank statement. 

14 hours ago, skatewash said:

Unless something goes wrong and then it can become a nightmare.  If their passport is lost, or it takes much longer than promised, I doubt those people think the process was "simple."

Why would someone give their valuable passport to someone for weeks who very possibly mails it out to some other province in Thailand, when they can hang on to their own passport and get an immediate decision on getting their extension in person at the immigration office?  For 1,900 baht.

You haven't use an agent obviously as you comments in your post are wrong. My agent had my passport for 2 days, not weeks. 

The cost is worth it as it saves being stuffed around by immigration, that I've put up with for over 40 years, and have had enough.

As you were and continue on with what you do for extensions

27 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

You haven't use an agent obviously as you comments in your post are wrong. My agent had my passport for 2 days, not weeks. 

The cost is worth it as it saves being stuffed around by immigration, that I've put up with for over 40 years, and have had enough.

As you were and continue on with what you do for extensions

I friend of mine used an agent in Phuket because he'd heard it was the "smart" thing to do.  He didn't get his passport back for over 100 days, during which time he went on overstay.  Turns out his passport was sent to some immigration office in isaan and there was a problem with the "friendly" immigration agents in that office as they had been transferred to another office.  It took some time for "friendly" immigration officers to get back into business at that immigration office.

If you are using an agent to circumvent immigration rules it's you who should be worried.  I get my retirement extension from immigration myself for which I pay 1,900 baht.  

A related story:

https://www.thephuketnews.com/expats-caught-up-in-phuket-visa-scams-face-being-forced-to-leave-the-country-84812.php

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, skatewash said:

I friend of mine used an agent in Phuket because he'd heard it was the "smart" thing to do.  He didn't get his passport back for over 100 days, during which time he went on overstay.  Turns out his passport was sent to some immigration office in isaan and there was a problem with the "friendly" immigration agents in that office as they had been transferred to another office.  It took some time for "friendly" immigration officers to get back into business at that immigration office.

If you are using an agent to circumvent immigration rules it's you who should be worried.  I get my retirement extension from immigration myself for which I pay 1,900 baht.  

A related story:

https://www.thephuketnews.com/expats-caught-up-in-phuket-visa-scams-face-being-forced-to-leave-the-country-84812.php

Thanks for your advice.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Am not sure if health insurance is still required for an O visa from Thai Embassy in London is still required

No it is not required for a 90 day O visa nor a 1 year multiple entry O visa....unless the requirement has been changed since Aug/Sept 22

Edited by SunsetT
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

No it is not required for a 90 day O visa nor a 1 year multiple entry O visa....unless the requirement has been changed since Aug/Sept 22

The embassy website still states it is required.

image.png.7a4d2a86debafa6399aae6eecdc26fb4.png

Source: https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

Page is dated as 31 August 2022.

16 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Am not sure if health insurance is still required for an O visa from Thai Embassy in London is still required but visa exempt/O visa in house is simple and costs 2000 baht, with the extension the usual 1,900 baht and no health insurance required.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, easydoor said:

Yes Joe that must be the case, I accept that ……. but still don’t agree with it .

555555 or you agree or not, doesn't matter. You are not the BIG BOSS in a country what is.t yours. In case you want an sxtention you just have to do what IO is asking you. We all know your problem: you used an agent .... what reason? Don.t make me writing it here, you know very well why.

They just want to check you fullfil the rquirements before ans you cannot give that proof because you didn't. Use and pay an agent again, you know the 'advantages' very well.

Who used an agent ??

Better read again .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CMBob said:

Mr. Dwyer obviously has a point in his original post.  For somebody who's never been in Thailand before, never had a prior bank account here, came in either with a tourist visa or visa exempt, and who then converted to a Non-O, it would be impossible for them to show a full years' bank statement. Either the IO he used got it wrong or somehow saw the OP's visa/extension history merited the request for a full year's bank statement. 

Agree Bob, a friend of a friend arrived Hua Hin visa exempt opened a bank account, applied for an O visa and obtained an extension with a 3 month bank statement.

My history of retirement extensions must have spurred the IO into requesting a 12 month statement for the reasons stated previously, maybe wouldn’t have happened in a different Immigration Office but c’est la vie .

21 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

That is what I was expecting, to prove that the 800k was in my bank for 2 months prior by using bank book only, I got the 3 month statement as I was already in the bank, never expected a 12 months statement request.

If you have a 12 month history with you bank why dont you just get a statement and give it to the IO. Their greatest interest is the 800k/400k in the bank for the required period. 

17 hours ago, piston broke said:

Use an agent !

Simples .....

Its because of the simples that we now have to show a 12 month statement designed to slow the rampant corruption between IO's and visa agents so thanks for that. But at least you know your limitations. If you can't come up with the 800,000 then you need to rethink your life choices

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, kennw said:

If you have a 12 month history with you bank why dont you just get a statement and give it to the IO. Their greatest interest is the 800k/400k in the bank for the required period. 

Did you read any of the topic ?

The question was should I have to justify my previous extension when it became null and void and I started again with a new non imm visa.

The answer being yes, at least for Ayutthaya immigration, and I have already ordered a 12 month statement to comply with their request.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The embassy website still states it is required.

image.png.7a4d2a86debafa6399aae6eecdc26fb4.png

Source: https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

Page is dated as 31 August 2022.

As  I've posted several times before on here Joe, you cannot rely on the info. on the London embassy website. The website is a mess because, with typical Thai efficiency, they seem to add new requirements without removing the old requirements. The only way to get accurate up to date visa info. is to email them;  [email protected], and they do reply quite quickly these days.

I have assisted a couple of friends to get this visa through the dreaded Thai evisa website this summer in the UK and  one friend has just arrived in Thailand 14/11 using the 1 year ME O visa. I just checked with him and he obtained it on 10/10. So I know that there is no insurance requirement at the moment. But, again, I advise anyone applying for any visa from the UK to email them to double check the requirements before applying.

Also for anyone applying for a visa and being asked by the evisa website to upload irrelevant documents or documents no longer required, such as insurance, you just need to upload a blank sheet of paper with N/A written on it.

Edited by SunsetT
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1