Koh Lanta infos

garrya

Hi there,

I was thinking about spending a couple nights somewhere near the beach.

Was wondering if Lanta has come back to life.

Are there any tourists? Is there any noticeable nightlife?

To be frank, I'll only need a hotel with breakfast and swimming pool, and some sort of nightlife. Pubs with pool table, live music or some pumping music for "after party"?

If no life down there, I may just head to Ao Nang.

Thanks

46 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Never seen a proper pub there. Had a Reggae Bar. Its 80% muslim.

Beaches are good so dont need a pool.

Ao Nang has crappy nightlife go there.

Ao Nang is dead! Better go to Koh Phangan for parties.

17 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

With 25 to 35yo farangs? 

Always a beach party, and everyone is welcome. Also live music bars as pubs who had elderly clients. The good thing, the beach parties started early, so nice just to sit and observe and enjoy. 

What kind of party did he have in mind? The beach parties included everyone. 

Just now, Hummin said:

Always a beach party, and everyone is welcome. Also live music bars as pubs who had elderly clients. The good thing, the beach parties started early, so nice just to sit and observe and enjoy. 

What kind of party did he have in mind? The beach parties included everyone. 

Looked like 19 to 35yos to me. 99% farangs.

Going to toilet in ocean or on sand. Doing drugs. I guess now pot is legal these parties may boom again.

42 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Looked like 19 to 35yos to me. 99% farangs.

Going to toilet in ocean or on sand. Doing drugs. I guess now pot is legal these parties may boom again.

What kind of parties do you prefer? Thai parties with to high  Isan music and drinking Sang some and coke? Or Lao Kao? 

I do not party myself anymore, Im more an observer, and enjoy hanging out for a few hours only. Age wise it was younger as older, and often a small marked, bbques and drinks served by the bars and restaurants. Did not observe anyone going to toilet in sand or the ocean. 

Edited by Hummin

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

What kind of parties do you prefer? Thai parties with to high music and Isan music drinking Sang some and coke? Or Lao Kao? 

I do not party myself any,ore, Im more an observer, and enjoy hanging out for a few hours only. Age wise it was younger as older, and often a small marked, bbques and drinks served by the bars and restaurants. Did not observe anyone going to toilet in sand or the ocean. 

Sangsom and Isaan music is fine. Any of that on kpn?

6 minutes ago, garrya said:

Not bad. Thai country music and Hong are great too 

You will not find more of those parties in Ao Nang, maybe at a corner outside of a massage shop or so ????

or any motobike taxi drivers corner. 

7 minutes ago, Hummin said:

You will not find more of those parties in Ao Nang, maybe at a corner outside of a massage shop or so ????

or any motobike taxi drivers corner. 

There is a great place in Ao Nang.

Love it

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, garrya said:

There is a great place in Ao Nang.

Love it

I missed that one last time I visited. Kind of food and carabao saloon? They can be fun, but long time since last I visited a place like that now. Before I did visit more festivals, but Im kind of lazy and to comfortabel these days to enjoy local culture anymore. 

Edited by Hummin

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I missed that one last time I visited. Kind of food and carabao saloon? They can be fun, but long time since last I visited a place like that now. Before I did visit more festivals, but Im kind of lazy and to comfortabel these days to enjoy local culture anymore. 

Krabi is great. Lots to do.

6 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Krabi is great. Lots to do.

I did live there for awhile, and yes great place and lots to do as you say. Kayaking, climbing, diving, freediving, hiking and so many great hideaways you can visit as well touring with motorbike. The best was to visit during covid an not one longtail of speed boat buzzing by every two minute anymore. 

Edited by Hummin

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

It depends on what people like. 

There's a great little soi ????

3 minutes ago, Troy Tempest said:

Well unless your name is Jesus Christ or Michael Phelps you will have difficulty in getting to Koh Lanta without a ferry!

I was to ask how is Phi Phi and Koh Lipe these days, but that requires ferry or boat as well. 

1 hour ago, Troy Tempest said:

Well unless your name is Jesus Christ or Michael Phelps you will have difficulty in getting to Koh Lanta without a ferry!

Ok, let me rephrase.

Don't feel like floating on rough seas for hours. 

Lanta is a very short ferry ride and it isn't on the open sea.

I hope this gives a clear answer.  

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, garrya said:

We almost sank on the way to Lipe a few years ago. Scary experience it was. 

We had the same experience back in January 2017, and Im used to alot of weather and rough sea. 

Edited by Hummin

6 hours ago, garrya said:

We almost sank on the way to Lipe a few years ago. Scary experience it was. 

It all adds to the excitement of island travel in Thailand!

But, joking apart I get why people don't like using Thai Ferries.

I live on Samui and regularly travelled on the Raja Ferries including Raja 4 before it sank.....What a "Rust-Bucket"...I was always on edge even in the calm waters of the Gulf when travelling on the Raja Fleet, particularly when I tried to find Life Jackets and when I did saw what a state they were in!

image.jpeg.8f41df9d9410654c18bac065a78289dd.jpeg

I was a diver in the North Sea (UK) based on ships in the 1970s - 80s where the seas were Humongous.

image.jpeg.17be8df3405e85fbb951cddb8bb750bf.jpeg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3440475/Want-feel-sea-sick-Stomach-lurching-video-shows-EXACTLY-like-board-ship-caught-devastating-storm-North-Sea.html

From time to time it got scary, but I was always nervous when travelling on Raja Ferries.

Now I only use Seatran if I am taking the Car.....Otherwise I fly everywhere! :thumbsup:

Edited by Troy Tempest
  • Thumbs Up 2