Paranoia

Neeranam

17 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

So you get paranoid if you smoke too much?

No, but it affects different people differently. For me, I no longer desire to be a vegetable after smoking a bunch of the current 20%+ thc content weed. Growing up in the 60s/70s when it was 2% or so produced a much more functional high. I achieve the same by smoking a very small amount of the latest 20%. Better on my lungs too as the smoke intake is significantly less.

• Like 2

https://aseannow.com/topic/1276182-non-paranoid-train-of-cannabis/

33 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

How do you deal with paranoia after smoking ganja?

Never had that paranoid reaction, but it does seem like some do. Could be your brain chemistry? Could be latent pychological issues/trauma?

You only feel paranoid when you smoke ganja?

How often do you smoke? Which strains are you smoking? Why are you smoking if it makes you feel paranoid?

I guess the obvious solution is to stop smoking?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1276182-non-paranoid-train-of-cannabis/

Never had that paranoid reaction, but it does seem like some do. Could be your brain chemistry? Could be latent pychological issues/trauma?

You only feel paranoid when you smoke ganja?

How often do you smoke? Which strains are you smoking? Why are you smoking if it makes you feel paranoid?

I guess the obvious solution is to stop smoking?

I actually did stop smoking it because of said reasons in 1998. 

I'm wondering if those feelings are common and of they might have gone away. 

I only get paranoid if coming off other drugs/drink. 

• Love It 1

18 hours ago, Neeranam said:

In my experience, people who have this reaction tend to continue to have it, unless their non-smoking circumstances change.  By which I mean, if you end up sorting out the basis for the paranoia, then you probably won't experience it at the same level, or at all, when you're consuming ganja.  For example, I had a lot of fears when I was younger, which, ironically, I treated by being more or less wasted all the time.  After I got sober in '98, I went through a bunch of stuff that resulted in me sorting out those fears.  So, now I never have that reaction anymore.  My guess is that you could do the same with the paranoia.  For me, once I really understand a feeling, and have addressed the underlying causes, I can choose not to empower that feeling anymore, and it gradually diminishes to a point of irrelevance.  

Anyway, just my experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Maybe those kind of stimulants is not for you, and just have to accept it. Stimulants and medicine works different on people and are incombination with mood dissorders, genes and enzyms can give people different experiences with the very same drugs and doses. Important to know if medicine such as anti deprissiva, sleeping pills etc does not have the effect you wish. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/22/2022 at 9:33 AM, oldscool said:

About paranoia, it’s always been part of marijuana culture

Wow. Maybe for you, not for most I know. Could be down to where you grew up, resided before you arrived here.

1.  In the bad old days smokers were busted, raided, stopped in the streets, incarcerated, fined, criminalised – hardly conducive to peace of mind;

Again, your experience, not mine. As long as you weren't dealing, never feared from prosecution/persecution.

2. High levels of THC affect the amygdala which plays a critical role in regulating fear-related responses, such as anxiety, stress, and paranoia.

"Affect"? How? Take your time Dr. scool.

Cannabis Targets Receptors in the Amygdala Linked to Anxiety

Marijuana may hijack cannabinoid receptors in the amygdala to reduce anxiety.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/the-athletes-way/201403/cannabis-targets-receptors-in-the-amygdala-linked-anxiety

Cannabinoid Modulation of Amygdala Reactivity to Social Signals of Threat in Humans

The current findings fit well with the notion that THC and other cannabinoids may have an anxiolytic role in central mechanisms of fear behaviors and provide a rationale for exploring novel therapeutic strategies that target the cannabinoid system for disorders of anxiety and social fear.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2657360/

Experienced users who claim never to have encountered it in themselves or their friends in decades of use must have been smoking the wrong stuff.

Perhaps it is YOU who has been smoking the "wrong stuff"?

Edited by bamnutsak

Of course, one of the defining symptoms of low-level paranoia is the need to make ad hominem personal attacks on forums.

There is a very well-established scientifically validated objective link between high levels of THC and a range of psychological problems, from a reduction of up to 10 IQ points in adolescents, through anxiety and depression, to more serious levels of paranoia, to even psychosis. Not to mention general motor function impairment that would render normal activities like car-driving inadvisable.

Apart from the reduction in IQ, none of these is permanent.

Anyone with an open mind can confirm this on google.

Contrary to some beliefs THC is also drug that creates tolerance through repeated use. That's to say the more you use it, the more you need to get high. This by definition places THC in the addictive drug category - though as many here have correctly commented it's not physically addictive like opiates or alcohol.

Does one always get paranoid when smoking? Of course not.

Does one never get paranoid when smoking? Only if you're smoking the wrong stuff or you've damaged your receptors through habitual heavy use.

Have a nice day y'all.

• Haha 1

Some interesting answers here.

As far as I can remember I was some years into smoking before I felt any paranoia, and I think that was with what was said to be "pure THC" liquid.

This must have been about 1975, and I put "pure THC" in quotes because it obviously wasn't pure THC, but we didn't know any better back in those days because it was all on the hush hush, no internet, no liberalisation, no information.

We painted (for want of a better word) this "THC" onto cigarettes. Whatever it was it wasn't an enjoyable high.

At that time hash was much more widely available in my part of the world - Afghani, Pakistani, Lebanese, and I don't think I ever any paranoia on that.

But grass (as we called marijuana back then) was a different story, a different kind of high that seemed to take the top of your head off, not necessarily paranoically, frequently giggly actually.

Great for music which was the field I worked in back then. Hit and miss for sex.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2022 at 12:20 PM, Neeranam said:

Used to get it especially if eating when it's easy to take too much. I ended up at the samaritans once in the 80's, the office was across the road. Never ate it again after that. Cold shower is recommended.

• Thanks 1

On 11/22/2022 at 9:44 AM, Hummin said:

Maybe those kind of stimulants is not for you, and just have to accept it. Stimulants and medicine works different on people and are incombination with mood dissorders, genes and enzyms can give people different experiences with the very same drugs and doses. Important to know if medicine such as anti deprissiva, sleeping pills etc does not have the effect you wish. 

Cannabis isn't a stimulant, it's a hallucinogen.  It's useful to know, for me, especially when it comes to feelings.  I don't really give my feelings all that much shrift when I'm using cannabis, because I know their origins are suspect.   

1 hour ago, HermosaBeachGuy said:

Cannabis isn't a stimulant, it's a hallucinogen.  It's useful to know, for me, especially when it comes to feelings.  I don't really give my feelings all that much shrift when I'm using cannabis, because I know their origins are suspect.   

Cannabis, marihuana, cbd, can be be both, depressant and stimulant!

Dependes on person, dosage, moode, 

I got the same reaction as Neeranam. As a kid someone put temptation in my way and I thought it was really cool for a few years. But it led to a number of personal problems including neglect of studies and some narrow misses with fuzz. Some that I knew were not so lucky and became guests of HMQ for 6 months for what today would be considered trivial confiscation and warning offences. I gave up for a bit to get my studies back on track and get into uni and when I tried it again I got bad paranoia most times with the fear that it would take me back down into the same old black hole from which I might not be so lucky to escape a second time. By the time I got to uni I was someone who just accepted an occasional puff passed round at a party but never sourced it myself and avoided getting involved with the heavy stoner crowd. 

As an adult I hardly indulged at all and never bought any for years and years and certainly never in Thailand, given the stringent penalties.  I went to Amsterdam many years ago and wanted to try, since I had never had a legal smoke.  By then there were already some wicked strains of skunk much stronger than anything that came in when we were kids.  I had one big grass joint in a coffee shop that led to a somewhat paranoid experience because it was just too much for me. I ended up unable to speak or eat or remember where my hotel was. I wandered around for a couple of hours not enjoying at all and nearly being run over by tourists on bicycles several times until it started to wear off and I  could navigate back to my hotel.  Since legalisation in Thailand I have had tried a few times but always careful not to have too much of the new skunk strains. I haven't had any paranoia. 

My conclusion is that paranoia can be caused by too things: your personal circumstances and demons and overdoing it which is easy to do with modern strains or by ingesting it. Probably alcohol would also cause similar paranoia if it didn't have a depressant action. A couple of beers without overdoing it will usually take the edge off the paranoia caused by weed.  Weed is definitely dangerous for kids.  Their brains are not fully developed and it can give them a fake alternative reality that encourages them to take the easy way out and destroy their chances in life, if they get too much too young. It can also lead to paranoia from a small minority may never return.  One guy I knew at uni, who had been a brilliant student, got stranger and stranger in the second year and then disappeared.  Some time later I found out he had developed psychosis and ended up being institutionalised with no expectation of ever being released. Admittedly he had moved on to acid and maybe other substances and possibly had a predisposition to psychosis but there was no doubt that cannabis played a role in the destruction of a young life. 

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...