anyone using faster then 1 gigabyte internet ?

genobkk

The Gigabyte bottleneck has kept me from upgrading to 1.5 gigabytes    I just bought a new Deco X90 mesh to replace my 6 or 7 year old Orbi.    the router has one 2.5 gigabyte port and the other is 1 gig    yea I could take advantage of the combined speeds but I would never see the 1.5 gigabytes in a speed test nor would any single device benefit from it not that any device needs that much speed.     I am assuming my Fiber optical box would need to be replaces as well      WIFI 7 is coming next year but its not going to be cheap.     even with my new x90 having only 2 ports and only one 2.5 gigabyte port  the 1 gigabyte bottleneck will persist  but with its dedicated backhaul that 1.5 gigabyte  or 2 gigabyte speed could be shared.         2.5 gig switches are still costly  but thinking I could slowly upgrade my cables, and buy 2 new 2.5 or 10 gigabyte switches.    

I am getting about 800 mps on WIFI on my main Deco currently    Not bad at all.  I get about 900 to 940 mps wired on my PC.  The 2nd Deco I get around 500 MPS on WIFI        If you are using Multi gig fiber let me know your setup and the speeds you are getting on Wi-Fi and wired   .   

Edited by genobkk
  • Haha 2

Thanks for the straight answer :biggrin:

And I sometimes think why I pay for 1000/500 at 3BB.

A friend who hasn't a thick wallet asked me about an offer for fiber internet at his Jomtien condo.

I told him to opt for the cheapest 300/300.

He is completely happy after changing from some creeping old DSL.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Question, please

I am with TOT, upcountry, very satisfied

When I have a speed test with TOT, I have ( just now ) 1050 mbps download and 248.80 upload

and with Speetest Ookla, 812 mbps download and 238 download

why  such a difference ? TOT is lying to attract customers ? 

thanks 

31 minutes ago, Aforek said:

TOT is lying to attract customers ? 

ToT speedtest will know their "best/nearest" server to test against.

Ookla has it's own algorithm to find a near/suitable server.

Generally there are rarely two identical speed test results. Many factors influence the result.

1050 is more than usual network cards/cable can handle?

So a bit suspect!

All in all I wouldn't think about too much about these numbers/differences.

Try fiddling with Ookla and select a specific server e.g. in your home country.

Will give much lower numbers.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, RayWright said:

On second thoughts. Thrust SSC 1228 kph.

Screenshot_20221122-015050_Chrome.jpg.7012b2e8f17c39fd4d1512c2d45d938e.jpg

I don't think you'll get far, with 2 x Rolls Royce TurboFan Spey engines, you'll end up with more mopeds sucked into the engines than actually passing them!

And now learn how to make videos of such a rolling rocket. My favorite commercial. 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chosenfew said:

Starlink, works great, fast, private, love it. A little pricey, but if you have the money, nothing in Thailand comes close to the service and speed…

Rubbish, starlink absolute top speed is capped at 500 Mbps, (200 for home users)

21 minutes ago, Chosenfew said:

Starlink, works great, fast, private, love it. A little pricey, but if you have the money, nothing in Thailand comes close to the service and speed…

What do you need for it? How much is everything together and monthly? What speeds to you get? Which IP do you get - Thailand? 

Edited by Mickeymaus

13 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Thanks for the straight answer :biggrin:

And I sometimes think why I pay for 1000/500 at 3BB.

A friend who hasn't a thick wallet asked me about an offer for fiber internet at his Jomtien condo.

I told him to opt for the cheapest 300/300.

He is completely happy after changing from some creeping old DSL.

I started at 30 mbps I think, and then they kept on increasing it over the years. So by the time I switched from AIS to True, I wanted 1 gbps since that's what I had on AIS. And True did the same, every now and then they'd offer to bump it up. It is really only useful for downloading large files like OS updates, but for work I am also dealing with 1 GB+ firmware files that need to be downloaded/uploaded for customers, so being able to complete in seconds rather than hours (for example firmware for 50 different models at 1-2 GB each downloaded from internal FTP and loaded into customer's FTP server).

When multicasting Zoom calls with up to 1000 participants, all with cameras on, my previous 1000/1000 suffered sometimes and picture went into mosaic, so I had to use external FHD screen or even just sharing part of smaller screen to ensure image used low enough bandwidth for all to see clearly. Now even lazy 5K main screen share of Keynote is crisp on the other side, static pages or videos. Hence there are uses for WFH where fast internet is very handy.

However I agree that for an average user, even 300 mbps is a lot. Then again, that's maximum speed to nearest gateway. It likely drops 90% internationally. And even more when using VPN. So if someone is streaming through VPN from overseas, a much faster internet might be required than if they were physically there.

34 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Rubbish, starlink absolute top speed is capped at 500 Mbps, (200 for home users)

I think Starlink slows down if there are a lot of users in a particular area. So for built up areas like cities it might not be so great. I guess that it might be OK in Thailand, but what for? Cable is faster and a lot cheaper, except if you live in the boondocks. Also, I wonder about the long term commercial aspect of Starlink since a certain percentage of their eventual thousands of satellites would have to be replaced each year. If I lived in North Korea it would be great though, except I would end up in some labour camp. The cost would have to come down a lot to perk my interest here.

14 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

it's really cool to run speedtest and look at the needle go to max immediately... Or clicking download and not realising it's already completed so you keep clicking on download link just to end up with 15 copies of the file...

I can relate to this! Running Ookla speed tests on my True 500/500 fibre connection makes me so happy ????.

It's virtually impossible to get that kind of speed back in Australia because of the way the government stuffed up the national broadband network rollout.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Pathetic!

Maybe, but then again, True is paying for it. My only requirement was National Geographic and Gigabit internet. So I'm paying for cable TV but get internet for free with it.

3 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Please try to get a life...

I have it. But worried about you from time to time... If you're offering yours, I'm not interested.

2 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Maybe, but then again, True is paying for it. My only requirement was National Geographic and Gigabit internet. So I'm paying for cable TV but get internet for free with it.

I have it. But worried about you from time to time... If you're offering yours, I'm not interested.

Sorry Tom, I do not understand you saying that True is paying for a Speedtest, which you say you are so happy to see go to the speed you pay for.

And remember............nothing is for free.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chosenfew said:

When I check on the Starlink link above for Bangkok, Thailand, it says not approved here awaiting "regulatory approval " 

Are you referring to your home country, or how did you get it here, or are you a Musk fan boy blowing bubbles?

20 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Sorry Tom, I do not understand you saying that True is paying for a Speedtest, which you say you are so happy to see go to the speed you pay for.

And remember............nothing is for free.

I'm aware that nothing is for free, Kannika, and that internet cost is included in cost of the TV package.

It is just that cable TV signal needs to get to me somehow. As no new cables can be laid through condo, and True already installed fiber to each unit, they deliver internet and cable TV through the same cable. There's a router that is all in one (doesn't have a separate fiber modem), which has cable TV socket as well. As part of TrueVisions Platinum package for about 2800 baht or so, 1 Gbps internet was included. Then there was an offer for 99 baht or something like that to bump it up to 2 Gbps, so I took it.

Admittedly, compared to AIS PlayBox service previously, True has much clearer image and doesn't have dropouts like AIS one had, alas at much higher price - but AIS only has options 50-250 mbps at this place. So I switched back to True.

Hence for me this is working, for others it might not.