anyone using faster then 1 gigabyte internet ?

genobkk

14 hours ago, Aforek said:

Question, please

I am with TOT, upcountry, very satisfied

When I have a speed test with TOT, I have ( just now ) 1050 mbps download and 248.80 upload

and with Speetest Ookla, 812 mbps download and 238 download

why  such a difference ? TOT is lying to attract customers ? 

thanks 

Check which server Ookla is using. Maybe not TOT server. TOT would only check speed to local gateway while Ookla can choose server to test against.

Most accurate is testmy.net.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, KannikaP said:

You cannot get faster out of a router than is going in.

Of course not but the bandwidth would be combined in this case to make use of the full connection.    Example 2 gigabit. 800 on WiFi on main Deco, 900 on LAN.  The total would be almost 2 gigabytes    The 2nd Deco could  share also.       Next generation routers will have all multi gigabit LAN ports so this won’t be an issue 

17 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Getting 960-980 mbps up and down on MOCA 2.5, between 750 and 850 mbps on Wifi ax (a bit less on ac), and about 1900-1950 down/970-980 mbps up via 10 gbps network adapter (on custom built i9 iMac), connected through Netgear switch. True Gigatex 2000/1000 fiber. Note: used Speedtest app from Ookla, installed, to nearest server.

What I do with it? Nothing. Work from home from start of COVID. Probably 30 mbps would suffice but it's really cool to run speedtest and look at the needle go to max immediately... Or clicking download and not realising it's already completed so you keep clicking on download link just to end up with 15 copies of the file...

Updating OS is great though. Whole OS update of a couple of GB downloads in seconds. And using several computers, downloading or streaming at the same time obviously has no dent on internet speed.

One 4K stream requires 30 gigabits. , so it certainly adds up    6k, 8k will be coming soon.  Typically 500 mps is a good speed for most if it is just one or two people sharing.      I certainly never max out mine.  As others have mentioned the international speeds suffer in Thailand but now it’s much better than before.  If you need faster speeds  international I suggest setting up a dedicated VPN in Singapore.     I can stream anything from anywhere without issues. I couldn’t say that just a few years ago 

17 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Sometimes when I have gone for more speed , cost more and not

always better , reliability is more important to me ,as I get my 

entertainment from streaming to Tv , so must be no buffering ,

I have NT (TOT) 1000 MB - 500 MB  490 Thb , I am getting no

where near that when squeezing out of Thailand to where I get

all my content. but its reliably ,cheap , and I am happy with it

regards Worgeordie

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

2500 Gigabyte internet, where do I sign ???

That's 20,000 Gbps.

Even 1,000 Gigabyte is an impressive 8,000 Gbps.

Jokes aside, Gigabit internet, or faster, is pretty much wasted unless every component in the path supports it, that means the server sending the data, the international links, your home network, your devices etc.

Yes that was sort of my point. But multi gigabit internet is here so time to upgrade your  switch’s and old cat5 cables   WiFi 7 will even allow WiFi to break the 1 gigabit bottleneck some say WiFi 6 can but I certainly have never seen anything greater then that on WiFi 

Edited by genobkk

Surprised about the fixation with speed - if your Ping is 50ms, all the speed in the world will not make you happy except when down/up loading large files. For everyday Internet use it's much more important to have minimal latency to get fast page loads - not Gigbit speed records.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, genobkk said:

One 4K stream requires 30 gigabits. , so it certainly adds up    6k, 8k will be coming soon.  Typically 500 mps is a good speed for most if it is just one or two people sharing.      I certainly never max out mine.  As others have mentioned the international speeds suffer in Thailand but now it’s much better than before.  If you need faster speeds  international I suggest setting up a dedicated VPN in Singapore.     I can stream anything from anywhere without issues. I couldn’t say that just a few years ago 

"One 4K stream requires 30 gigabits." I guess you meant 30 Mbps.

"Typically 500 mps is a good speed for most". I guess you meant 50 Mbps. This should be more than enough for most. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

"One 4K stream requires 30 gigabits." I guess you meant 30 Mbps.

"Typically 500 mps is a good speed for most". I guess you meant 50 Mbps. This should be more than enough for most. 

Yes not sure why I keep doing that and I am not able to go back and edit

20 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Out of curiosity I would love to know what one does with such bandwidths (Gigabits/s not Gigabyte BTW).

Data center, commercial streaming/pirate server?

Agreed. For most purposes it is totally unnecessary. Maybe if you are streaming extremely high quality videos or as you say having it as a server.

5 hours ago, Chosenfew said:

Starlink, works great, fast, private, love it. A little pricey, but if you have the money, nothing in Thailand comes close to the service and speed…

Not available in Thailand is it?

"Starlink is not yet available in your area due to pending regulatory approval. As we receive approvals our coverage area will continue to expand, so please check back for future availability in your area"

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a custom set-up where the GPON connects directly to an adapter in an old PC which I am using as a PF-Sense router..  10GBE SFP fiber output to a managed switch which has 2.5 Gbps ports.

Blazing fast speeds from optimised services like Google, Microsoft, Game downloads etc.. but no better than lower packages when it comes to international bandwidth.

image.png.9cb293151dc066704d9425212abc98e4.png

Note: Service is BYOD 2000/500 AIS

Edited by Satcommlee

On 11/22/2022 at 12:14 PM, mistral53 said:

Surprised about the fixation with speed - if your Ping is 50ms, all the speed in the world will not make you happy except when down/up loading large files. For everyday Internet use it's much more important to have minimal latency to get fast page loads - not Gigbit speed records.

Is there anything at all we can do to decrease the ping?  Particularly I'm thinking about to US servers.

On 11/25/2022 at 1:42 PM, Satcommlee said:

I have a custom set-up where the GPON connects directly to an adapter in an old PC which I am using as a PF-Sense router..  10GBE SFP fiber output to a managed switch which has 2.5 Gbps ports.

Blazing fast speeds from optimised services like Google, Microsoft, Game downloads etc.. but no better than lower packages when it comes to international bandwidth.

image.png.9cb293151dc066704d9425212abc98e4.png

Note: Service is BYOD 2000/500 AIS

Thanks.  Sounds like best to wait until prices for routers that have more then one 2.5 gigabit connections to drop  I was thinking about 1.5 gigabit but maybe betting to get 1,000 mps up and down  and start to update some LAN cables, etc.    my deco x90 preforms well but not as good as I had hoped, mostly from the one node speeds decrease a lot.   I can find the perfect spot then speeds in other areas decrease.   Lots of 2.4 and 5 ghz traffic in my area, certainly wireing the 2 together would help…..