IMF expects Thai economy to outperform global peers in 2023

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The IMF expects Thailand’s unemployment rate to be the lowest in the Asia-Pacific region, at 1.0%.

Good news on the performance forecast. Would like to know how they are measuring unemployment. Think of a number? Or more scientific?

Edited by soi3eddie

Everytime I see Thailands unemployment figures I switch off as they are simply nonsense from what I've seen when I lived in Thailand.  Unemployment in Thailand must technically be above 25% if you also count the nonexistent Prostitution and young adults one sees in every village who you never see working but always have booze and cigarettes........

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/22/2022 at 3:14 PM, BritScot said:

Everytime I see Thailands unemployment figures I switch off as they are simply nonsense from what I've seen when I lived in Thailand.  Unemployment in Thailand must technically be above 25% if you also count the nonexistent Prostitution and young adults one sees in every village who you never see working but always have booze and cigarettes........

Did it ever come to your mind that informal labour is also labour? 

49 minutes ago, micmichd said:

Did it ever come to your mind that informal labour is also labour? 

What has that got to do with my statement? Unless you mean prostitution is informal Labour? However, there is no prostitution in Thailand and if there were it is illegal hence criminal.......

13 minutes ago, BritScot said:

What has that got to do with my statement? Unless you mean prostitution is informal Labour? However, there is no prostitution in Thailand and if there were it is illegal hence criminal.......

It has much to do with your statement, because if informal labour is counted as labour then unemployment isn't so high.

The question whether it's illegal or not is a completely other question, and I'm not about to condemn Thai females.

19 minutes ago, micmichd said:

It has much to do with your statement, because if informal labour is counted as labour then unemployment isn't so high.

The question whether it's illegal or not is a completely other question, and I'm not about to condemn Thai females.

Never would as there is not many options for women who are left with a child/children: earn or starve so I will never ever decry them. My personal experience of village life was a very high percentage of the village males never seemed to work but not as many women didn't work. I would have put the figure well above 30 percent closer to 40. Just my experience (I also never worked or my wife).

46 minutes ago, micmichd said:

I am a bit confused. I always thought that formal labour is having a full time job for 5/6/7 days a week and a salary at the end of it. Informal labour is day labour hire, part time work, cash in hand but not necessarily work tomorrow.

There is more work available in the planting and reaping times and less in the growing times.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I am a bit confused. I always thought that formal labour is having a full time job for 5/6/7 days a week and a salary at the end of it. Informal labour is day labour hire, part time work, cash in hand but not necessarily work tomorrow.

There is more work available in the planting and reaping times and less in the growing times.

You're right, exactly that is the difference between formal and informal labour. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, micmichd said:

There is no prostitution in Thailand just like there are no brothels in Thailand. All brothels are bars and prostitutes are future brides of desperate old people rejected by females of their home country and want so desperately a "wife visa" for their survival in the land of smile. 

14 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

foreign reserves must have fallen over 2 years of covid and lack of tourists

USD 251 bill at end Jun at an exchange rate of 35,

USD 229 bill at end Oct but at an exchange rate of 38.

BUT

USD 286 bill in December 2020 at an ex rate of 30.

I'd say they were broadly flat but I haven't done the calculation. November numbers should be available soon.

https://www.bot.or.th/App/BTWS_STAT/statistics/ReportPage.aspx?reportID=80&language=eng

EDIT: I did the calc., the reserves were broadly flat.

Edited by nigelforbes

10 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

foreign reserves must have fallen over 2 years of covid and lack of tourists

But the billions of tourists coming so far this year have refilled the coffers apparently, I mean how else can we have such a glorious BS story....

Note to all for future reference : take anything from NNT with an extremely large pinch of salt, it is just a government propaganda mouthpiece. In this case trying to milk some positive spin from the APEC conference, including the much coveted foreign approval from the IMF MD.

Note the obsequious nature of the commentary regarding government policy contribution to this rebound.

Of course, the story doesn’t mention that the rebound (already contradicted by NNT on their own website) is mostly due to the low baseline of a Thai economy that, due to government policy, underperformed global and regional peers during the 2020-2022 period.

On 11/22/2022 at 9:23 AM, soi3eddie said:

Good news on the performance forecast. Would like to know how they are measuring unemployment. Think of a number? Or more scientific?

Yes, how do they work out the unemployment rate if you are not employed do you register or if you sell a bunch of bananas is classed as employed?

26 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Yes, how do they work out the unemployment rate if you are not employed do you register or if you sell a bunch of bananas is classed as employed?

This is what I would like to know. Is it claims for unemployment benefit (if there is such a thing in Thailand) or numbers of working age people not employed and paying social security or taxes? Given that so many people fall under the radar of the tax authorities here, how can an accurate unemployment figure be derived? Anyone know?