Is it possible to smoke cannibis in a hotel room without trouble? (and if so how)

dia1

Serious question and I'm surprised I couldn't find anyone else talking about it.

I see a lot of tourists buying cannabis and cannabis pipes at all the little dispensaries that have popped up, but where exactly are they able to use it? I assume they are chancing it at their hotel, but what are the logistics of doing that without issues?

Due to the "no smell disturbance" laws, I'm guessing they are booking rooms that are of a relatively high floor and have a balcony so they can puff outside and/or blowing out the window? I'm not even sure 'blowing out the window' would be enough as just lighting it up would definitely cause a strong smell in the room.

It's clear that not everyone is an expat with their own house/condo (at least here in BKK), and it's clear there are not enough shops or spots where someone can safely smoke outside of where they are staying. So are tourists exclusively balcony smoking? I heard that balcony smoking is illegal, but I'm not sure if that's true.

Does anyone have first hand experience staying in a hotel room, buying weed, and enjoying it in the privacy of your room without trouble? What recommendations would you give to a tourist who is looking to travel to Thailand, staying in a hotel, and would like to enjoy a bit of cannabis on their stay as well? I think the last thing anyone would want is to be stoned and have a sudden knock on the door due to smell or whatever.

6 minutes ago, marin said:

No you cant. Its not legal to smoke in hotel rooms in Thailand. Cigarettes or weed. Use the balcony or simply go outside somewhere. Its legal but simply use common sense where to have a puff. 

Is the high-lighted text a fact or your opinion?

Many hotel rooms do not have a balcony. There may be no-smoking floors, but a hotel which has a blanket no-smoking policy is discriminating against customers.

To the OP's question, I have smoked cannabis in hotel rooms for more than a half-century, up to and including 5 star hotels. During this time cannabis was completely illegal, yet I have never been questioned. Hoteliers are sophisticated business people and do not inconvenience their customers.

3 minutes ago, marin said:

You highlighted it not me. Its a fact for many hotels and also my opinion. Just a common courtesy I believe should be observed. A stinky room does not present a good impression to the next guest. I like weed and smoke it daily, but would never smoke it in a room where it would create a stink. Different strokes I guess. You have pool areas, gardens and roof tops where you can partake. 

So not illegal.

3 minutes ago, marin said:

Yes it is illegal in many hotels. Especially those that are fully airconditioned. As I said its up to you. 

Jeez.. you are one of those guys.

If it's a hotel policy, it's a policy,  It's not illegal.

You presented an opinion disguised as fact.

No more back and forth ok?

39 minutes ago, bobbin said:

So not illegal.

Like so many things here, they are "not illegal" until they are.

I think shortly after 9 June 2022 date when Cannabis was "legalized", further restrictions were added to public cannabis use... (this was when they added the 20 YO/pregnant women restrictions)...

The notification made clear that anyone smoking cannabis and hemp in public for recreational purposes still faces legal consequences of imprisonment of up to three months or a fine of up to 25,000 baht if they cause a public nuisance or pose health hazards to others.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40016662

So someone in the hotel could complain, resulting in a call to the police.

I have not heard of such an incident, yet.

Simply inquire at the hotel. Some have smoking rooms, but the majority of hotels here (~ 75%) are non-smoking.

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, bobbin said:

Jeez.. you are one of those guys.

If it's a hotel policy, it's a policy,  It's not illegal.

You presented an opinion disguised as fact.

No more back and forth ok?

Yes I guess I am. I am not that into semantics, more into common courtesy and a respect for the rules.

OP doesn't seem to be the sharpest tack in the box.

Smoking anything especially something illegal, it's pretty much the same worldwide, especially since most hotels are non smoking.

Where would you smoke in your home country if not at home ... nuff said

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Back in the UK ...........

Smoking shed in the back garden of my local pub.

And the garage of my rented house.

As for hotels, in Thailand, balcony with the light off.

In Vietnam I had a penthouse with it's own rooftop garden.

In Cambodia the hotel provided a cannabis smoking sala for everyone.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Are you smoking leaf or buds?

As of today in the land of U-turns buds are now a controlled substance.

If smoking buds you risk arrest and extortion for tea money.

And don't expect any help from a lawyer.

The term "controlled substance" has yet to be defined and so it will be interpreted however the RTP want.

• Haha 1

Most hotels will not have a cannabis policy in place so you would just follow the normal smoking rules for that hotel. If its okay to smoke and someone complains about the smell, then its just like a noise complaint you apologize and work out a compromise.

Some condo's ban smoking on balcony's, that's a condo decision an not a law, its usually in contract.

Still some dispensaries on sukhumvit offering street level smoking areas, they cannot sell beer but there's a few with separating tables to the bar next door and you can then enjoy a beer with your smoke, multiple police were walking by on Saturday and no eyelids batted. Multiple bars also have areas for weed smoking, upstairs balcony for example, safer to ask the staff if its okay.  This one may change quickly under new guidelines but its likely still related to general smoking in public laws and not cannabis ones.

General smoking laws are rarely enforced unless someone complains, it may end up the same for cannabis.

Soi 22 had some late night stop and search for drugs recently, carrying remains legal so could have been opportunistic tourist thing or they were looking for meth/yaba pills as there is a bit of a crack down in aftermath of the horrific events of last month. The people I know were not carrying either so not sure what would have happened either way.  

The problem with the stop and search is potentially vapes which are illegal but loads of people use and carry them, pattaya were fining people about a year ago but I have not heard of cases in bangkok. 

3 minutes ago, Bangel72 said:

Most hotels will not have a cannabis policy in place so you would just follow the normal smoking rules for that hotel. If its okay to smoke and someone complains about the smell, then its just like a noise complaint you apologize and work out a compromise.

I'd suggest denying it was you as the way forward.

• Haha 1

Iv'e been a "stealth" Smoker/grower. Since i moved here twenty years ago.  Dosn't matter to me if it's legal or not.

Just use common sense and you will be fine mate.

Tokin up on your balcony. Watching all the drunk tool's below. Fighting over fat 304's with corndbeef legs is a hoot ????

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KhunLA said:

OP doesn't seem to be the sharpest tack in the box.

Smoking anything especially something illegal, it's pretty much the same worldwide, especially since most hotels are non smoking.

It sounds more like you're not the "sharpest tack in the box" to be posting incorrect information. You should probably educated yourself about what is legal or not before commenting on someone's intelligent level.

And if I were in my home country, I'd smoke in my home, my car, or any hotel balcony. Literally anywhere as there are no "smell disturbance" laws.

Also, I am not asking what I would do at home or what is legal or not. I am asking where are tourists who are staying in hotels smoking the marijuana that they buy. It's not happening outside, so my suspicion was that it was on hotel balconies. It seems that the other posters in the thread have somewhat affirmed my suspicion.

It’s a fair question. Best to take it in 2 halves: 1. what is the current law; 2. what you try get away with.

Re 1, the current law, it’s a moving goalpost; just yesterday [24/11] it was reported in that

“The announcement was made in the Royal Gazette yesterday [23 Nov] and is effective immediately.

The announcement states that the Ministry of Public Health has declared the THC-rich cannabis flower as a “controlled herb” with restrictions. Two big changes come as big blows to the industry…

1. Advertising the sale of cannabis flowers is prohibited

2. Cannabis consumption inside shops/cafes [eg dispensaries] is banned unless sold by a medical practitioner”.

How the previously mj-friendly hostels and hotels would respond to this new edict is anyone’s guess.

Re 2, what you try to get away with.

Well that’s a personal choice, but all it takes is someone to complain to the hotel front desk that your smoke is disturbing them (currently an offence in law), and the management would have little choice but to respond, possibly by involving the police. I haven’t seen any news stories about this actually happening, so I have no idea what the real-world consequences would be, and I’m not interested in speculating.

If I was a tourist, I’d play it by ear, maybe take a stroll along a reasonably quiet beach, or a busy beach if it was noticeably weed-friendly, maybe smoke on the balcony, but that would depend on what type of hotel I was in.

cheers, good luck

7 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:
On 11/26/2022 at 7:26 AM, bernard75 said:

Great idea! While keeping it out of your room, you spread it to the whole hotel. Genius!

so in the hotels you've been you get smell of sheet of all the others rooms? my last room was a floor 17, only birds could smell that. Genius

many hotels now has smoked in room cleaning fee now, so ask upon booking if they have smoking rooms available, i'm sure there are still seedy hotels that has smoking room with tar stained walls and curtain, the typical cleaning fee for smoking in the room is 3-6,000 baht, for that difference you could've booked a hotel with balcony 

• Like 1