Multi entry visa extension result?

Please only answer if you have direct experience.

if one gets a multi entry visa in ones home country and one extends it with 1 year in Thailand after some 80 days or so (eg based on marriage), will the extension keep multi entries for the extension (extension of what date exactly?) or will you need the reentry permits once again? Or you can't even extend it because the visa is still valid for almost a year, but have to leave the country every 90 days...

If you apply for a one year extension of stay you will need a re-entry permit to keep you extension valid when entering the country.

If you entered the country using the multiple entry non-o visa you would get a new 90 day stay that would make your extension invalid.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Blablaat said:

if one gets a multi entry visa in ones home country and one extends it with 1 year in Thailand after some 80 days or so (eg based on marriage),

If you come to Thailand with a multi entry visa it wouldn't be normal to extend it in the first 90 days. It would be normal practice to leave the country every 90 days and then extend before the visa is due to expire. Not a lot of point paying twice to be in the same place.

The visa would be valid for a year and you can if need be extend it at any time during that period and what you did then would be up to you.

I was on a Non O ME based on marriage when the pandemic broke out and when the grace period came to an end I had to get a 12 month extension as I coud not leave the country. The visa was about 7 months old at the time and as far as I could see the visa remained valid until it expired at the end of that year. It certainly wasn't stamped cancelled and there was nothing said about it being cancelled. All a bit academic as the borders were closed at the time.

If you did extend the visa early and left the country there would be little point in trying to re-enter on the visa as you would be faced with another extension shortly after. Simplest option would be to leave and come back on extension plus re-entry permit.

This is where understanding the difference between a visa and a permission to stay greatly assists understanding. If you extend the 90-day permission to stay by a year, you are allowed to stay until the expiry of the new permission to stay. However, if you leave Thailand, the permission to stay is cancelled. (You can prevent this by getting a re-entry permit that keeps the permission to stay intact if you leave and re-enter Thailand.) If you cancel your existing permission to stay by leaving Thailand, and your multiple entry visa has not yet expired, you can use it to enter Thailand, receiving a fresh 90-day permission to stay.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah ok, so there is no way to keep the included multi entry goodiness for the 1 year extensions. It just becomes a 1 year extension of one entry that needs its own reentry permits bought. I thought/hoped maybe one would keep the multi entry attribute for its future extensions

15 hours ago, Blablaat said:

Ah ok, so there is no way to keep the included multi entry goodiness for the 1 year extensions. It just becomes a 1 year extension of one entry that needs its own reentry permits bought. I thought/hoped maybe one would keep the multi entry attribute for its future extensions

There is no direct link between the visa and the current permission to stay. The visa is not a re-entry permit.

Edited by BritTim