The Japanese clean up - literally - while Germany stares into the abyss again

webfact

image.jpeg

SPONSORED BY

HEMINGWAYS PATTAYA

by Rooster | ASEAN NOW

Last night's highlight - especially for audiences in Asia - was the remarkable success of Japan who beat Germany 2-1 coming behind in the process.

Germany like Argentina the night before could have been several goals ahead but Japan restricted them to a well taken Gundogan penalty.

In the second half however Japan grew in confidence and with some wily changes from a calm and collected manager got two goals. The second was a particularly opportunistic effort that created pandemonium in the stands where Japanese supporters outnumbered Europeans. 

The result really puts the Katze amongst the Tauben with Germany's next match against Spain, 7-0 winners over hapless Costa Rica in last night's 11 pm (Thai time) match. 

If the Japanese can beat Costa Rica, too, it will leave the Germans having to beat Spain. This will enable the Japanese to really clean up.

image.jpeg

This is something that their spectators at the tournament have been reported as doing. 

At the opening ceremony match Japanese supporters were tidying up after themselves before going home and last night the BBC reported they were doing the same after the Germany match, putting celebrations on hold.

They said that in Japan cleanliness is a part of the culture and is drilled into its people from early childhood. 

They quoted a professor at the Osaka University as saying that Japanese people tidy up to "demonstrate pride in their way of life".

_127757362_whatsubject.jpg

Might be something we could all learn in Thailand.

Having worked with the Japanese I have known about this for years, but it's still great to see good cultural examples being exhibited on such a massive stage like the World Cup - and not just for the cameras. 

Gambate Ne! to all my Japanese friends. If England don't win I hope you do!

In last night's other games Croatia and Morocco played out another 0-0 draw. Fair play to Morocco for keeping Modric under wraps.

In the late game this morning Belgium - still ranked by FIFA as the second best team in the world - squeezed past Canada 1-0 with the Canucks missing a penalty and several other decent chances. 

Not to worry, I always miss seeing the puck at ice-hockey. 

Spain's win was compared by pundits to England's demolishing of Iran. Though most were cautioning that first match results and later tournament games against better teams were two entirely different matters.

Tonight the action in Thailand continues in the familiar (by now) 5pm/8pm/11pm and 2am time slots:

Group G:

Switzerland vs Cameroon 5pm 

Group H:

Uruguay vs South Korea 8pm

Portugal vs Ghana 11pm

Group G:

Brazil vs Serbia 2 am

Highlights for me tonight are the appearances of so many star players in the game.

Son should be on the field for South Korea in a face mask after hurting his cheek playing for my beloved Spurs. 

He's a hero in my family and I hope he can inspire his team to win.

Ronaldo is never out of the news and the last week has been wall to wall Ronaldo what with the Piers Morgan interview and severing of ties at Utd. 

But he is still a great player (for me number 4 GOAT) and capable of magical moments, especially in front of goal when it's really needed.

I'll be rooting for Ghana though who often field promising teams.

Finally the wait at 2 am is over for the first appearance of tournament favorites Brazil and their plethora of talent..... 

Neymar, Vinicius Junior , Rodrygo, Lucas Paqueta and Richarlison perhaps the most drool-worthy.

Enough to keep anyone awake in Thailand's wee hours. 

Rooster

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-11-24

• Like 2