Repair Saltwater Pool Vaccum Cleaner Head

carlyai

My vaccum cleaner head has signs of rust, so I had a look today and there are these large lumps of metal inside the head. All really rusty.

Could I fix this problem by cleaning the metal blocks, paint them and wrap in plastic cling wrap?

Any suggestions?

If I buy a new head it will probably have the same metal weights in it.

Seems strange a vaccum head for swimming pools would have large lumps of anything that can go rusty.

20221124_104441.jpg

20221124_104436.jpg

How old is your vacuum head?

Most modern vacuum heads use lead weights (which do not rust).

Yours appear to be cast iron.

Once rust takes hold it is extremely difficult to get rid of... it's like a cancer.

So even thorough acid cleaning, painting, and sealing them in plastic will not stop the rust... only delay it for a while.

You have two choices... either live it what you've got (which should be OK as long as the rust stains do not spread to your pool grout), or buy a new one (with lead weights).

A similar sized new vacuum head will set you back about 2,000 baht.

image.png.4fdd1252e879ec0e6331c3931a7c759a.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Encid said:

A similar sized new vacuum head will set you back about 2,000 baht.

The same one you can get from Lazada x-times cheaper. I used to use the same one - few of them in years (not bought that time on Lazada), however, also much cheaper than 2,000 Baht.  I think the one on the picture above is not 14", that would need 6 + 6 wheels, the sections are modular connected by screws.

Recently bought another type not with wheels but with brushes around. And not so wide - it does not much matter when taken few more laps - it's better for cleaning around stairs. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i1662736049-s4636808875.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1

(Seeing now that I paid some 100 Baht less than showing now.)   

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Saanim said:

Recently bought another type not with wheels but with brushes around. And not so wide - it does not much matter when taken few more laps - it's better for cleaning around stairs. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i1662736049-s4636808875.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1

I like the brush idea... less moving parts and the wheel type always seem to have problems with the split pins.

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking about floor vacuuming:

When cleaning the floor from the sides, one will realize how easy it is when having rather a narrow pool.  Then instead of pushing/pulling a long tube back and forth (what might whirl up the fine dust) it's easier to walk along each of the long sides and push the vacuum head in front of you. That would not be quite possible for a pool 6 x 6 m, even with a very long tube.

In the previous OP such pool is planned. Then not only this cleaning factor is to be well considered but also that the swimming - if it is for a good daily exercise - is better in a longer pool that in a square wider pool.  If the area for a longer pool is available.   

Thanks very much for the great responses. ????

Weekly I don't clean the pool, but a farmer guy we use a lot, who helped me build the pool does it, so I don't know how the wheels are going.

So going with the recommendations, I'll order the brush type.

13 hours ago, Saanim said:

Speaking about floor vacuuming:

When cleaning the floor from the sides, one will realize how easy it is when having rather a narrow pool.  Then instead of pushing/pulling a long tube back and forth (what might whirl up the fine dust) it's easier to walk along each of the long sides and push the vacuum head in front of you. That would not be quite possible for a pool 6 x 6 m, even with a very long tube.

In the previous OP such pool is planned. Then not only this cleaning factor is to be well considered but also that the swimming - if it is for a good daily exercise - is better in a longer pool that in a square wider pool.  If the area for a longer pool is available.   

I'm not sure what you mean, the pool has been built for over 5 years. Just getting round to fix all those jobs that never got done. ????

3 hours ago, carlyai said:

I'm not sure what you mean, the pool has been built for over 5 years. Just getting round to fix all those jobs that never got done. ????

The hired boys hardly will take a good care as you would do. And they do not see what's getting wrong and what needs to be repaired, replaced.  Moreover, the works around the pool will benefit the owner.  Not only by saving the maintenance money but contributing to his physical condition.  

And the physical condition is the main purpose for having the pool (beside the show for neighbours).  Swimming is the sport No. 1 for old people, quite more enjoyable than a torturing and sweating on gym machines.  And when swimming then rather in longer laps, the width is not much needed (unless often having a pool party with 10 people). 

That's what I mentioned that when planning a new pool then to make it rather longer than wider. What for having and caring for so much water in the middle of the pool that hardly will be reached.    

• Haha 1